Like Tree169Likes

Surpass V4S Motors

Reply

Old 08-27-2019, 03:33 PM
  #406  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
Maxxican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura, SoCal
Posts: 2,060
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

yes motor felt flat i went back and read a lot the older posts about the rpm method i'll give that a try...
Cain likes this.
Maxxican is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:25 PM
  #407  
Tech Master
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,484
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=RCSteveH;15500637]


wow. That’s amazing how you had to gear down almost 20%. Are you running hot at all? What timing or amp draw is your motor set at?
[/QUOTE
Practice till my battery died 110* 8-10 minutes. Well the 35 pinion full speed it's vibrating hard to drive it's really wheeling front tires. Very fast motor. Stock never adjust the timing.
raved007 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:53 PM
  #408  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
RCSteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Anywhere there’s a track
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=raved007;15501051]
Originally Posted by RCSteveH View Post


wow. That’s amazing how you had to gear down almost 20%. Are you running hot at all? What timing or amp draw is your motor set at?
[/QUOTE
Practice till my battery died 110* 8-10 minutes. Well the 35 pinion full speed it's vibrating hard to drive it's really wheeling front tires. Very fast motor. Stock never adjust the timing.
you must have gotten the “certified” version cause mine sure fell short compared to my other motors
RCSteveH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM
  #409  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (256)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,734
Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)
Default

If I had the various motor tools I would have been curious to check rotor strength and resistance on the ones I had at the time as I did have one 13.5 that had all the torque AND revved very high. it was an insane motor. other was no joke but that one was something to see.
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:08 AM
  #410  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (132)
 
RC*PHREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4,901
Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)
Default

i've had 3 (two 17.5's and a 13.5). all of the rotors were between 1640-1665. for comparison, my two current x factors are both over 1700 (my 13.5 is over 1720). my v21 R1's standard rotor is 1615. i bought the 1650+ rotor and it measures 1680 on my meter (facts V3).
Cain and RCSteveH like this.
RC*PHREAK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 AM
  #411  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (67)
 
Maxxican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ventura, SoCal
Posts: 2,060
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Well, gave this motor another try on saturday practice day. still can't get this dialed in i've never had issues with any other motors like this. it will be going for sale tonight on here.

V4s 17.5 only used 2 practice weekends never got over 150* somehow i lost one of the long alum screws for the can.

$65 shipped
Maxxican is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 PM
  #412  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
RCSteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Anywhere there’s a track
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I wonder why these motors run 4200-4350kv in Nick Adams videos yet chances are the 13.5 you’ll get is 3800kv. Anyone get one that revs in the higher range?
RCSteveH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:49 AM
  #413  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (256)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,734
Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCSteveH View Post
I wonder why these motors run 4200-4350kv in Nick Adams videos yet chances are the 13.5 you’ll get is 3800kv. Anyone get one that revs in the higher range?
Outside of really torquey rotors, I'd be curious if any issues with the bearings. I had one 13.5 that was both torquey and would rev to the moon. It was one that needed that slight nipple mod if I recall correctly though.
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:01 PM
  #414  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
RCSteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Anywhere there’s a track
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Outside of really torquey rotors, I'd be curious if any issues with the bearings. I had one 13.5 that was both torquey and would rev to the moon. It was one that needed that slight nipple mod if I recall correctly though.
I don’t really see a need for any “modification” to a new motor if it was high quality and built correctly from the factory. Just got the new Fantom Torque. So far looks promising. 4100kv @6.1a. And the the Fantom rotor measures 1550 vs Surpass 1500 on the Facts machine
RCSteveH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:05 AM
  #415  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by RCSteveH View Post
I wonder why these motors run 4200-4350kv in Nick Adams videos yet chances are the 13.5 you’ll get is 3800kv. Anyone get one that revs in the higher range?
If you are talking about the 3800 KV on the spec sheet or on the Internet specs... remember this is a no-load KV on the internet site spec sheet. All manufacturer KV numbers on their spec sheets are no load KV. Nick Adams had his set at 6 amps to hit the 4300 KV. I have the 13.5 turn surpass rocket red v4s version and mine hit 4175kv at 6amps and 32950rmp. I also bought the 10.5 turn spec motor. It hit 5100kv at 5 amps and the spec sheet only says 4300, which is a no load Kv. Super strong motor. I run 4wd. I have run the v16 R1 motor for comparison... I kept the Rocket in.
​​​​​​​Also, try to remember to tune your car to your track that you run at. Don't be so caught up on the KV on a motor analyzer. They do fluctuate and it's just a tuning method to get as close as possible. The motor analyzer numbers are not very important...The gearing is more
Cain and Bry195 like this.
Scot M is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:50 PM
  #416  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (5)
 
RCSteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Anywhere there’s a track
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default


Originally Posted by Scot M View Post
If you are talking about the 3800 KV on the spec sheet or on the Internet specs... remember this is a no-load KV on the internet site spec sheet. All manufacturer KV numbers on their spec sheets are no load KV. Nick Adams had his set at 6 amps to hit the 4300 KV. I have the 13.5 turn surpass rocket red v4s version and mine hit 4175kv at 6amps and 32950rmp. I also bought the 10.5 turn spec motor. It hit 5100kv at 5 amps and the spec sheet only says 4300, which is a no load Kv. Super strong motor. I run 4wd. I have run the v16 R1 motor for comparison... I kept the Rocket in.
Also, try to remember to tune your car to your track that you run at. Don't be so caught up on the KV on a motor analyzer. They do fluctuate and it's just a tuning method to get as close as possible. The motor analyzer numbers are not very important...The gearing is more
I guess I got the bad apple of the batch cause mine barely hit 3800kv set @6a. 10% difference in Rpm is huge. Since it’ll affect 2-3 teeth on the pinion. Glad you’re happy with the Surpass, mine was quickly replaced with the Fantom
RCSteveH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 AM
  #417  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (256)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 31,734
Trader Rating: 256 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCSteveH View Post



I guess I got the bad apple of the batch cause mine barely hit 3800kv set @6a. 10% difference in Rpm is huge. Since it’ll affect 2-3 teeth on the pinion. Glad you’re happy with the Surpass, mine was quickly replaced with the Fantom
It happens unfortunately. The motor I had that didn't go high on RPM in comparison to my screamer was a torque monster, so took a different type of gearing.

Personally, I am curious if Surpass is wanting to really get into the motor game at a competition level since last I heard they had that V4R edition motor or whatever the black and silver can motor is and didn't submit that to ROAR, even though its supposely better?
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 PM
  #418  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Florida
Posts: 406
Default

You can look at motors two ways. Peak power or torque at a specific rpm that you drive the car at. Kv really doesnt help with either even though it has created benchmarks people aim for that seem to work out but its a tangent of what you real care about...the 2 previous that i mentioned. 125 watts at 6000 rpm is better than 100 watts at 7000 rpm. Kv can lead you to believe that 100 watts is better than 125. Normally it doesn’t because people test on track and modify a rule of thumb for a specific motor. They will come back and say that 4 amps is better at a different kv. This is a good way to find the efficiency of a series of motors and pass on the results to the rest of us even though its only tangentially related to power.

amps are torque and kv is very close to rpm. KV and current are very close to a measure of power and efficiency after someone measures laptimes and temperatures. But as motors change from revision to revision or demagnetize from heat the relationship between kv and power changes but it doesnt always mean power doesnt exist. Its just moved up or down the rpm curve.
Bry195 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service