R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Like Tree4Likes

Old 02-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lipo use in TX radio advantages?

Please help me understand the advantages to using a lipo battery in my MT4s vs. AA's...

I can buy a lot of AA's for 50$ as I see those lipos running for...
Andybellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 173 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybellus View Post
Please help me understand the advantages to using a lipo battery in my MT4s vs. AA's...

I bought a 1200mah 2s lipo for my mt4, it came with a deans plug on it and had to make a adapter to get to the RX end, I can go for several weekends of racing on it, I am talking hours of track time, as when we had spectrum dx4s radios, I would replace them AA batteries every hour of use, plus for 10 bucks on eBay or less it was a no braine, plus it's lighter in overall weight, sorry Duracell
Ecrt.5 on 6s = broken parts
We stand for our flag!!!!
Troubles Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

$50 is not very much money though any 2s life/lipo deaigned for receiver use would work as well. The batteries last for years if you follow the operating precautions. Set your voltage alarm approprietly ect. Also nice to not throw a bunch of non recyclable AA’s into the trash.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 219 (100%+)

My 3PK uses a 3S lipo 3000 Mah and I just charged it a couple weeks ago. Last time i charged it was July '17 so i went 6 months between charges. I used it almost weekly thru the summer, all fall on a weekly basis sometimes at 2 different tracks on the weekend so I'm VERY happy with my Lipo! Ran about $30 so yes, it's worth it to me.
ottoman likes this.
Andy Koback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So “run time” is the big advantage?

Also, AA battery’s are recycleable, if you’re throwing them in the trash that’s your BAD, stop doing that!
Andybellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:

It's really just a runtime advantage and is usually a little lighter. If you want an alternative, I suggest Panasonic Eneloop Pro rechargeable batteries. They are higher capacity than regular store-bought varieties and you don't have to treat them in any special way. Just leave them in your radio. The LiPo batteries technically should not be left in the radio when stored.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
So “run time” is the big advantage?

Also, AA battery’s are recycleable, if you’re throwing them in the trash that’s your BAD, stop doing that!
Only "Re-chargeable" batteries are to be recycled. Cheaper DuraCell, Energizers can be garbaged.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
My 3PK uses a 3S lipo 3000 Mah and I just charged it a couple weeks ago. Last time i charged it was July '17 so i went 6 months between charges. I used it almost weekly thru the summer, all fall on a weekly basis sometimes at 2 different tracks on the weekend so I'm VERY happy with my Lipo! Ran about $30 so yes, it's worth it to me.

Does everyone leave there LIPO fully charged then? Always wondered how safe this was.

I just leave mine at storage voltage all the time (including when I run) and just top it off every now and then......even on a long weekend it only dips a couple tenths's of a volt.
Lordzod likes this.
sacmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacmiata View Post
Does everyone leave there LIPO fully charged then? Always wondered how safe this was.

I just leave mine at storage voltage all the time (including when I run) and just top it off every now and then......even on a long weekend it only dips a couple tenths's of a volt.
I might be the only one...don't know. Hoping nothing ever goes wrong!!!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #10
Tech Adept

LiFe batteries are much safer to use, I use them instead of LiPos in my radios.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

I would go for simple Eneloop batteries. They have a low self discharge, are easy to charge through the transmitter charger connector w/o the need to take them out and put them in a LiPo bag. Also after a winter storage there are many stories of puffed LiPo's and even LiFePo's which you will not have with NiMh Eneloops
Old 02-14-2018, 02:01 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Koback View Post
Only "Re-chargeable" batteries are to be recycled. Cheaper DuraCell, Energizers can be garbaged.
no andy there's a movement here in the US that wants all batteries recycled no matter wht type they are ..to many dangerous chemicals going into landfills.. so they'd like to stop that... https://earth911.com/recycling-guide...use-batteries/

Where to Recycle Batteries..straight from energizer page..
the rc guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacmiata View Post
There is no physical danger in leaving a LiPo fully charged, however this will cause the pack to age more quickly:
How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

In the past, I have found that some brands of radios need higher than 6V to prevent glitching/range issues and those problems went away when I switched to 8.4V LiPo.

I currently race with a Graupner radio which uses a 1S LiPo and I find it interesting that this radio has performed extermely well with such a low voltage when compared to other systems that have given me problems in the past. One of my deal breakers in selecting a radio system has been the need for a charge port, and the main reason I've heard manufacturers claim the charge port is dangerous is because it's not practical to balance the pack. With the 1S in Graupner there is no need to balance. I also would argue that there would be no need to balance on 2S+ packs if they are always kept at storage voltage. Another thing that I find with the Graupner charger is that it never seems to get the pack up to 4.2V, it always tends to top off around 4.1V (at least that's the voltage reading on the Tx display) and I wonder if that is the sweet spot for longevity? My system is 2+ years old with the original battery and I haven't had to replace it yet, and honestly I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer release radio anyway (before the original LiPo expires) ha!
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:

50 damn mine was 20
Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggybattle View Post
50 damn mine was 20
Agreed who spends 50 for a lipo. Turnigy sells some really good transmitter bats for so little. Sounds like some one is over paying.

just buy a LIfe battery and never worry, and one time cost vs re-occurring cost. From a pure cost over time, Life/Lipo is a no brainer.
Darkgenerals is offline   Reply With Quote