Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised) >

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree157Likes

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by contacto75
Hello again,
Still not detecting my transponder...
2 more things:
The antenna 100 R resistors shown in the schematics is 100k or 100"ohm"? Because there is almost no current on the antenna.
The Crystal is 5MHZ is it enough to be 5MHZ or it must be a specific one? Is there a way to test the Crystal?

Regards:
100 ohm.... if you get the led blink, the clock should be ok for the PIC. Only thing that can be wrong is quartz frequency
Old 11-16-2018, 04:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks

I will check everything again, perhaps make a new circuit doble cheking every conection.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Transponder not detected

Hello again,

My transponder is still not detected...

Any specific crystal reference besides 5mhz?

Any trick with the antenna or resisors?

Can you, please, send me a link where I can buy a crystal that my AMB Rrc3 decoder recognizes?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-19-2018, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

I don't think you have a crystal issue, since the led is blinking fine. I'm using part number QCL5.00000F18B23B by QANTEK TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION, Farnell number 2508444, but any similar would do. I think first you must check with a fresh PIC, since you said you have made some wrong connections before. Then check the antenna, it's a very easy circuit the only thing you must look for is winding the correct size loop with enamel covered wire, remove enamel form the end of the wire to make good contact with the pads, and check that you have no short somewhere. Check the wiki for step by step build instructions. Honestly haven't had any issue with building the transponder..
Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Transponder not detected

Hello!
I have only managed to find 0.150 diameter copper wire for the antenna, is this important?
Is the antenna and signal commited by this detail?
Should I put less turns to it?
How can I find out how many turns should it have with this thickness wire?

Best Regards
Old 11-21-2018, 02:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Transponder not Recognized

Hello alll!
Any way that I can check the quartz frequency?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default AMB TranX3

Hello!
Anyone that have ported this transponders to an AMB TranX3 Decoder?
Do anyone think that it is possible?
Can anyone point me in the right direction so I try to do it? I have access to one of this decoders if any info is needed!

Some help would be much apreciated!

Best Regards
Old 11-22-2018, 09:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

our public track has chain link all around there is a lot of interference ,(psoc light blinking )
testing mine yesterday in a very lonely parking lot with the loop attached under carpet (zero interference).
rchourglass transponder ,not missing laps at full speed!!!
loop with a bit more than 12ft hits=1 signal=6 not missing laps
loop at 6ft j3 jump hits=14 average, signal=48 average , not missing laps
the last time I test it in the track it doesn't detect my rchourglas transponder but it detects the ambrc ., but then I dont know about hits and signal quality so I don't check it.
if it possible to used two amplifiers with two loops faced opposite to form large loop ,in one decoder?
how about decode the psoc blinking light in percentage background noise into the software (of course I dont know nothing about programing and I dont know how hard made this is).
but the light is hard to see in sunny day .
the problem with laptop and psu noise ,just remove the ground pin from psu plug (not recommend, but for me works) , I read a little bit about ground loops.
I will test with my laps transponder when I have chance to see rates at 6ft loop.
thank you!!!
Old 11-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by contacto75
Hello!
Anyone that have ported this transponders to an AMB TranX3 Decoder?
Do anyone think that it is possible?
I'm afraid that these kind of transponder use a completely different protocol AND frequency to transmit signal. This means that a lot of analysis should be done on a real TRANSPONDER signal before trying to modify the decoder. This might be possible or impossible depending on how hard is to decode the unique number from the packet transmitted. A lot of people put a lot of work in this task for RC transponders.... and still is not 100% covered since RC4 transponder encoding is not fully understood.
What RCHourglass decoder does is to 'talk' to the lap timing software emulating a tranx decoder protocol (optional) BUT reading RC transponders. I hope this makes things clearer
Bye, Marco
Old 11-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccaricatura
rchourglass transponder ,not missing laps at full speed!!!
thank you!!!
Well done! On the analog side (loop amp/on board amp) maybe some tuned filtering around 5MHz might improve noise rejection. Unfortunately right now detection is based on signal 'zero crossing', so it means that if we have an offending frequency other that 5MHz it's very easy to interpret as a wrong signal. Proper demodulation should improve the result but requires a different decoding logic. I'm working on that idea, but it' too early to understand if it will bring benefits. It would be very interesting to have a scope capture of the signal received by the PSOC in your case of noise at the track. Mylaps doc say that metal near the loop is a big no, I think for reflections it may cause from the TX signal. Still in your case it seems like you're getting 'noise' from nowhere.
The noise indication is NOT a true indication of 'analog noise', is a percentage of good packets vs unknown packets read during passage. 'Theoretical' max is 100% for custom transponder number firmware, 75% for the 'CANO' numbers and somewhere lower (around 60%) for RC4. This is always lower than that. Hits 1 is the minimum... so it seems a bit low.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

testing yesterday at track. with slight noise
6ft loop under carpet works 100% good full speed pass
12.5ft loop under carpet not works good, missing 95% of passes at very very very very slow speed :-)
our track is 14ft width I ready ordered components to test the payalneg amplifier.
howardcano state that is possible to play with loop capacitance for a large loop ( less capacitance)
what we need is just 2ft longer than 12ft
do I have to play with all the capacitors ? or can I play just with capacitor c1 not jumps or capacitor c7 with jump in j5?
thank you!!!!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

hello!!
testing today cano amplifier 12ft loop , with 12pf capacitor instead of 39pf on c1. blue light in psoc is flashing (noise) , hits =1>2 , signal= 16>22
payalneg amplifier same 12ft loop same location , psoc blue light is completely off , hits 9>10 , signal 75>100.
it seems that I got some damage component in the hc amplifier , i will try build it from cero.
salu2
Old 12-04-2018, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

Maybe it's just the layout of the PCB.... I've not been able to test it, but it might have some loops that pick up noise. Let us know how your rebuild works.
Bye
Marco
Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

decoder and amplifier are made in perfboard I discard the pcb's to many errors .
salu2!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Decoder testing

Hello,
I have managed to make the transponder and the decoder, apparently everything is working fine, Zround is detecting the Cano decoder and the transponder led blinks.
My question is:
Is it possible to test the decoder without the amplifier? Can the decoder detect the transponder without the amplifier?
If so, how can I do it?

Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.