Newbie not so Newbie needs help

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GerryH
  • 1 Post By waitwhat

Newbie not so Newbie needs help

Old 02-09-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Newbie not so Newbie needs help

Sorry if these questions have been asked before but after a month of research and phone calls, I still have tons of questions. Itís been 20 years since I last participated in an event. I started racing electric 2wd stadium truck and moved to nitro because it was cheaper. Now with the invention of brushless motors and LiPo Batteries, it seems easier and cheaper to run electric these days. It seems that 2wd buggy and SCT are the preferred classes at my local track. Iíve pretty much decided on a RC10SC6.1. I used Tekin back in the day and see they are still at it so Iím planning on using their T-190 servo, RS Pro Black Edition, Hotwire 3.0 Bluetooth, and G3 Spec R motor. To control the beast Iím looking at either the Futaba 3PV or 4PV. I called Tekin and I spoke with a rep and he told me that he ran the same setup and ran hot as in near 200 degrees so he said that maybe I should look at the RSX Pro. I called Harizon, because they own Futaba now, to get the differences between the 3PV and 4PV and didnít get much info. Is there anyone out there running this same setup? What turn motor are you using or should I sure use? What size battery will work? I would like to have one with 5000 mAh or more. Iím thinking that I should be ok with the 3PV and Hotwire to make all my adjustments or will I? Should I spend the extra for the 4PV? I want a setup that will be competitive and that I wonít have to change to run in any events. Thanks for all the help in advance and please no replies saying this because itís better. I would like details so I can make my own informed opinion.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For SCT stock classes, it's a 17.5t motor. But some tracks have their own rules, so check where you'll be racing to confirm. One of my local tracks switched to 13.5t for SCT.

You can't go wrong with good name electronics. Guessing the ESC heat issue is around the fact that the RS Pro doesn't have a fan, but the RSX Pro supports one. Have a friend who uses Tekin and he hasn't had problems with his RS ESCes in SCTs. It's usually the motor that needs cooling, especially if the track is a technical one. Lots of ways to add a motor fan with a mid-motor setup.

There are some differences between the 3PV and 4PV. The 3PV is more of an entry level radio. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It only has 3 channels, but you really don't need more than 3 running onroad/offroad cars. 10 model memory, though you only get 4 characters to name the model. The 4PV has a lot more advanced functions, 40 model memory and a display that can show a lot more information. I have a 4PL and I don't use much more than subtrim, trim, endpoints, etc. Just standard stuff. Guess it depends if you're planning on having a large fleet of vehicles. There is a pretty significant price difference. Seems the long term costs is in receivers if you have lots of cars/trucks. But they use the same receiver, so that cost will be the same. Don't think from a competitive perspective, there would be any difference between the two.

You're going to probably run a shorty battery in that truck. There are some shorties that are over 5000mah, but many are 4600-4800. I'd buy the battery with the highest C rating in that size you can afford in the 5000mah +/-500mah range. Also be aware there are HV or High Voltage shorty batteries. At the track you can't charge these over the standard voltage, but if you charge them to 8.4v you're fine. Their MAH ratings will be higher because of the higher voltage for comparison.
jgil089 likes this.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

I can't help on the Tekin gear.

Batteries - persoanlly i use Orion. They aren't cheap but 2 shorties have done me for 2 seasons and thats running 2 cars, so 1 battery pee car and charge between races. I will get new ones this year as my son is starting now, but I reckon I would get another year out of them. They have good punch and have lasted.

3PV vs 4PV. I have a 3PV(my sons) and have had a play with a 4PV but have a Sanwa. I would have bought 4PV but got a deal on the sanwa. Have you picked either of them up? The 3PV is physically quite small. Also the menu takes some navigating because it just has left/right buttons, so to get to say EPA you have to push the right arrow a lot. The 4PV is easier because you can go straight to the option you want since it has sub-menus (is that the right phrase?). Anyway, ypu choose EPA then from there it opens another menu with channels, hopefully you get the idea. The 4PV also has more features than the 3PV, off the top of my head channel mixing is the only useful one I can think of which allows you to adjust your steering rate as your speed changes.

I would get the 4PV as I see a radio as an investment, moreso than the chassis or motor as you will probably change cars etc long before you upgrade the radio.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys for the info. I think I’m going with the Tekin RSX Pro with a 13.5t Sep r. No rules on motors so I guess that’s what I’ll get. I hope I won’t have to change this to run any big events in a stock class. I’m thinking about a ProTek R/C 2S 120C Graphene + HV 5800mAh Shorty LiPo Battery. I’m still in the air about the 3PV or the 4PV. I looked at Futaba’s website and they had a list of functions for the 3PV and not so much on the 4PV. I wish I could compare the functions of each. My gut is saying 3PV has enough for my needs but I would hate to wrong. Heck, I might just say the heck with it and buy a Slash and run in the stock class from time to time because it seems most at the track want to run 2wd buggies ��. Decisions, decisions, ����.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Tekin RS Pro Black Edition would require some extra heat control as it's not really designed for prolonged racing. It's more geared for short bursts/speed runs for RC drag racing. Unless you are going to run a 6.5T motor or something below an 8.5T motor, the Tekin RS Gen2 (non-spec) will do everything you need.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The RS Pro Black Edition is not just for drag racing and would do just fine with a 13.5 in a 2wd sct. The RSX can handle lower turn motors better because of the aluminum case and fan. The RS Pro used to be Tekins highest end mod motor capable esc. If you were that worried with the Black Edition you could add a fan that blows on the solder posts (those are the heatsinks on the RS Pro Black Edition)

The 3pv is an entry level 3 channel system, the 4pv is a higher end system with 4 channels and telemetry.
RDNKTaz likes this.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Tech Rookie

If the only selling point for the 4PV is because it’s a higher end system with 4 channels, a bigger screen, and telemetry then I’m good with the 3PV. Besides, the 3PV has telemetry also.