Futaba T3pk Question

Old 02-05-2019, 12:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Futaba T3pk Question

So I picked up this radio the other day. Never seen anything quite like it (only been doing rc for 3 or 4 years) and info seems to be sparse...

What is a T3pk? How is it different from a 3pk which seems like the more normal model? What is this additional transmitter spektrum pack? What different positions does the wheel move to? Is that for lefties?

Thanks for any info you can provide

Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

I have that same setup..

12 years now.

the spectrum is a NON Futaba add on part.. so no Crystals are needed...

and the reason it has 2 antenna... the taller one is not used by the Spectrum unit
Old 02-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

T3PK and 3PK are the same radio. I don't know why they call them 2 different things.

The 3pk was originally a 75mhz radio that used a module that held the crystal(you can see the spot for the crystal to be inserted on the left side of the radio). That radio has been upgraded to a 2.4ghz Spektrum system. It should work with any of their older receivers. I would contact Spektrum and they should be able to give you a list of compatible receivers. The 2.4ghz system has a frequency hopping system, so they no longer require crystals. Once you bind the transmitter to the receiver they will only talk to each other. You can unscrew the large metal antenna from the radio as it is no longer used. It looks like this radio was dropped at some point. The hole in the top of the Spektrum model was supposed to hold a larger antenna, but it looks like it broke off and a small antenna was fitted to replace it.

The wheel is able to be attached to either side of the radio and that drop down piece is able to be rotated to almost any angle to give you as much control over comfort as it can.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

This old system does not use Frequency Hopping, it will choose a free channel and stays on that, the system is called DSSS. Looking arround you will find nes SM3000 receivers (not the newer SM300 model)

Problem with this old system among many current FHSS systems is that it can have glitches because all those frequency hopping transmitters will come across your static chosen frequency..

Do not know what you have payed but Futaba has several new FHSS models for an affordable price.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

FYI... I contacted Spectrum on a new replacement receiver.. took 3 weeks for a reply.. NO new receivers will work

Only the old ones... so you will need to find a working used receiver..

I did the above in December 2018... so current information.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
This old system does not use Frequency Hopping, it will choose a free channel and stays on that, the system is called DSSS. Looking arround you will find nes SM3000 receivers (not the newer SM300 model)

Problem with this old system among many current FHSS systems is that it can have glitches because all those frequency hopping transmitters will come across your static chosen frequency..

Do not know what you have payed but Futaba has several new FHSS models for an affordable price.
I did not know that. I assumed that all the 2.4ghz had frequency hopping of some sort.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post

Originally Posted by Myt3rocks View Post
I did not know that. I assumed that all the 2.4ghz had frequency hopping of some sort.
reason I retired my 3PK in December.... racing with 9 other racers.. with the new systems... glitches became common..
at first I thought my receiver was going bad.... got new system...
put 3PK in my drift car.. just for parking lot fun.. no more glitches.. no other radios around
Old 02-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 78 (99%+)

I put a Radiopost module and receiver in mine, i may have pics.