Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By mushroomed
  • 1 Post By ChappyEight
  • 1 Post By Troubles Dad
  • 1 Post By billdelong

How Many Charge Ports for the Track?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default How Many Charge Ports for the Track?

I have a very novice question. If I'm planning to run 3 classes at my track each race day (2WD Stock Slash, 2WD Mod Short Course, 4WD Mod Short Course) and all 3 run LiPo (or LiHV) batteries, I'm thinking a 4 port charger might be my best bet, yes? I have 3 batteries for each truck so, in theory, I should be able to use one battery per race (2 heats, 1 main). However, if I end up in the B-Main, then I'm adding an extra race, so I'll need to charge a battery. Then, if I add in a couple practice runs, there's no question I'll need to charge.

So, I know there's no right or wrong answer here, but I'm curious what you all would suggest.

Thanks,
Chappy

P.S. For reference, I currently already own a Hitec X4 AC Plus. The reason for this post is because I'd like to start picking up some LiHV's so I'll need a different charger for those.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you are racing, generally the rule is that batteries can only be charged to 8.4V. You can still charge the LIHV batteries using Lipo mode to achieve this, so you don't necessarily need a new charger if you're just planning to race.

To your question answer tI think 4 ports would be easiest but you could definitely get away with a two port charger, particularly if you start the day with all batteries charged.
ChappyEight likes this.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Tech Initiate

That makes sense. I actually had forgotten the ROAR requirement of only charging to 8.4v. What I didn't know is that I could charge LiHV batteries on the same setting as my current LiPo's. So, from the sound of it, I should probably just hang onto my X4 AC Plus. Thanks for the quick response!
mushroomed likes this.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

with my 7.5 lipos... 59.00 hobby king specials I run 2 races on 1. with them being 5 min... the.. second battery for 3 rd heat then after it sits for 1/2 hr start fast charge for main which usually goes 10 min if you have 5000's or smaller good luck. dont go out and do 20 laps waiting for the grid to line up messing around unless its a 10000mah battery....jmo I use a 4 port 20 amp charger plus a single for doing it in case. all 12 volt plugs in to a sealed battery that powers all my chargers for a whole day BETTER then hooking up to elect that might blow a fuse . then when you go to race its dead or not charged
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

A few years ago I was in the same place with racing and 3 classes each for my son and myself, so I had a couple of X4 chargers and seemed we could keep up with the back to back racing, but seemed to take longer to charge the packs and when attending a big race we where under voltage on our packs, then bought a icharger, the 308 & 406 as lots of good talk about them, and what I found was batteries where charged to the 8.4 volts and most times at 10 amps charge they where done in 12-15 minutes and a 4s pack was done in less than 25 minutes, as we race on a small indoor carpet off-road track and a lot of times its race-marshal-race, but between the 2 chargers we can keep up, even playing the bump up game we can charge and be ready by the time the next race is ready to go, as the X4 chargers just did not seem to be on par with today's racers, as I had 3 chargers and struggled at times as always seemed to be waiting on them to get done, so maybe check out a icharger
ChappyEight likes this.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Rule of thumb is to have 2 packs per car, and technically you only need 1 port with a parallel board to charge up to 6 packs at once; iCharger has set the standard with 40A charge rate, you get all 6 packs charged in about 30 min. Simply rotate your packs throughout the day charging 3 packs at a time on the parallel board so you always have a fresh charge between rounds. Charging 4 x 6A will work, but the quality of the charger will take you longer to charge overall, assuming efficiency is your goal I would go 10A per pack so if 3 packs on the circuit, then I would charge at 30A... etc
ChappyEight likes this.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys, this is very helpful for someone just starting off in actual racing.