Futaba Magnum 3PKS help >

Futaba Magnum 3PKS help

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By B16A2

Futaba Magnum 3PKS help

Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Futaba Magnum 3PKS help

I recently bought a used Futaba Magnum 3PKS with a spektrum module and as it's been modified the manual is of not much help in this case. Can anyone help?

- It came with a 11.1V 1450mah 3S lipo battery. I plugged it on to my charger to check and it has a combined IR of 236. Trash it?
- If so, I'd like to replace with a LiFe battery so I can leave it in. How can I determine the voltage it needs? And can I just replace it or would I need to do any modifications (to the wires or to the transmitter)?
- As this is different than the hardcase 1s and 2s lipo packs i already have, I'm wondering about the wires (yes, newbie here). Is this correct: the big white one is the balancing lead, the black one is for charging (input) and the small white one = output?
- The on/off switch doesn't function at the moment. Battery plugged in = power on. Is this normal?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:20 AM
Tech Addict

IR is not very important in a transmitter.

why not get a proper battery for your transmitter..

I have a Lipo for my 3PK.. fits without stuffing... plugs right in.. an lasted 5 times longer then the old ni-cad batteries...

I also have the Spectrum modules.... and NO.. my on/off switch works like normal...
Old 05-16-2018, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

3 cell lipo voltage.so 12.6volts.
replace on off switch.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Normally there is a battery holder for 8 AA batteries. 12v is OK Or when using rechargeable 9.6v. I believe the alarm goes when the voltage goes below 8.5v

Why replace the LiPo for LiFe? In both cases it is much safer to charge them on a balanced charger....
Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I used to run a 3 cell LiPo in my 3PK as the LiFe voltage was to low.

Regarding your power switch issue check both power switch positions, the primary large switch will switch the radio on with RF, the smaller switch on the side of the display will switch on the radio without RF, it is possible your smaller switch on the side of the display is in the ON position overriding the main switch. Look for a RF symbol on the screen when switched on with the main switch.
Stinj likes this.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by B16A2 View Post
I used to run a 3 cell LiPo in my 3PK as the LiFe voltage was to low.

Regarding your power switch issue check both power switch positions, the primary large switch will switch the radio on with RF, the smaller switch on the side of the display will switch on the radio without RF, it is possible your smaller switch on the side of the display is in the ON position overriding the main switch. Look for a RF symbol on the screen when switched on with the main switch.
That did the trick, thanks!
Also bought a Lipo that should just fit the casing without extra padding. Just didn't trust the high IR.

@Roelof: would have preferred a LiFe as there is no combustion danger with those, so I could leave the battery in the transmitter and in the closet. Would have been one less thing to worry do after a day of driving.