Search
Like Tree171Likes

Surpass V4S Motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danny325is
I am looking to try and get a feel of the demand for these motors. I have been in contact with Surpass and I am looking at importing a large order, along with the parts to service the units out there.
FYI: the motors v4s are with ROAR now getting tested.

Just looking for any feedback you have , you think it is good or bad . feel free to reply or pm me. I also thru up a quick site SurpassRacing.com you can contact me there too.
I have been happy with mine so far. I'll be testing out the 13.5T version this weekend in our stadium truck class. So far it looks to hit pretty hard like I like. Price on these is pretty good too.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

EDIT: After posting this last night, I realized I hadn't retested the Rocket with the new 2 battery setup on my dyno.

I too was very interested in the V4S. I purchased a 17.5t version from Banggood. I don't have Fantom rotor tester, but I built my own with an Arduino, hall effect sensor and a bunch of 3d printed parts.

I also own 2 x Trinity Monsters and one R1 V16 17.5 motors. I don't have rotor strength numbers from when those motors are new, so I'm not sure how much it's decreased over time. But the Rocket's rotor was about 5-10% stronger than the Trinity and R1.

I also own a minipro dyno. After tons of different dyno runs, I settled on 48 degrees which is one tick above the 45 on the can. It's peak power came in about the same as the R1 and one of the Trinity. But it's pulling way more amps. It did try less timing, but it had very little impact on the peak power.

It's not a bad motor. I paid 90 USD shipped for it. Given that most of the standard (not race spec) 17.5s these days are around 100 USD, this motor on par but also at the approximately the same cost. And as Bill asked, I have no idea about getting parts.

If you could get it for about 50 USD, it certainly would be a great deal, but at 90 USD it's on par with everything else.

One of the things I've been trying to do is use my Eagletree logger to get an idea of the RPM range certain vehicles experience at the couple different tracks I run at. Some initial tests show that even in the straightaways the motors aren't spinning up the RPMs my dyno is during a 5 second test. So I'm inclined to ignore the power data in the upper RPM range.

I'm not a serious racer, so going through the exercise of swapping different motors in particular vehicle and track testing each of them, isn't something I'm probably going to do.
airbiscuit and jgil089 like this.

Last edited by GerryH; 11-03-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:30 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by GerryH
EDIT: After posting this last night, I realized I hadn't retested the Rocket with the new 2 battery setup on my dyno.

I too was very interested in the V4S. I purchased a 17.5t version from Banggood. I don't have Fantom rotor tester, but I built my own with an Arduino, hall effect sensor and a bunch of 3d printed parts.

I also own 2 x Trinity Monsters and one R1 V16 17.5 motors. I don't have rotor strength numbers from when those motors are new, so I'm not sure how much it's decreased over time. But the Rocket's rotor was about 5-10% stronger than the Trinity and R1.

I also own a minipro dyno. After tons of different dyno runs, I settled on 48 degrees which is one tick above the 45 on the can. It's peak power came in about the same as the R1 and one of the Trinity. But it's pulling way more amps. It did try less timing, but it had very little impact on the peak power.

It's not a bad motor. I paid 90 USD shipped for it. Given that most of the standard (not race spec) 17.5s these days are around 100 USD, this motor on par but also at the approximately the same cost. And as Bill asked, I have no idea about getting parts.

If you could get it for about 50 USD, it certainly would be a great deal, but at 90 USD it's on par with everything else.

One of the things I've been trying to do is use my Eagletree logger to get an idea of the RPM range certain vehicles experience at the couple different tracks I run at. Some initial tests show that even in the straightaways the motors aren't spinning up the RPMs my dyno is during a 5 second test. So I'm inclined to ignore the power data in the upper RPM range.

I'm not a serious racer, so going through the exercise of swapping different motors in particular vehicle and track testing each of them, isn't something I'm probably going to do.
Nice info. based on what you said about how many amps it is pulling, do you feel this will translate into increased temps ?

I ran a gambit of V4S motors today, 13.5T in 2wd ST, 17.5T in 2wd Buggy, and 8.5T in 4wd buggy (open mod class).

The 13.5T and 17.5T motors I need to work on to find a sweet spot on relative to timing and temps. I left the timing on the 13.5T as it came. In my YZ2T stadium truck, I felt like I needed to go with a higher FDR to the point that I was dropping in a larger spur than stock (80T versus 84T). Mind you, the YZ2T comes with a motor guard I had to remove due to this.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That guy in the video convinced me to get a 17.5 since I'm in the market. Bangood was the only place that had one so I'll have to wait for shipping from china
Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Tech Initiate

So I have been following this thread with interest.
Snooping around amazon seems there are a few sellers of the "surpass" motors but they are selling them under their name..
I cant post links yet as my count is too low.. So use these in the amazon search
Goolsky V4S
RCRunning V4S
OR sub the V4 with surpass

ANND This guys seems to be selling the V3 versions, so he may get some V4S soon
Walmeck V3

Maybe this will help source them a bit faster than china..
Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 AM
Tech Legend

Talking more with some fellow drivers who are winning with these motors, I am going to look into dropping the timing and play with the gearing I see.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

While i was waiting for the new Team Powers Actinium V3's to arrive, i bought a surpass rocket v4s 21.5 to play with. I ended up at 44 degrees timing, but i want to try going lower with timing and bigger with the pinions.
Once my Actinium V3's arrived, i compared them to the Rocket v4s on my motor checker. Wouldn't you know, they put up identical numbers when set to the same timing. It would appear that they use the same rotor and stator.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Just ordered a couple of these but they are on a slow boat from China. A guy at my club has just switched to them and really rates them so worth a shot. Will be going in my 2wd buggy and not sure about the second, it depends on what breaks first, the Orca Blitreme I cooked on a muddy track or an old V1 Trackstar in my sons car.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jgil089
Just ordered a couple of these but they are on a slow boat from China. A guy at my club has just switched to them and really rates them so worth a shot. Will be going in my 2wd buggy and not sure about the second, it depends on what breaks first, the Orca Blitreme I cooked on a muddy track or an old V1 Trackstar in my sons car.
what timing settings has he been using and what classes is he runnign them in?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
what timing settings has he been using and what classes is he runnign them in?
I will see him on Wednesday night and ask him. He uses a motor analyser to set them to 6amp, will be interesting to see if they endbell is showing the same on both or its not very accurate. They are both 17.5T and he runs them in 2wd and 4wd 17.5T blinky which is the same as me.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:25 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jgil089
I will see him on Wednesday night and ask him. He uses a motor analyser to set them to 6amp, will be interesting to see if they endbell is showing the same on both or its not very accurate. They are both 17.5T and he runs them in 2wd and 4wd 17.5T blinky which is the same as me.
Thanks. Part of me is looking to lower the timing relative to the temps I am seeing, so curious to see what he is finding. Also if he is using a fan too what temps he comes off with.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have an order of a couple dozen motors and a stock of spare parts coming in to keep in stock in NJ, USA if you guys need anything. My plan is to do some bench testing and documenting of these motors and then get them in the hands of some racers for some feedback/reviews.
Cain likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by danny325is
I have an order of a couple dozen motors and a stock of spare parts coming in to keep in stock in NJ, USA if you guys need anything. My plan is to do some bench testing and documenting of these motors and then get them in the hands of some racers for some feedback/reviews.
Any preliminary ideas on the pricing of the motors through you?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Any preliminary ideas on the pricing of the motors through you?
I am in the middle of putting up a storefront you can check out the progress at https://surpassracing.com . It is still a work in progress.you have to CLICK on the motors link at the top to get to the store. Right now I am offering the Spec Motors (13.5, 17.5, 21.5 and 25.5) at $74.99 plus $5 bucks shipping. I just put up a coupon code of RCTECH2018 that should get you 30% off your 2nd motor.

if you buy, let me know if you hit any snags or roadblocks during checkout (This site is still in beta and the coupon code hasn't been tested yet)
Cain, Phillip F and airbiscuit like this.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Tech Legend

sent you a PM
danny325is likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.