Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Radiolink RC4GS for begginer racing? >

Radiolink RC4GS for begginer racing?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By billdelong

Radiolink RC4GS for begginer racing?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Radiolink RC4GS for begginer racing?

I just bought a used Tekno EB48.4 for my first real rc car. Is the Radiolink RC4GS ok, or is it noticeably slow or flawed for racing? Yes I have to learn to drive, but I don't want to grow out of it in a month or so.
The alternative is go all out on a Sanwa MTS.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Tech Adept

I just got the eb48.4 too. But to me, it is better to go for futaba 3pv or the spektrum dx5c. I myself would go for the 3pv just because of easier to get the rx in my country
Old 08-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you plan to be serious into racing, I would go ahead and buy something that you can grow into... If you just plan to race for fun, the RC4GS isn't a bad option. I would check to see if the receivers that you will need to use fit for your needs (sometimes you find an inexpensive radio but the receivers are very expensive).
Old 08-09-2018, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

I have several Radiolink systems that I've tested over the years and they have all stood the test of time. I have also compared my lap times with back to back rounds of qualifying and I was able to remain within 1% consistency and fast lap time with Radiolink vs high end systems. I'm not a pro driver, but I often hit around 98% consistency and sometimes will be nipping on the heels of some pro drivers in my area. For a novice to sportsman level driver on a budget, I feel that Radiolink is an excellent system to consider. I've never had any glitching or range issue with it on a crowded stand full of drivers.

Over time, I would definitely save up for a high end system that is loaded with ergos.... I'm currently running Graupner but I still keep a spare Radiolink system in my pit box just to have as a backup... it has saved several drivers in my area in a pinch, you never know when a system will fail on you (for any number of unforeseen reasons).

Where the ergos come in handy, is just making you feel more comfortable and connected to the car, not that Radiolink ergos are bad, they just don't offer any adjustable features. The top 2 things I've done are using foam grip tape on the handle and rubber tubing/tape on the throttle trigger to fill the slop around the throttle trigger for proper braking. You'll need to do these things to any $150 system too
DRTMI and That Dude There like this.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

As luck will have it, I tanked my Graupner last week while updating the firmware and had to send the system into the manufacturer for repair. So I've been having to rely on my Radiolink RC4G system as my backup... keep in mind that this system is older than the RC4GS and I'm still able to hit 98% consistency at the club, here's my race results from tonight so you know I'm not blowing smoke:
13.5T 4WD Buggy
4WD Mod SC

I will be totally honest here, I really miss my Graupner, it's just smoother and more comfortable, and yes the Radiolink is probably holding me back on not getting as fast of hot laps, but for club racing, it's getting the job done, you can't beat it for the price
Old 09-27-2018, 03:32 AM
Tech Adept

I have the radiolink rc4gs. I have the original one like bill and I use it to bash because I didnt want to scratch up my kopropo ex6 ( mini z version) an convert it to a ex2. I started racing stock 17.5 buggy with my radiolink and I could not get comfortable with it. The feel of the handle, the distance of the trigger pull, how the tension of the steering wheel felt wasn't adjustable.
I didn't realize how important ergonomics was. There is nothing wrong with the radiolink function and speed wise but I picked up 1.5 seconds per lap and was alot more consistent when I bought the ex2 master unit to convert my ex6 to a ex2. I just felt comfortable and more natural with it.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by s14_tat View Post
I have the radiolink rc4gs. I have the original one like bill and I use it to bash because I didnt want to scratch up my kopropo ex6 ( mini z version) an convert it to a ex2. I started racing stock 17.5 buggy with my radiolink and I could not get comfortable with it. The feel of the handle, the distance of the trigger pull, how the tension of the steering wheel felt wasn't adjustable.
I didn't realize how important ergonomics was. There is nothing wrong with the radiolink function and speed wise but I picked up 1.5 seconds per lap and was alot more consistent when I bought the ex2 master unit to convert my ex6 to a ex2. I just felt comfortable and more natural with it.
Some tip to make the trigger pull a little bit easier. I put electrical tape in forward and brake trigger. Ergo feels a lot better. Just got back into rc after 9 years, I'm using m11 wayback. I don't want to spend a lot on radio. I just settled for less and cheaper radio.
Note: Could get away with electric cars because you can program the esc with the throttle. Even though you are not pulling till the end of the throttle you can program it in esc. Im not sure with gas cars. HTH
PS. Nothing beats the ergo of high end brands.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

The sanwa mts is a much better radio for racing. It should very fast response and good value. It replaced the Mt-4/4s so probably the best value race remote at the moment.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:05 AM
Tech Regular

If you are new to R/C racing, the TX won't make that much of a difference. Practice time will make the biggest difference and you can upgrade TX later as your driving begins to highlight limitations of an inexpensive TX. You won't outgrow the radio in a month, or a few months.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Tech Rookie

There are some interesting choices out of China. I have been looking at the Gt3c and Noble from flysky. I'd watch some you tube on them to see if they are right for you but they have lots of features and low cost receivers. Maybe someone on here can vouch for them.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by amzounslide95 View Post
There are some interesting choices out of China. I have been looking at the Gt3c and Noble from flysky. I'd watch some you tube on them to see if they are right for you but they have lots of features and low cost receivers. Maybe someone on here can vouch for them.
I have owned 4 different Fly Sky systems over the years and each one of them has disappointed me for a myriad of reasons, but to sum up my disappointment with Fly Sky, they do not stand the test of time and have a tendency to glitch when too many other radio systems are in use. In contrast, Radiolink has never disappointed me at the track.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're looking for $10 receivers then the Noble isn't for you. They're $25-35 - you need AFHDS 3 receivers for it. I've been racing with mine for months with no glitching or interference issues. I also raced with a RadioLink RC4G for years and, while cheaply made, I never had glitching or interfering with it either.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

I have no experience with the Noble and had issues with AFHDS2 and older, the Noble does look promising with a higher price point, so it seems Fly Sky may be charging more to reflect higher quality perhaps

I would be interested in hearing more about the Noble after folks have about a year or so of use with them!
Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Flysky FS-GT3 and below are junk. The FS-GT5 (and I believe above) are actually pretty good. I have not owned an RC4G, but had an RC6GS and found the throttle and steering curves non-linear and could not get them dialed correctly with the expo curves. For racing, I think the FS-GT5 is a better choice.