Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
would like some help deciding on a new radio >

would like some help deciding on a new radio

would like some help deciding on a new radio

Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default would like some help deciding on a new radio

i currently have the Spektrum DX4S and had a receiver (srs4210) stop working unexpectedly (was working the day before). I understand things happen, things break, but when i called tech support to see if they could help me figure out if its broken or just glitched or if there was any debugging i could do to get it working, they told me that receiver was discontinued, and it costs 40 dollars per hour for debugging and it wasnt cost effective to do anything with it and that i should just buy a new one.

Had they given even a little effort to help me, I wouldnt be looking for a new radio. For me, customer service is the most important for businesses to keep me as a customer, and nothing will get away from a business faster than bad customer service. I understand I am cutting off my nose to spite my face, but i honestly dont care.

Instead of buying a new receiver for my new xb2, I was thinking of just buying a new radio unit (not horizon hobbies)

I thank you if you made it this far. Here is what i am looking at in the order. If there is any reason to not get one of these, please let me know.
1. Futaba 4PLS - Inexpensive. I obviously dont need 4 channels, but i like the big screen and telemetry and futaba has been around for a really long time
2. Futaba 3PV - Cheapest. I dont like the small screen and it only has 10 model memory (i have 14 cars, so i would need to keep some cars on the old radios)
3. Sanwa MT-S- Basically the same as the 4PLS reasons, but only has 8 model memory. Receivers are very expensive, but small.
4. Futaba 4PV- Very Expensive for me. I really dont want to spend this much. However, if it is night and day better than the others, i might spring for it. but it would need to be a hugely noticeable difference. I see online many people recommend this one

I am leaning towards the 4pls. I dont want to take a step down from the current radio, so if any of these are worse than the DX4S, please let me know that also

any insights/thoughts is very much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just went thru this... my 3PK receiver died.. dirt got inside and killed it.. not bad for 13 years of use.

I ended up with the 4PLS.. after searching for days to compare..
except for the external transmitter antenna.. it a good Fast radio.. well faster then my 3PK...

I see A-main still has it on sale.. and use the code to reduce it more... I DID.....
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

i like the idea of the telemetry but i am realistically not going to use it. especially seeing you need to buy a bunch of bits to use it. i also did more research and found the 4pls antenna is discontinued, so if it breaks, the hunt is on. the MTS doesnt have an external antenna. plus the receivers are tiny which is really important for my buggies.

the only things holding me back on the mts is the 100 dollar receiver. that is almost twice the price of the futaba. the mts only has 8 models. however, at 100 dollars per receiver, i think i will only be using this radio on a couple of my cars. which is fine. my spektrum is really only connected to 5 or 6 of my cars right now.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

The 4PLS antenna is just a simple wire antenna as used on many receivers and transmitters like Spectrum etc. I believe it is even with a standard pcb plug.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I just bought my first radio and went with Sanwa. So far it has been great. I think a radio is one of those items I'd buy new as opposed to used. YMMV.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
The 4PLS antenna is just a simple wire antenna as used on many receivers and transmitters like Spectrum etc. I believe it is even with a standard pcb plug.
Yes it is. I have changed one in my son's radio.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

antenna is an easy fix... its a single wire... and a plastic holder... you can make something work...

besides 99 percent of the time.. if you break the antenna.. the wire is OK.. glue / heat shrink / different tube..
Old 01-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

I know this isn’t the one you asked for but I would recommend Sanwa MT 44. Almost the same price as the Futaba’s. I have ran 4PLS and 4PX from Futaba then switched to Sanwa M12S and that was a huge step up when it comes to feeling. I sold my M12S and ordered M17 but due to postponed release of M17 I bought a MT 44 from Sanwa. I have the same feeling with the MT 44 as I had with M12S except that MT 44 is lighter.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Arctic RC View Post
I know this isnít the one you asked for but I would recommend Sanwa MT 44. Almost the same price as the Futabaís. I have ran 4PLS and 4PX from Futaba then switched to Sanwa M12S and that was a huge step up when it comes to feeling. I sold my M12S and ordered M17 but due to postponed release of M17 I bought a MT 44 from Sanwa. I have the same feeling with the MT 44 as I had with M12S except that MT 44 is lighter.
But that is your opinion. The Futaba's and Sanwa are with normal digital servo's equal in performance. How they feel is a personal thing and if you want to be sure then go to a shop or a track and ask if you can hold them for just the feeling. Also the feeling on a transmitter can change a lot regarding the battere, a light weight LiPo of a heavy NiMh will give a different balance.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
But that is your opinion. The Futaba's and Sanwa are with normal digital servo's equal in performance. How they feel is a personal thing and if you want to be sure then go to a shop or a track and ask if you can hold them for just the feeling. Also the feeling on a transmitter can change a lot regarding the battere, a light weight LiPo of a heavy NiMh will give a different balance.
Of course itís my opinion but after using the radio that the OP asked for I gave him my own findings. But I can tell a differance between the two brands even if I run normal digital servos which I do on all my cars. Tried Sanwa SSR servos but couldnít feel a differance. Sanwa feels more connected than futaba but I canít say if futaba 7px is bettet than Sanwa M12S because I havenít tried it but that is a whole different price range. M12S is way more connected than 4PX and MT 44 feels the same as M12S.
Just my experiance!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seems like an extreme decision that can be fixed with just spending $30 on a new receiver (assuming you don't need 3+ channels). None of the manufacturers are going to help you troubleshoot an retired/unsupported product. Most would just say it was no longer supported and move on without even offering fee based support. I will also say the fact that Spektrum has a representative on this forum is another positive IMO.

That being said, just about any manufacturer will have a TX that will do what you need it to do. You just have to figure out what works for what you want to spend including all the receivers you need to change out.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Seems like an extreme decision that can be fixed with just spending $30 on a new receiver (assuming you don't need 3+ channels). None of the manufacturers are going to help you troubleshoot an retired/unsupported product. Most would just say it was no longer supported and move on without even offering fee based support. I will also say the fact that Spektrum has a representative on this forum is another positive IMO.

That being said, just about any manufacturer will have a TX that will do what you need it to do. You just have to figure out what works for what you want to spend including all the receivers you need to change out.
i dont disagree that it is extreme. however, it seems more illogical to me to give a company more of my hard earned money after they refused to attempt any help when i had a problem when their product failed. i also think its great they have someone on the forum, but again, i havent had any offers from them to try to help me.

i already had a different receiver that i am using from my other car, so I am still using my spektrum for now.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 76 (99%+)

All i have to add here, is that having used Futaba Radios for over 30 years, their support (from my experience) has been top, both in Europe and the US. Futaba USA tech support is relatively easy to get ahold of! My son runs Sanwa, as such Desoto in the US is not much focused on Support Vs. Sales.

others experiences may vary of course, yet this is also based on the past 14 years in the US.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My dad has a 4px and an M12 and they both feel great and I haven't noticed any difference in speeds with them. I use an mt4 and it also works great. I'd look toward the 4pv or the mt44 as I've driven a friend's car and the mt44 was rediculously light and felt great.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rekim View Post
i dont disagree that it is extreme. however, it seems more illogical to me to give a company more of my hard earned money after they refused to attempt any help when i had a problem when their product failed. i also think its great they have someone on the forum, but again, i havent had any offers from them to try to help me.
You are missing the point.

However, I would make sure that whatever brand you go with, they will provide you the level of support you desire for a discontinued product. I will wager you will see the grass isn't greener (for that scenario).

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service