Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Best palm electric screwdriver out there. >

Best palm electric screwdriver out there.

Like Tree5Likes

Best palm electric screwdriver out there.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
If you ever work on Losi cars the clutch could come in handy though lol. I hear some of their plastics are ridiculously hard to drive screws into.
I bet, I only have the SCTE 3.0
Old 12-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

the Hitachi drill has the widest range clutch I've felt yet, I've never stripped a thread on any diff using the lowest setting of "1" and typically have to go up to the "5" setting for the M4 screws.... that is the main reason why I bought a more expensive drill, I wanted a higher quality clutch that I could trust with a lighter duty application without risk of stripping threads.

I've used cheaper drills in the past, and they sucked when it came to speed and clutch adjustment, kinda defeats the purpose if you have to hand wrench stuff, it's not as accurate, especially when it comes to evenly applying the same amount of torque to each screw of a sealed diff.

What I have learned that is more important is to use the similar method of initially tightening each screw leaving a millimeter of thread exposed because the plastic heats up to a point where the threads are starting to melt and can strip. Typically the plastic will have cooled by the time I get back to the first screw and then finish driving it until the clutch engages without risk of stripping the threads.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iluvmud
Yeah Ive heard the same... Ill palm test the clutch and will more than likely follow your method.
I have never found a need on the Robo-Bit. I was cautious when I 1st got it but after some use I got a afeel for it and knew when to stop without stripping out any screw holes. I have yet to strip a screw with it. I do finish up with the handheld driver when working in plastic.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

I recently bought the Black & Decker LI2000 and it's been pretty solid so far. Don't have any complaints about it and it was pretty cheap as well!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EbbTide
Tbh I don't much trust these clutches on the smaller drills for soft plastics. I prefer to drive the screw in about 4/5 of the way then use a hand driver for the last few turns.
I'm with you on this. I have the Hitachi listed above, I never set a screw based on the clutch. I drive it in about 90% of the way then hand tighten based on feel.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I love my Dewalt DCF680, seems to run forever. 8V MAX* Gyroscopic Screwdriver 1 Battery Kit - DCF680N1 | DEWALT
i ordered this factory refurbished. both were defective, as in didn't work unless i rotated my wrist clockwise or CCW. How is it new?
Old 11-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Suggestions for metric bits without having to buy drivers?
rhodesengr and bdeem like this.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by performula
I've had good luck with EDS Power Tool Bits, they tend to last about 2-3 years of wrenching on the 5 classes I run between 2 race days/week before the bits need to be replaced.
rhodesengr likes this.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by billdelong
I've had good luck with EDS Power Tool Bits, they tend to last about 2-3 years of wrenching on the 5 classes I run between 2 race days/week before the bits need to be replaced.
The driver discussion is great but I am having a harder time finding bit sets. Didn't know about EDS and the look pretty good but I am open to alternatives. Been looking on Amazon, Amain, Lowes, Home depot, etc.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

There are more brands with long 1/4" hex driver bits. Hudy has them as wel and searching on ebay/aliexpress you can find a lot like:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/7-Stk...626eb5437c4-46
Old 11-24-2018, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rhodesengr
The driver discussion is great but I am having a harder time finding bit sets. Didn't know about EDS and the look pretty good but I am open to alternatives. Been looking on Amazon, Amain, Lowes, Home depot, etc.
This will be the first and last set you buy. Mine are going on 2 years and show no wear.

https://www.miponline.com/MIP-Speed-...and-2-5mm-9512
Old 11-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by timannnn6
This will be the first and last set you buy. Mine are going on 2 years and show no wear.

https://www.miponline.com/MIP-Speed-...and-2-5mm-9512
Good example of what is frustrating me. I think I also need 3mm and 4mm. These RC oriented sets seem to either only go down to 2mm if they have bigger sizes or stop at 2.5mm if they include 1.5mm. Then have to buy the others separately.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Do a search for sealy torque screwdriver. It wont turn the fastener for you but it will make sure its at the right torque. Ive never stripped a screw or overtightened a bearing. It vibrates when you hit the torque limit you set. I never have screw come out and fasteners are all symmetric from left to right and front to rear. The grey t-handle version is on ebay. Best tool i own by far. My builds are very concistent now.

Last edited by Bry195; 11-25-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by performula
If cost is literally no object, can I recommend PB Swiss?
Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Meangene67
i ordered this factory refurbished. both were defective, as in didn't work unless i rotated my wrist clockwise or CCW. How is it new?
It isn't defective, that's how it's intended to work, you need to hold the button and turn your wrist in the direction you'd like it to turn. I love mine and really like the clutch for plastic parts and would buy another if my current unit ever fails, going on 2+ years without an issue so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.