Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Motor soldering and Trinity 21.5 setting questions >

Motor soldering and Trinity 21.5 setting questions

Like Tree2Likes

Motor soldering and Trinity 21.5 setting questions

Old 01-12-2019, 04:16 AM
Tech Initiate

In my opinion, fixed timing and fdr make sense only if you can use only one type of motor. For example, in the last Xrs Round in Italy we had to use 4.5 fdr in stock class: but the motors (HW 13.5) were provided by Xray Italy.This rule force driver to test (and buy) different motors in order to find the best at 50 deg and 4 fdr.
By the way, speaking about esc, wich setting do you guys suggest for 21.5 blinky with fixed timing and geearing? I'm using a HW Xerun Xr10 Pro stock
Old 01-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Tech Adept

Yea, its really nice when the peak of torque and efficiency sits right where it needs to be. Seems crazy that the process is trial end error. I didnt have anyone to ask about recommendations. I have a bunch of extra stuff that rarely gets used from when I was trying to work out the hardware. 21.5 motors are right around 200watts but the slope of torque/rpm would be a great spec for a motor mfg to publish.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Yesterday I tested my Monster Max on a mid-to-slow, narrow and technical indoor asphalt track.
On the motor checker, I noticed a big rpm improvement from 51 to 54 deg timing (on the can).
On track, It worked differently.
With 54 deg timing, a lot of power (especially in hi-rpm range) during the first 2 laps: then, the motor get slower lap by lap, especially in low rpm range.
So I decreased the timing from 54 to 51, apparently the motor was a way more consistant. Almost the same main straight speed (I didn't notice the hi-rpm difference I saw on the motor checker), but more low-rpm power and less "fade-effect" during the run.
Plus, during the last run the motor was 105 F.
Is it correct?
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

I would set the timing to 5.6A draw on the analyzer, that's what Trinity recommends, then gear from there, I would send Trinity an email explaining the class and car you're using and ask them for a recommended rollout or FDR after that just to save yourself a bunch of time and money on pinions that you might not need.