Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Sanwa RX-37W Antenna Wire and Range >

Sanwa RX-37W Antenna Wire and Range

Sanwa RX-37W Antenna Wire and Range

Old 08-24-2018, 03:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Sanwa RX-37W Antenna Wire and Range

I purchased a used Slash 4x4 and it came with a Sanwa radio and RX-37W receiver. I brought my car to the LHS and one of the guys who worked there asked me what happened to my antenna wire. He said it looked like it was cut and I assumed the previous owner must have cut it. He told me it would cause range issues, and the first time I tried to drive the car more than ~70 yards away it went out of range. I then proceeded to buy a Traxxas transmitter and receiver to replace the Sanwa one because it was only $50 for the radio and receiver and a new Sanwa receiver was $60. I then asked the guy who I bought the car from why he cut the antenna and he told me he didn't cut it. Then I proceeded to look at pictures of the RX-37W receiver and noticed that the antenna wire on the brand new receiver does not have an exposed metal part at the end of it, so it looks exactly like mine, meaning the guy who sold me the car is right, the antenna wire was not cut! The guy who sold me the car said he always kept it in close range due to the places where he was driving so he never noticed any range issues. I'm now very confused about the Sanwa receiver and have some questions I'm hoping someone can answer:
  1. Why does the Sanwa RX-37W receiver not have an exposed metal part at the end of the antenna wire? I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that its waterproof? If you look at the pictures of various Sanwa receivers on their web site ( sanwa-denshi.com/rc/car/receiver/ ) you will see that most of the receivers have an exposed metal part on the end of the antenna wire but the RX-371W (which is slightly different than the RX-37W that doesn't seem to be on their site anymore) does not (a few other models also do not have the exposed metal part).
  2. Is the Sanwa RX-37W and other Sanwa models without exposed metal parts at the end of the antenna wire intended to have shorter range than other models? I was getting less than 100 yards of range with this receiver. I changed to the Traxxas TQI transmitter and receiver and drove out at least 150 yards with no range issues.

Note: the forums wont let me post links yet including pictures uploaded via the forums own tools
Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

It is not using a shielded wire like most current recievers have. A shielded or coaxial wire needs a 3cm stripped end tip to act as an antenna.

This is just a single wire like older 2.4GHz and AM/FM receivers
Old 08-24-2018, 09:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Does the non shielded (not coaxial) wire reduce the range?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Yes and no....

The coaxial wire brings the real antenna above the chassis, far away from other equipment. A normal wire makes the antenna starts low in the chassis and could have an interference if the wire is places aside the ESC, motor and/or transponder. Normally you not notice a thing but it can happen....