Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
What would work better today? >

What would work better today?

Like Tree5Likes

What would work better today?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hmmm.. and they have disappointed you how? because of glitching and or range?

I guess I should have mentioned, I am going to be running indoor TC on an xray graphite chassis, black CRC carpet. its in a large warehouse, metal roofed. So my first choice is not FM.. because back in the day indoor Metal buildings were an FM issue. The DSM module in the MARS now is the SPM11013 or DSM1 .. it works great with an SR3500 receiver I have, I might have had an issue or two at times, but that almost might have been where I had things located on the chassis, etc. I think max range would be 80ft.. at this track.

I am only planning on running 1 model at the moment. I am looking to relax.. unwind, and enjoy the hobby, its not about winning .. its about enjoying and doing the best I can.. with what I have.
If I was to get a more modern radio I think that KO EX10 Eurus would be very close in style and feel to my Mars, and as I only need 1 receiver at the moment, I can pickup extras when they show up cheap on the forum.

James
Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
Yes, I probably should've given KO Propo a second chance by sending the unit in for repair, but there were too many fundamental problems with the design that I just needed to try a different brand that had addressed some key features that were more important to me.

1) EX-1 was heavy and unbalanced
2) EX-1 lacked external charger, charge port existed but manufacturer refused to sell a charge adapter for the system
3) EX-1 programming was very difficult, way more trouble than was worth it
4) KO-Propo Rx's are too expensive, after switching to Graupner I can get Rx's for about $25

To be completely honest, I really wasn't expecting my Graupner to last as long as it has already... it came with a 2 year warranty, which has it already on bought time. I had planned to switch over to Futaba or Airtronics once the Graupner started causing issue, but the system has been too good to give up. With Airtronics going bankrupt, I'm leary of trying Sanwa which pretty much will give my next shot at Futaba if/when the time comes, but Graupner has since released a newer system with even better features than what I originally got which has me suckered in with the ideology that "having the latest and greatest is better" (but within reason when factoring in price)

Brands that have disappointed me and I choose to stay away from are:
  • FlySky
  • Spektrum
  • Radiopost
what's common between these brands? they all are based on direct sequencing
With the current FHSS models from Futaba you will not be disapointed. Futaba has alway had a good reliable transmission and current receivers are cheap.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:56 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you will be fine. After everyone moved to 2.4ghz and I stuck with FM I had less glitches than when everyone was on FM together. You won't have to worry about someone else on your frequency, so really the main advantage to going to a new 2.4 setup is the lower latency, but as discussed before, that is a negligible difference anyway.

I say run the KO radio as is, but have a plan if/when it starts acting funny.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2 View Post
I say run the KO radio as is, but have a plan if/when it starts acting funny.
+1

Originally Posted by Bikerbob View Post
Hmmm.. and they have disappointed you how? because of glitching and or range?
Yes on both accounts, each system worked nearly flawless about 99% of the time. On some days it was a combination of drivers who would show up to race where there was the perfect storm of overlapping frequencies which would cause each system to glitch... where the glitching was worse on the farthest corners of the track. The car was very much drive-able, I never once crashed, but the delayed signal response was enough to significantly jack my line to make me lose 2-3 positions in a race and that was very frustrating. I did find that with Radiopost, I was able to improve the quality of the range by swapping from NiMh to 2S LiPo and I never saw a glitch on small to medium sized tracks, if I traveled to a large track then it was hit and miss to the point where I lost confidence in the system entirely. With Spektrum DSMR, I had a case where there was a large jump that was blocking "line of sight" from the antenna, so I was forced to hold the radio above my head during the race to avoid glitching every time I needed to navigate the turn behind the jump.

One tip that I learned over the years was to turn on my Tx at least one full race heat before anyone else turns on their Tx for my given race. Some systems will auto-detect frequencies in use and switch to a different band of frequencies.

For someone racing in a small indoor on-road club, chances are you won't experience any of the same problems I had on large outdoor off-road tracks.
Bikerbob likes this.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:50 AM
Tech Addict

Well, as a tinkerer, I have spent some money on a few different things.
1. Purchased the bits needed to do the upgrades to the gt3b. Programmer for firmware, voltage regulator and bearing. On their way. So I will play with that.
2. Bought an orangerx module to fit in the Mars. And a drop down wheel. So I can run my existing radio on my spectrum receivers.
3. Picked up a used Eurus ex-10. And receivers.

lol...I know your reading and shaking your heads. But what can I say I guess this tinkering is part of the hobby for me.

Now all I need to do is learn to drive the cars well enough that any of this transmitter stuff makes a difference. Lol.

James
Old 07-25-2018, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

started my 2.4ghz misadventure with a EX 10 helious .only to have the spectrum module self destruct in a big race my truck was dead radio wise at thee line.but I loved all the working 100% functions of the radio...
Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM
Tech Addict

Well the Eurus Ex-10 I got is with the RF-902s module and I have a total of 3 KR-407s receivers. I dont plan to change anything in this radio.. so fingers crossed!

James