Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How is Trinity able to continue selling "ROAR approved" $175 motors? >

How is Trinity able to continue selling "ROAR approved" $175 motors?

Like Tree20Likes

How is Trinity able to continue selling "ROAR approved" $175 motors?

Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Does the 150 dollar rules say something about tax? If not then there is a hole in the rule....
Neither ROAR nor Trinity have any control over sales tax. In places like Montana and Oregon you pay no sales tax, in parts of Washington and California you pay around 10%. Because it varies so wildly across the country and even between individual counties and cities within each state it should not be a factor.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
what ROAR approved motor did you run in 4x4 SCT?
I'm running the HobbyWing 4300KV motor which is listed on the approval list here:
http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/...lessmotors.php

two shoes likes this.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 312 (100%+)

Any clown can come up with a rule, and even convince people to vote it in

The issue of actually enforcing it is another matter.

If a rule isn't enforced, it's not worth the paper it's written on. Roar's "$150 motor" rule has about as much bite as a geriatric tiger with no teeth.
biz77 likes this.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Always loop holes. Sell motor for $150 and offer all the hop ups as separate items.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boostin7 View Post
Always loop holes. Sell motor for $150 and offer all the hop ups as separate items.
That's not really a loop hole. It's explicitly allowed.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
That's not really a loop hole. It's explicitly allowed.
Yep, according to the ROAR rules, you could add $500 worth of upgrades to a motor as long as the starting price of the assembled motor was no more than $150 and it would still be legal, but that's not the point.

I'm curious as to why:
A. No other manufacturer has put motors out there for a price greater than $150.00.
OR
B. Why all of the other manufacturers that are playing by the rules have not banded together and forced ROAR to enforce their rule.

It all seems fishy to me.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Could be fishy, but remember those overpriced Orion Magnesium motors... but to be honest if someone wants to run Trinity and pay those prices, well then why not... or run something else. Is that "overpriced" Trinity any better than the next motor, probably not, considerring how far manufacturing and brushless technology has come. Ran Trinity for a while, 1/8 onroad (not GT) but after a while I got tired of paying their prices, so i moved on...

will ROAR do something about it, probably not, they possibly have to worry about other things!

...Ernie needs someway to cover the cost of them cigars
Old 12-13-2018, 12:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
Could be fishy, but remember those overpriced Orion Magnesium motors... but to be honest if someone wants to run Trinity and pay those prices, well then why not... or run something else. Is that "overpriced" Trinity any better than the next motor, probably not, considerring how far manufacturing and brushless technology has come. Ran Trinity for a while, 1/8 onroad (not GT) but after a while I got tired of paying their prices, so i moved on...

will ROAR do something about it, probably not, they possibly have to worry about other things!

...Ernie needs someway to cover the cost of them cigars
hmm I wonder what Bert thinks
Walers likes this.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post

hmm I wonder what Bert thinks
He can't be bothered right now, still working on gluing up those drive pulleys.
Marcos.J and gigaplex like this.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This topic is something that has been bugging me for awhile. In my opinion, Trinity just sits atop their high horse and hold the threat of suing Roar if Roar bans the motor like their rules say. Other manufacturers are trying to stay within the spirit of the rule. I personally don't think that Trinity plays fair, but that may be an entirely different conversation. What I do know, is that I try my best not to use their products, because I do not want to support a company like them.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
This topic is something that has been bugging me for awhile. In my opinion, Trinity just sits atop their high horse and hold the threat of suing Roar if Roar bans the motor like their rules say. Other manufacturers are trying to stay within the spirit of the rule. I personally don't think that Trinity plays fair, but that may be an entirely different conversation. What I do know, is that I try my best not to use their products, because I do not want to support a company like them.
Agreed. I try not to support them either, but winning one of their motors in a raffle means I'm currently using one Luckily it wasn't the certified one.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 312 (100%+)

It all comes down to the fact that people can be bullied or bought into inaction. Trinity and other companies know these rules are just on paper only, noone's going to spend the time to enforce them, so it's a non factor. You could ask roar or whoever to grow a pair and enforce them but then it becomes nasty, legal challenges etc, over toy car motors... come on!

I learnt the hard way what happens when you try and stand up for something, and the bullying that accompanies it, so I figure best not to get worked up with these things now, not worth the hassle. You're never going to beat these people on your own, you just have to hope in time the majority overrules and that not too much damage is done to the hobby in the interim
Old 12-13-2018, 08:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think the whole rule needs banned. It makes no sense and is almost pointless
Marcos.J and billdelong like this.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
It all comes down to the fact that people can be bullied or bought into inaction. Trinity and other companies know these rules are just on paper only, noone's going to spend the time to enforce them, so it's a non factor. You could ask roar or whoever to grow a pair and enforce them but then it becomes nasty, legal challenges etc, over toy car motors... come on!

I learnt the hard way what happens when you try and stand up for something, and the bullying that accompanies it, so I figure best not to get worked up with these things now, not worth the hassle. You're never going to beat these people on your own, you just have to hope in time the majority overrules and that not too much damage is done to the hobby in the interim
#1 reason I participate in Can-Am races...
Old 12-16-2018, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by nexxus; 12-16-2018 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Abusive

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service