Like Tree147Likes

Surpass V4S Motors

Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK View Post
without a fan, i would start cautious. with that, these motors are not like the reedy S+'s or other high rev type motors. they need to be geared higher than those. especially on a large track. with a fan, i'd say start at 31/72, but with no fan, i'd start at 30/72 with around 45 degrees on the can and go from there, temping every 3-4 minutes at first.

I will give that a whirl thanks, I am looking for the best fan option for my yokomo, I will be changing it to the truck trans here shortly.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone have any good readings on the new 21.5 Surpass. I compared the Surpass with my Trinity Max on my motorlizer and I am a little surprised how low the KV and RPM is compared to my Max. The A,B,C phase is very good. They are very close which from my understanding is good. Should I not worry so much about the RPM and KV and more so of the phase? My Trinity Max is reading about 700 more RPM with a bit higher KV than my Surpass but its phase is not as good as the Surpass.
I have yet to take apart my Surpass to re-shim it. Perhaps I can get a bit more out of it.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
danny325is likes this.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Computerjoe View Post

Motor and esc all set and ready to run in my new stock edition yokomo yz-2 dtm2. Any recommendations on gearing, its a fairly large high bite indoor clay track. I will be the only surpass in a sea of trinity, fantom racers.
I'm gearing 28/72, timing 47*, on a medium length, medium-high bite track. No fan, comes off typically @ ~130f. It's been the best motor I've had.
Cain and danny325is like this.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian10811 View Post
Does anyone have any good readings on the new 21.5 Surpass. I compared the Surpass with my Trinity Max on my motorlizer and I am a little surprised how low the KV and RPM is compared to my Max. The A,B,C phase is very good. They are very close which from my understanding is good. Should I not worry so much about the RPM and KV and more so of the phase? My Trinity Max is reading about 700 more RPM with a bit higher KV than my Surpass but its phase is not as good as the Surpass.
I have yet to take apart my Surpass to re-shim it. Perhaps I can get a bit more out of it.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Hey Brian, Have you had the motor on the track?
what timing and amp draw are you seeing?
My suggestion would be to put it on the track for some test and tune and see what you get.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
I'm gearing 28/72, timing 47*, on a medium length, medium-high bite track. No fan, comes off typically @ ~130f. It's been the best motor I've had.
i ran this past weekend on loose dirt with a B6. while i wasn't the fastest buggy out there, i didn't feel like i was down on power anywhere. because i'm running a standup tranny, i couldn't figure out how to mount a fan. so i ran without one. knowing i didn't have a fan, i went with what i considered conservative. i went 28/72 with about 45 degrees on the can. after 5 minute quals i was coming off at about 115. if i had a fan, i would've gone 29 or 30 and been right up there with the fastest of the bunch.

no complaints with these motors.
Cain likes this.