Newbie need help on radio, esc and battery >

Newbie need help on radio, esc and battery

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chuck_thehammer

Newbie need help on radio, esc and battery

Old 01-31-2019, 02:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie need help on radio, esc and battery

hi there guys! Im a newbie and wanted to try the f1 race. Can you recommend a good low to mid priced radio,esc and battery that is legal in race tracks here in socal. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

go to the track and ASK... many tracks have there own rules.. and types of equipment allowed..
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Chuck is right about going to the track. It’s the best way to see what’s being run. I’ll be switching my F1 from Spektrum to Futaba this summer. And from a Reedy ESC to Hobbywing. As for batteries I’ve used Team Orion and GenAces.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

I'm an fan of Futaba, look at the 3PV and 4PV. Personally I would buy the 4PV but you may want to go cheaper and get the 3PV. Sanwa is good too but the rx cost heaps more than Futaba. I've tried other cheaper brands and you really do get what you pay for. Its worth looking secondhand too.

ESC - check the rules first to see what you need, ie blinky or is boost allowed. To start out you could look very cheap like the Trackstar 80amp turbo ESC for about USD40. It has blinky mode as well as allowing boost etc so is pretty versatile. I have a couple and they do exactly what they say on the box. If its blinky (my F1 is but I'm in New Zealand) then look at the Hobbywing Prostock ot Justock as well.

Servo will depend on the kit you buy and whether you need low profile or standard. My F1 can run either but a standard size needs some of the screw tabs cut off. I lile Savox for performance vs price but there are heaps of options. I find a 1251MG is plenty in an F1, I don't need any faster.

Batteries - I like Team Orion but they are at the more expensive end. Others I know swear by gens ace and Muchmore. Just don't cheap out on a charger as some of the very cheap ones can at best ruin a battery or worse catch fire. SkyRC S60, D100 or Q200 are pretty good although their discharge rate is slow, bang for buck they are hard to beat.

Motor - check the club rules as they may run a spec motor or just say a ROAR approved motor. Starting out it won't make much difference if you have the fastest motor around as it will just mean spinning in circles more. I picked up a Speed Passion really cheap which has done for a season. I'm focussing more on offroad now so will stick with that even though its much slower than the new breed of motors, it gets me around the track.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you all for your help