Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wassmer View Post
Danny, I sent you a PM
Replied
Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Thanks. Part of me is looking to lower the timing relative to the temps I am seeing, so curious to see what he is finding. Also if he is using a fan too what temps he comes off with.
He didn't know the exact numbers but told me that to set at 6amps he had to increase it a lot from where it came set from the factory, and the timing number was quite high. He also said you have to be careful as even .5deg can increase the amp draw significantly. He said other motors have a wide window eher they are pretty efficient but these don't have such a wide window. They were also pretyy close to each other, like a 1 - 2 deg variance in timing between the 2 motors both set to 6amps so that sounds promising for quality control, I've heard of some brands where they can have a 10deg variance between 2 motors which in theory are identical.

Mine should be here in a few weeks and he will set mine to 6amps for me so I'll let you know how mine are then.

I hope they get ROAR approval soon, our club is hosting the national champs early next year so I figure I will enter but they enforce the ROAR rules for big events.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgil089 View Post
He didn't know the exact numbers but told me that to set at 6amps he had to increase it a lot from where it came set from the factory, and the timing number was quite high. He also said you have to be careful as even .5deg can increase the amp draw significantly. He said other motors have a wide window eher they are pretty efficient but these don't have such a wide window. They were also pretyy close to each other, like a 1 - 2 deg variance in timing between the 2 motors both set to 6amps so that sounds promising for quality control, I've heard of some brands where they can have a 10deg variance between 2 motors which in theory are identical.

Mine should be here in a few weeks and he will set mine to 6amps for me so I'll let you know how mine are then.

I hope they get ROAR approval soon, our club is hosting the national champs early next year so I figure I will enter but they enforce the ROAR rules for big events.
yeah I can see that. at its stock setting it was pretty low amp draw but I liked its RPM profile.

To confirm do you know what kind of FDR or even just spur pinion and vehicle he had in the vehicles he used it in?
Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 AM
Tech Adept

I tested an 8.5 turn and the rotor really feels super strong. Night and day upgrade from my old skyrc ares pro
Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by lexusbest View Post
I tested an 8.5 turn and the rotor really feels super strong. Night and day upgrade from my old skyrc ares pro
thats what I got in my YZ4SF, very nice motor.

Yesterday's race session I did some more running of my 2wd 17.5 spec buggy. I noticed some wheel binding using the Schumacher premounts on my YZ2 Cal2 which I didn't notice before. wonder if that was affecting my temps.

Pulled that and ran on our track which is smaller than the previous one, about 50 x 45. Motor had much better temps seen and great power and punch throughout with no timing changes from last time using it. I may play with settings a bit more though since I want a bit more punch versus RPM.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been getting a few PMs with questions and about ordering some motors. the fastest way to get a hold of me is to text me at 848-244-6224 (NJ phone number)

Update on the Shipment. Part of my order has shipped part of it still waiting to come off the production line. Until I have the product in my hands and can test and verify the quality I won't can't set expectations for delivery. I do hope I will be making the first shipment at the end of Nov, but can't promise that.

Thank you for all the feedback so far and I welcome more of it.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone replaced the bearing near the sensor board or changed it to ceramic? If so, did you have to desolder the sensor board to do it?
Old 11-26-2018, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxRain View Post
Has anyone replaced the bearing near the sensor board or changed it to ceramic? If so, did you have to desolder the sensor board to do it?
There is a bearing replacement tool for motors. R1 makes a sweet one that makes this whole process easy.

Talk to James he has one in his pit bag.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Mine arrived today, 2 of the 17.5T stock versions. Hoping to run this Sunday although weather is looking dodgy. Initial impression is the quality is very good, so far I'm very happy as they appear to be as good as my Orca Blitreme for less than half the price. The test will be at the track though.
Cain likes this.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 AM
Tech Legend

Ended up dropping the timing on the 13.5T in my stadium truck by half, will see how it performs. track really doesn't have any true straights to really open the vehicle up. May also drop a fan on it too but want to get some temps sans the fan.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Had a quick run with the 17.5T V4S in my Ultima RB6.6 and so far I'm impressed. I'm getting the timing set with a motor analyser on the weekend so this was at the 30deg it came set at from the factory. The car is much faster than it was with the Trackstar V1 and has more to go with the timing. Very happy.

My club has rebuilt the track since the last meet so I can't do a comparison like I could when I replaced the motor in my 4wd but I'm sure this would be clearing the doubles on a mixed 8th/10th outdoor clay track.
Cain likes this.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Tech Legend

Had a quick run with the 17.5T V4S in my Ultima RB6.6 and so far I'm impressed. I'm getting the timing set with a motor analyser on the weekend so this was at the 30deg it came set at from the factory. The car is much faster than it was with the Trackstar V1 and has more to go with the timing. Very happy.

My club has rebuilt the track since the last meet so I can't do a comparison like I could when I replaced the motor in my 4wd but I'm sure this would be clearing the doubles on a mixed 8th/10th outdoor clay track.
Looking forward to hearing what you settle on. What temps were you getting what was your FDR (or pinion and spur,can figure that out myself too if that helps)

Like other current gen motors seems like you don't need tons of timing. If you have a link to your track be curious to see it and its size.

Track I am getting ready for is tight, so really no large straights so may drop timing some, maybe back to factory or so.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Looking forward to hearing what you settle on. What temps were you getting what was your FDR (or pinion and spur,can figure that out myself too if that helps)

Like other current gen motors seems like you don't need tons of timing. If you have a link to your track be curious to see it and its size.

Track I am getting ready for is tight, so really no large straights so may drop timing some, maybe back to factory or so.
I'm running 69 spur and 32 pinion with a slipper eliminator. From what I can find IR of the RB6.6 is 2.6, so an FDR of 5.6, but happy to be corrected on the IR.
Temps were no issue, around 30deg c after 5 minutes. This was just in my backyard so not racing but gave it long enough to cook if it was going to.

From what I've seen people are running around 50deg timing on these motors so I expect I'll be similar.

The club is Countiesrc.co.nz but if you find them on facebook they have a post from a few days ago with the new layout which has changed heaps. Because it runs both 10th and 8th scale the track is reasonably big for 10th and only the fastest stock cars can clear the doubles, with most people having to take them as singles
Old 11-29-2018, 11:36 AM
Tech Legend

I'm running 69 spur and 32 pinion with a slipper eliminator. From what I can find IR of the RB6.6 is 2.6, so an FDR of 5.6, but happy to be corrected on the IR.
Temps were no issue, around 30deg c after 5 minutes. This was just in my backyard so not racing but gave it long enough to cook if it was going to.

From what I've seen people are running around 50deg timing on these motors so I expect I'll be similar.

The club is Countiesrc.co.nz but if you find them on facebook they have a post from a few days ago with the new layout which has changed heaps. Because it runs both 10th and 8th scale the track is reasonably big for 10th and only the fastest stock cars can clear the doubles, with most people having to take them as singles
Thanks for the info and nice track. Yeah huge compared to what I am seeing, be cooking a motor for sure with that timing and gearing for where I am running lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service