Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Wiring Setups and Connectors - High Amps and Voltage Problems >

Wiring Setups and Connectors - High Amps and Voltage Problems

Like Tree2Likes

Wiring Setups and Connectors - High Amps and Voltage Problems

Old 01-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmmm, the AS150's seem to be a great idea, I will have to consider them in the future, thanks!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey guys, sorry to bring this back but I had bought a used ESC/Motor combo and was looking for answers to my question but am getting conflicting answers.

I have a Pro-Match 6500mah 75C battery w/ a XT90 connector that has 10awg wire. The battery wires to the esc are 12awg. Should these be the same? Am I leaving power on the table so to speak?

TIA! :-D
Old 08-01-2018, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Evoking1230
hey guys, sorry to bring this back but I had bought a used ESC/Motor combo and was looking for answers to my question but am getting conflicting answers.

I have a Pro-Match 6500mah 75C battery w/ a XT90 connector that has 10awg wire. The battery wires to the esc are 12awg. Should these be the same? Am I leaving power on the table so to speak?

TIA! :-D
It depends on the motor and voltage. What is the exact esc and motor and what car is it going in? If you have a crazy powerful setup, it might be a good idea to bump up to 10awg all around.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
It depends on the motor and voltage. What is the exact esc and motor and what car is it going in? If you have a crazy powerful setup, it might be a good idea to bump up to 10awg all around.
Does it really?

(Picture comes from RCGroups discussion)

It wouldn't even be possible to be "leaving power on the table", your wires would just start to get hot. Your also making a pretty big assumption that it will be at 100% all of the time.

Evoking1230:

12 guage is more than plenty for most any setup. I doubt your doing longer than 2 foot runs wire.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

if you feel the need to run 10 ga then do it cant hurry anything where as if you ran underated ga wires it will n could.i have a few setups with 10ga wires 1 is a brushed vfs 2000 that delivers 1200 amps to a brushed motor . I used to melt battery wires and plugs but no more since I went up to 10 ga and xt 120 no more melting on return runs on a drag course the whole under .02 seconds ..3 that are brushless
Old 08-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals
Does it really?

(Picture comes from RCGroups discussion)

It wouldn't even be possible to be "leaving power on the table", your wires would just start to get hot. Your also making a pretty big assumption that it will be at 100% all of the time.

Evoking1230:

12 guage is more than plenty for most any setup. I doubt your doing longer than 2 foot runs wire.
Thank you for that.

No., no longer than 2 foot runs lol. Just always wondered if it would affect anything since the battery wires from the ESC are 12ga and the battery wires themselves are 10ga.

I'm running a Hobbywing Xerun SCT Pro ESC the previous version than the current one and a Tekin Gen2 1900Kv motor with a Pro Match 6500mah 75C battery w/ XT90 connector :-D

Old 08-01-2018, 04:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I had a 6s setup with a xerun xr8 pro and a 2250 motor with 12 guage wire. The only thing getting warm was the dean's connector I used. So your setup is plenty, some of the 10 guage wiring from the batteries is just marketing hype. Rarely do you run into setups that need it.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I am of the opinion that 10Ga wire on batteries is not just marketing hype. I think the 10Ga wire on the battery serves to conduct heat away from internal solder joints in the battery that have no cooling air flow. I do not think that implies you need 10GA elsewhere, because the Connector and ESC joints are not in a sealed container.

A racer at my track last weekend running 1/8th electric late model (basically a 1/8th buggy) with a 2650 motor melted the plastic case on his 4S pack that had bullet connectors. I personally would never use bullet connectors with that setup. I draw an average of 35 amps with a 2200KV motor, so I expect he was pulling more. I believe the bullet connector in the pack has no way to dissipate heat, unlike a Deans in open air. I think having the 10Ga wire on the pack reduces heat generated inside the hard case and so is of some value on the battery.
Darkgenerals likes this.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Good point, I never thought of it that way but using heavy gauge wire to conduct heat away from the solder tabs does make sense.