Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Sanwa M17- New TOTL Pistol >

Sanwa M17- New TOTL Pistol

Like Tree276Likes

Sanwa M17- New TOTL Pistol

Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Second the pelican gear! Using a 1510 from my photography days. Stores the radio, Icharger, soldering iron, and gopro. Makes you feel your gear is secure no matter what.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

another case option that i've been using for my chargers is somewhat cheaper (i dont know if this size is right --- but the price is)--
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013UCNZTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013UCNZTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i honestly let my radio "float" around w/ my cars and batteries in a hard tsa overhead approved size bag. this is similar to the pelicans, but again, at about 1/2 the price--
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X046IWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X046IWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dawgmeat and tonyd like this.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm currently using a futaba 4pl transmitter. Will I benefit buying this transmitter?

I race tc and 1/12
Old 05-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Tech Master

sanwa is going to launch new series of pgs servos which supports SXR response. if you are not in hurry of buying latest pgs servos, wait.
NEW FIRMWARE Ver. 1.01.06 for M17 will be released on Late-MAY, 2019.

New firmware add new RF MODE: FH5U

FH5U has New response mode: Sanwa Xtreme Response (SXR).
*FH5U cannot use Telemetry Function and SSL Function.

AND will release PGS2 Servos for SXR mode.

*Click to Large Version

*Click to Large Version

Last edited by choisan; 05-08-2019 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Just have my new pgs-xb servo in,will that be upgradeble to the new sxr fh5u mode with the new firmware,ore is that only for the m17 it self?
Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello,
I would like to share my experience to help those who want to make the switch to the M17. Sorry, it I'll be long.

I used a 4PL the last 6 years. I recently wanted to upgrade to a top end radio, not sure what to expect from it, as I heard and read various comments saying it would make a difference or not.
The choice was basically limited to the 7PX or the M17, but as (at least) 90% of the pro drivers use Sanwa stuff, I said myself there must be a good reason behind and I decided to give the M17 a try.

I have since done a few hours practice on VRC and one race (1/10 touring and 1/10 4x2 off-road).

First impression out of the box :
The quality is not as good as I expected from a 600$ radio, but it's still good. The fitting of the various plastic parts is definitely not as neat as on the 4PL, the "dial" switch looks a bit cheap, the English manual and menus are sometimes weird or contains spelling errors (I'm not a native speaker), and the included bag is soft and does not protect much. Interestingly, the neatest part is probably the handle which is totally useless (at least for me). Otherwise, the steering and throttle are very well-built although a bit noisy.
Of course you can adjust everything you want about the trigger and wheel position, but it is already very good out of the box.
It takes some times to get used to the menus and touch panel, it is not as user-friendly as a Futaba but I quickly got used to it.

Binding : easy and quick, no issue with either the provided 491 or with 3 ruddog receivers.
Note : the plugs on the 491 are very tight, I had to replace some plugs by others from another brand to get them to fit without forcing too much. On the Ruddog receivers, the plugs are Futaba style.

Handling/Feeling : well, that is what really matters at the end of the day. To be fair, it's difficult to make the switch after spending years with the same good old 4PL. I still don't feel as confident with the M17, but I'm sure it will be fine with some more practice hours. As for the "connected feeling" some are talking about, I have not yet felt it.

BUT, after some back and forth tests on VRC, I was a bit faster and more consistent with the M17 than the 4PL. It was a bit surprising, as I thought I had a less clean driving, but laptimes never lie.

On an actual racetrack, I couldn't do proper laptimes comparisons as the grip level was a lot higher than the last time I raced there.
For onroad racing : it felt really good, I felt it was a bit more precise and I could race tight lines consistently. I feel it's easier to apply small corrections on the steering, as the radio is more responsive and precise. I'm sure it will be even better with more practice.
For off-road : well, I think I need more time to make it work well. I didn't feel confident enough to be as fast as with the 4PL, but the difference was not big either.

All in all, I think it takes a bit of time to get used to it (probably more than if I had opted for a 7PX with ergonomics closer to a 4PL), but as my performance is already as good or better than before, I have good hopes to make progress with it.

Hope it can help some folks make their choice

dawgmeat likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Obligatory bind question of the day. On model 1 using 491 receiver perfect and with SUR. On model 2 using 491 reciever it will only bind on SHR and normal. Would not bind when it was set n SSR or SUR option . Tried binding same 491 on model 3 as an experiment. Would only work on SHR and normal. I know I am missing something, just couldn't figure out what I am missing. All help would be appreciated. Thank ypu.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

sanwa has a compatibility table, check it out
Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default M17 screen constantly on?

used it 1 race this far and have noticed that the screen pretty much stays on. It'll dim out but once I move it without touching any buttons or screen the screen comes on. Is it just my unit or is this how everyone else's m17 is doing?
Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

I think it was the same behaviour on mine, the screen backlight turn on when you move the radio.
You can adjust that to turn on only after pressing a button through the settings/LCD menu.
That's my current setting, if I want brightness to see something on the screen, like elapsed time, i just press trim 4 once and it goes bright for a few seconds.
NoobRacer likes this.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trigger View Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wireless charging can be done for less than 20 bucks!

I went with this one below because of the bigger pad.
Iím not familiar w wireless charging, is that something you need to add under the battery for the wireless charger?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RookieRacer00 View Post

Iím not familiar w wireless charging, is that something you need to add under the battery for the wireless charger?
Yes there is a small pad with a wire that attaches to the battery inside. And that small pad contains the coil that allows it to wirelessly charge.
RookieRacer00 likes this.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Can you folks please help me understand how the radio + receiver + ESC + Servo work together? I am coming from Nitro so the servo was used just to control steering and braking.

I bought a used Tekno EB410 that already comes with a servo, an ESC and a motor - none are Sanwa. I have an M17 and will be using the receiver that came with it (RX-491). What are the things I won't be able to do since the ESC and the servo aren't from Sanwa?

If I was to change the ESC and the Servo to maximize the radio's functionality, would I have to buy Sanwa products or are there other products that I could use?

Thanks.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
Can you folks please help me understand how the radio + receiver + ESC + Servo work together? I am coming from Nitro so the servo was used just to control steering and braking.

I bought a used Tekno EB410 that already comes with a servo, an ESC and a motor - none are Sanwa. I have an M17 and will be using the receiver that came with it (RX-491). What are the things I won't be able to do since the ESC and the servo aren't from Sanwa?

If I was to change the ESC and the Servo to maximize the radio's functionality, would I have to buy Sanwa products or are there other products that I could use?

Thanks.
you can use any esc you choose, there is a calibration process for each esc to your radio, it is simple to do and will be covered in the esc instructions. what brand esc is in the buggy?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
... I have an M17 and will be using the receiver that came with it (RX-491). What are the things I won't be able to do since the ESC and the servo aren't from Sanwa?

Thanks.
With the Sanwa SSR compatible servos and ESC you can make programming changes to the servo and esc via the transmitter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service