Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Low latency transmitter with cheap receivers? >

Low latency transmitter with cheap receivers?

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By racknpinion
  • 1 Post By Roelof
  • 1 Post By billdelong
  • 2 Post By glweek
  • 1 Post By savage24x
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Low latency transmitter with cheap receivers?

Old 10-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Low latency transmitter with cheap receivers?

So ive got a slow gt3b and looking to step my racing up as its just to slow to respond. So...Ive spent hours reading threads and figure ill just straight ask for opinions.

At this point Im thinking Mt4-S ($100 used maybe 12s if i could find one under $200) problem is receivers are expensive as they are. Is there anything out there with similar latency and cheaper receivers? Ive got 4 cars and no way i can drop that much money to switch over at the moment. I don't care about telemetry or the "bells and whistles".

I guess my question is whats the least i can spend to outfit 4 cars and have the lowest latency I can get for the least amount of money for receivers and transmitter.

Last edited by glweek; 10-21-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Your best bet is probably a MTS from Rcmart with the two RX-482 receivers. You can get the RX-380 Fh3 receivers for about $50 and at least from what Iíve been told, those offer similar if not identical latency to the more expensive Sanw receivers if used in SHR mode.
glweek likes this.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:59 AM
Tech Champion

Do not focus on latency, focus on framerate.

Latency is how fast 1 signal comes from transmitter to the servo. That within a few milliseccons max with all systems. Your GT3 has a framerate of 20ms, so at the worst moment the information takes 19ms + latency to get at the servo.
The fastest framerate is with Sanwa when using their SSR mode but that requires special servo's On their normal speed mode it is almost as fast than the Futaba FHSS High speed mode (+/- 2 to 3ms). The Spektrum highest speed does not go lower than 5.5ms but still you will notice that compared with your GT3.

Be aware that all high framerate systems requires digital servo's as well.
glweek likes this.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

I have bounced around between nearly a dozen brands of radios, mostly budget systems, but also a handful of high end systems too. I don't necessarily think that FlySky is all that bad provided you are getting a good signal. However I have been plagued with glitching from too much frequency overlap from other systems which caused very poor performance with FlySky to the point where I went on a quest to search for the best budget system. Not really worth listing them out, but what I concluded was that the Radiolink RC4GS is the best bang for the buck. My only complaint is that the steering speed feature left me disappointed, however everything else on the system works very well. Only concerns are non adjustable ergos and overall cheap feel, but it checks off all the boxes for me to keep this system as a backup. In fact I recently had to rely on Radiolink for several weeks while I sent in my primary system for service, and Radiolink did not disappoint, I was still able to hit 98% consistency and drop the same fast lap times... it just took a couple race days to adjust to the different spring tension and position of the wheel. At $10/Rx for Radiolink this gets my top pick for a 12ms system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-uYYd-lzI

There are aftermarket Rx's out there with lower quality components which make compatible Rx's for name brand systems, but most of these will get you in the 15ms to 18ms range, which are all still good performing frame rates... look for Dasmikro, LemonRx, Corona, etc...

I personally tested Dasmikro with my KO Propo and was very pleased with it, however I was not happy with having to re-calibrate the KO Propo too frequently and running 10 classes at the time was a real pain for me so I ditched KO Propo.

Prior to that system I had Spektrum, but that system would get hit with glitching about as frequently as FlySky... I also got hit with glitching from Radiopost where the common denominator between all these systems is that they use direct sequencing.

I did more research and wanted the best quality signal for the price (about 2.5 years ago) and I went with Graupner because they offered 2.5ms Rx's for $25 and this system has worked well for me since. I started with the X-8N but just like Radiolink it doesn't properly actuate the "Steering Speed" feature. Graupner also offers a 2 year warranty and they sell ESC's which can be programmed from the radio without the need for a programming box. I recently upgraded to the X-8E and that system is significantly better than the X-8N, the "Steering Speed" is top notch, along with the myriad of other features. Only complaint I've heard from others is that Graupner is designed for people with big hands, the brake tends to go farther back than most other systems, for me I like having a little more travel which gives me more range of control for timing jumps and chicanes.

If I were to pick my next system should Graupner ever disappoint me, I would probably go with Sanwa, but their Rx's tend to be pricey which is why I's stayed with Graupner for so long. I have also since cut down active racing class count down to 5 cars.
glweek likes this.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I went from using a GT3B for 5 years to a Sanwa MT-S... I still can't notice the difference. Been racing for about two years with the GT3B. One with the Sanwa MT-S.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks a lot everyone for taking the time!

Originally Posted by racknpinion View Post
Your best bet is probably a MTS from Rcmart with the two RX-482 receivers. You can get the RX-380 Fh3 receivers for about $50 and at least from what I’ve been told, those offer similar if not identical latency to the more expensive Sanw receivers if used in SHR mode.
That deal is insane! And thanks for the recommendation on the 380 $60 is a bit easier to swallow than the $100. I think this is probably the route ill take and even considering that 12s-rs deal and just be done with it...now to hold off till the 17 comes out for potential price break? Things ill need to think about.

Roelof
Good info, im finding frustrating that none of this information is easily available or actually tested. There is a youtube channel drone mesh that actually tests all the electronics for FPV quads with oscilloscopes and stuff for real data. Would be rad if someone with that knowledge and equipment could do that for surface stuff, or maybe he'd be willing to test surface if people sent it to him. Fatuba FHSS, ive heard there quick and the base radio is $200 with receivers at $60 not to bad, but i think im sold on the Sanwa deal at RCmart. Servos, that's a whole other piece of the pie i need to look into which again has painfully little info about actual tested response times and such. If you have a good source of servo info im all ears.

billdelong
Thanks for taking the time! I read through and looked at everything. I was tempted with a KO Propo RR but those receivers ARE INSANELY $$ so no go on that. Radiolink actually has one of the lowest latency's in the air world surprisingly but with the $200 and $300 deal on Sanwa that racknpinion mentioned its hard to not go that rout, especially hearing you'd go with a Sanwa if you were to get a new system with as much experience you've had with different systems.

savage24x
I had a buddy swap in a Sanwa system for a few practice laps and I could immediately tell a huge difference, so im sold on a better system at this point. Maybe it doesn't make a huge difference in dirt if that's what you race but for road it was absolutely noticeable to me.
savage24x and racknpinion like this.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glweek View Post
I had a buddy swap in a Sanwa system for a few practice laps and I could immediately tell a huge difference, so im sold on a better system at this point. Maybe it doesn't make a huge difference in dirt if that's what you race but for road it was absolutely noticeable to me.
Onroad will be a HUGE difference! I've been offroad my whole life, that could definitely be the reason I can't tell much of a difference.
glweek likes this.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

I used to race on-road asphalt and still race off-road dirt and turf... it's pretty much a wash and results are pretty much a wash whether you go with a high end radio or a cheap budget brand like Radiolink. I will say that driving with a quality system just gives you more comfort and confidence, not necessarily any faster, and actually having too fast of a response can be a bad thing... that's where using steering speed and throttle speed controls can significantly improve traction/handling on most surfaces, hence the saying "slower is faster" to a certain degree.

Anyway, here's an example of some compatible Rx's that are Sanwa compatible to consider saving a few bucks, I have ran the equivalent version of these for KO Propo and they do perfectly fine provided you don't need any fancy telemetry, they use lower quality materials like steel pins with no gold plating and the antenna is cheap Fly Sky quality:
https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-Sa...p-1275957.html
savage24x likes this.

Last edited by billdelong; 10-22-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:13 PM
Tech Regular

I noticed the delay when using a code radio that i bought to get me back in the hobby after 17 years off. I never had a decent radio back in the day and noticed that people where putting the power down out og corners at the same time as me and just going away from me.

Being I use sticks, I don't have much choice but decided to go Futaba 4grs - the difference was night and day! I found I could correct the steering heading towards the apex and it would react - thid meant I would just miss the pipe rather than before just hit it and my placement was much improved.

As i have another car I have tried out the OrangeRC receivers which in uk Hobbyking are £12 each. They are just as good although you do need to run them on another setting.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx...-and-sbus.html

As for servos, I tried the blue bird range (as recommended by Racer53 on here) from Hobbyking, tough (metal gears) and fast (0.08s) and only £18 each.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/bms-661d...sec-46-5g.html
Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I used to race on-road asphalt and still race off-road dirt and turf... it's pretty much a wash and results are pretty much a wash whether you go with a high end radio or a cheap budget brand like Radiolink. I will say that driving with a quality system just gives you more comfort and confidence, not necessarily any faster, and actually having too fast of a response can be a bad thing... that's where using steering speed and throttle speed controls can significantly improve traction/handling on most surfaces, hence the saying "slower is faster" to a certain degree.

Anyway, here's an example of some compatible Rx's that are Sanwa compatible to consider saving a few bucks, I have ran the equivalent version of these for KO Propo and they do perfectly fine provided you don't need any fancy telemetry, they use lower quality materials like steel pins with no gold plating and the antenna is cheap Fly Sky quality:
https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-Sa...p-1275957.html

Got this one today but it doesnt do anything. No LED indication or whatssoever?! Seems broken? Or is there a trick I dont know about?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by man1ac View Post
Got this one today but it doesnt do anything. No LED indication or whatssoever?! Seems broken? Or is there a trick I dont know about?
I have not tested the one for Sanwa but I ran the Dasmikro Rx's with my KO Propo for almost 2 years without any issues. have you tried plugging in the BEC into every possible channel and reversing the servo plug? It's possible that you got a dud, I was fortunate that every single Dasmikro that I bought ( 8 of them) all worked without any flaws.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have not tried it - just got an email about a new after market rx for Sanwa. Pretty good vendor, not my #1 for racing parts, but good place when you just need some inexpensive parts.

https://www.rcjuice.com/radio/receiv...iver-fhss.html
Old 01-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Tech Adept

I just went from gt3c to a MT44 the difference is night and day. I know feel in control of the car. Best upgrade I've done
Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by savage24x View Post
Onroad will be a HUGE difference! I've been offroad my whole life, that could definitely be the reason I can't tell much of a difference.
you can definitely tell in off road carpet.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I have not tested the one for Sanwa but I ran the Dasmikro Rx's with my KO Propo for almost 2 years without any issues. have you tried plugging in the BEC into every possible channel and reversing the servo plug? It's possible that you got a dud, I was fortunate that every single Dasmikro that I bought ( 8 of them) all worked without any flaws.
Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
I have not tried it - just got an email about a new after market rx for Sanwa. Pretty good vendor, not my #1 for racing parts, but good place when you just need some inexpensive parts.

https://www.rcjuice.com/radio/receiv...iver-fhss.html

I finally got it working. Man, that was a hassle. I put a transmitter battery directly in the Battery Port and nothing. Tried it again with the setup button pushed and bingo, we have a signal. My MT44 binded with FH4 in a sec.
took another 15min to figure out how to not need the extra battery and use the ESCs BEC, dunno how I did that. But sinehow the receiver seems to remember on which port the power is connected to...

Next thing which is weird: It only seems to switch on when the binded transmitter is on.

But finally managed to make it work and had a few laps in VRC, which worked flawlessly!