Search
Like Tree90Likes

tekin company review

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default tekin company review

I really hate to do this but sadly I feel it is necessary.

after a number of e-mails to tekin with no response I contacted the president himself via e-mail to which he responded. the whole purpose of my email was an inquiry was to find out what their requirements were for product reviewers ( seems simple enough right?). well after a few e-mails back and forth agreeing with him and understanding his position I brought up how I have had Asian companies like HW and skyrc/toro ( my first cheetah system was a sample that I reviewed online ) and how the Asian products are just as good if not better and told him again that I understood his position and how it would fall under marketing, etc. however the last e-mail from him I found rude and insulting as he was essentially telling me I supported Asian counterfitting over usa product. well I responded in kind to him as tekin in the early 90's was caught on multiple occasions stealing ideas, designs and putting novak esc's into tekin wrapping I know as I had 2 of such tekin brushed esc's back in the day which I reviewed for the local club race publication ( back in 92/93) and informed him how he should be an expert on copies, clones and counterfits. at this particular juncture I recommend AGAINST supporting tekin. first off tekin isn't the only game in town with castle in business, also some of the Asian brands such as HW and skyrc toro also have great products some similar to tekin at a fraction of the cost. tekin would like you to believe that any Asian product comparable to their RSX esc costs about the same well I can say that is complete BS and the companies making them in asia sure as hell didn't steal a tekin design ( again I bring up hobbywing and skyrc/toro).

again I hate giving a company a bad review but really when said company ( specifically the president of said company) wants to act like in an unprofessional manner then it is time to spread the word. I have copy and pasted his last response to me below and please keep in mind the original message to him was inquiring about reviewer requirements and I agreed with his position regarding people that are just out for free product, and how the company gets hundreds of requests for free/review samples ( important note not once did I request a free product sample and yes I can prove that).

my recommendation to all is if you have cash to burn buy castle, if you don't and want something just as good go with hobbywing, skyrc/toro brands, don't support companies that treat potential customers as garbage>

degrading final e-mail from tekin vice president:I guess I am not sure why you even wanted to review Tekin products to begin with....Truth is the highend products from HW cost about the same as ours and Hobbyking does not even belong in the same sentence as Tekin. Regardless in the long run value is not just about purchase price and there are many Tekin products racing competitively today that are many years old due to software updates and the fact that our hardware is second to none in terms of reliability and performance.This is why I ask some questions before we even consider sending out free product. You did not provide anything to demonstrate that you reach any significant audience to justify the investment. In fact you are telling me we probably should not send you product because you would be extra critical and make us look bad.I understand being on a budget and have no problem with people that choose to buy those products, but to ask us for samples so you can compare us to them and throw all of this in my face is a bit hard for me to even comprehend. We have risked everything and worked extremely hard to be successful only to see it slowly stripped away by the scabs overseas. How you can justify asking me for anything when this is how you really feel is hard to understand.You apparently have more respect for the Asian companies that steal designs, pay their people nothing, use cheap components and circuit boards, sell online or direct crushing our hobby shops and the RC industry as a whole as they undercut each other in the race to the bottom then you do for a family owned and operated business that puts their heart and soul into developing these products, and supporting their customers, and provides the innovation they copy. You clearly have no clue what it takes to develop these products from the ground up and make them in America, paying taxes and American wages so people can afford to live.I rarely send a response like this but you have struck a cord and have been fairly disrespectful in my opinion with some of your comments. Hardly someone that seems like they would be able to provide an honest review and appreciate the real differences and value Tekin products provide.

and this was my final response to Jim Campbell:

please forgive all my typos as I was sending it via e-mail on my phone using voice because I was so livid with his accusative reply in regards to being more supportive of Asian companies than us ones and also note how he lumped all asia manufactures as thieves, cloners and having no designs of their own:

my last resply to Campbell:

I normally don't respond to email such as the last one I received his knee but in this case it's Justified you have struck a chord to quote you why I wanted to review antique and product because I haven't reviewed the chicken products since the early 90s right before taking went out of business why did tekin go out of business in the first place you might ask if you don't know it's because they were caught stealing designs from Novak so you are an expert at a company stealing designs with that said I don't think there's any future communications needed you have proven to me that taking is not a trustworthy company it's not somebody I want to review their products of and I will do it and overall teak and company review it which I will include all email Communications to and from to you and from you instead review be on the lookout for it cuz I'm sorry to say it is not going to be a favorable one good day

there is no need to post any replies to this topic as I will not read them not will I get notifications, this is just my personal opinion based on my experience and at this time I have no desire to ever own a tekin product tekin couldn't even pay me to take their product at this point and when I decide to not support a company I don't ( haven't supported or had anything good to say about traxxas since the early 90's when they started going rtr only).
Old 06-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

About to switch to Tekin...
ottoman, wlfgnggtr, Jowers and 1 others like this.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What the hell did I just read. I know you say you won’t read or respond, but what the hell did you expect.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

It's no surprise they will defend their products to the hilt, it's in their interest to do so

He was right in one sentence, "Tekin and Hobbywing do not belong in the same sentence together" I'd agree with that

We run 1/8 On road both 6 cell Pan car and 4 cell GT. Hobbywing ESC's are by FAR the most reliable in that class, with SkyRC / Trackstar being a close second. A number of people have tried the Tekin RX8, RX8 Gen 2 and Gen 3, I haven't seen one last a race meeting yet.

Be greatful you got a response, often I find when you challenge a company (and they may be legitimate queries and concerns) many won't even do you that courtesy.

But also to be fair, these companies probably get hundreds of emails a week asking for freebies by self proclaimed experts and reviewers. Can you provide evidence of your previous reviews that have reached a significant audience to make it worth their time?
DRTMI likes this.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your email to their president was anything like your rambling post, it’s a surprise you got any reply. Personally I see it as a plus that you got a response from their president, whether you liked the response or not.

Telling a company you you want to be a reviewer while at the same time saying that you think other brands are better doesn’t exactly I’ve the impression of a balanced or worthwhile reviewer from their perspective.

I really like that Tekin, Hitec, Hobbywing among others will post responses to posts on here and get involved with customers for problems or product development. The companies that do this are the first ones I look to when buying a product and I’ve had great products from all these companies.

It sounds a bit like you either wanted an argument from them or some free products...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
It's no surprise they will defend their products to the hilt, it's in their interest to do so

He was right in one sentence, "Tekin and Hobbywing do not belong in the same sentence together" I'd agree with that

We run 1/8 On road both 6 cell Pan car and 4 cell GT. Hobbywing ESC's are by FAR the most reliable in that class, with SkyRC / Trackstar being a close second. A number of people have tried the Tekin RX8, RX8 Gen 2 and Gen 3, I haven't seen one last a race meeting yet.

Be greatful you got a response, often I find when you challenge a company (and they may be legitimate queries and concerns) many won't even do you that courtesy.

But also to be fair, these companies probably get hundreds of emails a week asking for freebies by self proclaimed experts and reviewers. Can you provide evidence of your previous reviews that have reached a significant audience to make it worth their time?
You misquoted The Prez: "Truth is the highend products from HW cost about the same as ours and Hobbyking does not even belong in the same sentence as Tekin."

I'd be happy to put our Rx8 Gen3 up against ANY other ESC in the genre. You've had a history anyone can look up if they so chose. However go to ANY large 1/8 event ANYWHERE in the world and I'd bet my bottom dollar that Tekin powers 75% of the field. There's a reason it's been the RCCA Reader's Choice award winning ESC I believe 5 years in succession, the longest of ANY ESC and ANY brand in the category.

Tekin is happy to compete with brands like Hobbywing, Reedy, Orion, etc. Competition breads greatness and better products for the customers. Nobody offers our level of customer support in the category. If after reading The Prez's response you don't get some sense of pride in those words, perhaps you should go back and re read it.

I'm not coming at you on a personal level, I know you can appreciate that. I'd wager you and I could have a good laugh if we ever had the chance to meet in person. Someday I hope that it happens. One thing that makes us different is the desire to engage not only our customers, but some of our toughest critics. You TOO, help us get better. We appreciate you just the same
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
What the hell did I just read. I know you say you won’t read or respond, but what the hell did you expect.
Nope ....... can't top that
Old 06-19-2018, 10:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
You misquoted The Prez: "Truth is the highend products from HW cost about the same as ours and Hobbyking does not even belong in the same sentence as Tekin."

I'd be happy to put our Rx8 Gen3 up against ANY other ESC in the genre. You've had a history anyone can look up if they so chose. However go to ANY large 1/8 event ANYWHERE in the world and I'd bet my bottom dollar that Tekin powers 75% of the field. There's a reason it's been the RCCA Reader's Choice award winning ESC I believe 5 years in succession, the longest of ANY ESC and ANY brand in the category.

Tekin is happy to compete with brands like Hobbywing, Reedy, Orion, etc. Competition breads greatness and better products for the customers. Nobody offers our level of customer support in the category. If after reading The Prez's response you don't get some sense of pride in those words, perhaps you should go back and re read it.

I'm not coming at you on a personal level, I know you can appreciate that. I'd wager you and I could have a good laugh if we ever had the chance to meet in person. Someday I hope that it happens. One thing that makes us different is the desire to engage not only our customers, but some of our toughest critics. You TOO, help us get better. We appreciate you just the same

It's interesting you chose to reply to my critique and not that of the person who essentially bagged the whole company and posted email excerpts (which I assume was without permission) and essentially chucked a hissy fit because you wouldn't give him free stuff?

My opinion of Tekin products are based on my experiences. To be fair, I wish all esc's had the level of data logging you have with the Android app, I'm trying out Maclan esc's at present for the logging (and it's not going well I may add) and I think that connections by USB-OTG to the unit directly via an android app have a lot more potential than via a wireless Bluetooth or wifi unit (such as the Maclan Pico, or even remember the original Castle Mamba Max with the Mini usb port in the side? A Tekin with a direct usb connection, and the graphing data logging? Sign me up for a dozen!

But while the RS / RS Pro are solid units (Gen 1 RS Pro seem to still sell for over $100 second hand given the number of fets they have and their appeal to the rc drag racing crowd) My experience in the larger scale stuff with the RX8 hasn't been good. Look in offroad they are solid, 1/8 E Buggy, 4wd SCT, very robust, but as I found 1/8 GT is VERY hard on electronics. A 2300-2500kv motor limited to having 4s lipo high traction and over 3500 grams of car, regular amp spikes over 140-150 amps are the norm. And in 2-3 years racing that class I saw pretty much every ESC for that size tried by either myself or by other racers. And I can tell you that in my experience and observations these ones survived and were reliable.
Hobbywing Max 8
Hobbywing Xerun 150A
SkyRC TS150A
Trackstar 150A
Hacker Tensoric 180A

and these ones just didn't last

Tekin RX8 / RX8 2
Hobbyking branded 150A Esc (ZTW rebadged)
LRP IX8
Novak Activ8
Castle Creations (Cremations) Monster Max / Mamba X

I had an RX8 blow on me, grid start, qualified 3rd, pulled the throttle and smoke..... luckily a quick marshall had the batteries out of the car before any fire could spread. I also recall sending Tekin the eagletree logs of the event and being told the unit was "Not designed for that class" and dismissed accordingly.

I don't have an issue with you, Tekin as a whole or anything you stand for etc, but I am within my rights as a consumer to share my experiences using your products. It's as simple as that.

As for RCRA readers choice awards, look any award is the proverbial feather in the cap, but they've also given awards to Maxamps in the past so..... grain of salt
Randy_Pike and DRTMI like this.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:35 AM
Tech Lord

As I have done several reviews for a Dutch magazine it is not about what you want to review but what the manufacturer,distributer or shop wants you to review. Most of the time when you want to review something bells are ringing that it is more about a free sample than the review itself en then I can imagine they refuse to corperate.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
As I have done several reviews for a Dutch magazine it is not about what you want to review but what the manufacturer,distributer or shop wants you to review. Most of the time when you want to review something bells are ringing that it is more about a free sample than the review itself en then I can imagine they refuse to corperate.
very well said... and I think companies that already have sponsorships (like Tekin) are already sending their products either for free or deep discounts to effectively be reviewed and promoted through their team drivers.

The OP should be be targeting to become a team driver if he wants free samples.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Dumbest post I have ever seen. This is just someone looking for free products. I have seen several Tekin reviews with places like Live RC, RC Car action etc. No company in their right mind would give product to some self proclaimed expert to review for no exposure gain. The fact that the Tekin president took time out of his day to put this guy back in reality makes me respect Tekin even more! His response to Tekin was awesome when he claims he was reviewing "chicken" products in the 90's and blames all his spelling issues on voice email. Someone who is too lazy to correct spelling errors is for sure not someone to review your products which you have invested millions in. I am sure he is in his parents basement reading on the responses this gets.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Pay for it your self and then review it, because asking for handouts makes you biased. No one can trust your reviews if you received it for free.

AVE and Project Farm are to great youtube examples of product reviewers that dont take stuff for free.

Where do you post your reviews? I highly doubt you have enough of a following for a small time company to give a crap about. If anything I will spend more money with Tekin because they treated you this way.
Randy_Pike and Smokeyr67 like this.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I dont own any Tekin products but can say without a doubt that the OP needs to re-evaluate his position on Tekin. Asking for a "review" sample from Tekin with ZERO credentials is insane. You're lucky you even got an email back from them. Id think that just about any other brand would have the same response, if any response, to some random person asking for a free brushless combo to do a review. And no, your blog is not considered a pertinent review.
Randy_Pike likes this.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

OP refers to Jim Campbell as the president, then as the VP.
The rambling style of the "email" seems similar to the OP himself. hmmm.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Pay for it your self and then review it, because asking for handouts makes you biased. No one can trust your reviews if you received it for free.

AVE and Project Farm are to great youtube examples of product reviewers that dont take stuff for free.

Where do you post your reviews? I highly doubt you have enough of a following for a small time company to give a crap about. If anything I will spend more money with Tekin because they treated you this way.
EXACTLY!!!! the op even says that he "never asked for a free product sample". THEN WHAT IS THE ISSUE? anyone can buy a product and review it. so do it.

i'm personally not a huge fan of tekin, but i saw nothing in the prez's response that was inappropriate. especially when the OP didn't provide any of his emails that prompted the prez's reply. and the "don't bother replying because i won't read it". that just screams that the op is a big baby. well done tekin.
Randy_Pike, Smokeyr67 and Jowers like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.