Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised) >

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Like Tree66Likes

RCHourglass DIY Lap Timing (AKA Cano revised)

Old 07-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Will create the list for recheck once back from holidays.
I have already checked the ones provided in bom.pdf attached somewhere in thread, but that supplier only ships to Germany & Austria which is no go for the ones outside those countries.

Have another question regardring the decoder:
Does it read and reports noise level from loop, as it would be super useful if one could see in what range the noise is when everything is connected and ready for use.

As you know, mylaps loop came with certain amount of coax cable before loopbox. We made own loop box with a balun and if the coax cable connecting to decoder was to short we had way much higher noise compared to orig. loop. But once we used cable same lenght as original, we also got same low noise levell. On mylaps rc4 decoder.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

I could make an Xray shot from an hybrid RC4 transponder

d3m0 and AndyArdmore like this.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=condac;15231499]EDIT: i didnt remember that i already posted this...
Here are the schematics for the working loop box i made: /QUOTE]

Hi Condac, please, do you can explain better your soluction? For example, the P1 conector ir direct to amplifier? Or goes to Psoc amplifier?
If your system is running with loop and resistor, is better to my track...
Other question, what kind of wire do you use? Rigid? what diameter?
P.S. sorry with my english.

Thank you

Ederson
Old 07-16-2019, 11:19 AM
Tech Initiate

As I'm not good at point to point soldering on raster plate, I've decided to make the board for the decoder and the the loop amp.
Once I have both boards ready I will try to solder them together with help of my friend, to see how the thing works.
Very excited already.

Last edited by toplakd; 07-16-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Slowly getting there.
Finished the PCB design for transponder
21x21mm 4 layer pcb,

Old 07-22-2019, 02:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nice! If those PCBs work, it would be a nice contribution to this project and could be uploaded to github. I myself was working on a PCB layout, the first try didn't actually work. Unfortunately right now I don't have time to work on it. Maybe during the winter.
A working PCB is what will boost this project, I'm sure.

Andreas
Old 07-22-2019, 02:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Right now I'm stil thinking of which loop amplifier should I build first.
The Rchourglass/Cano one, or Payalneg LM317, as on my indoor track the width is only 1.2meters, but when we set up the track outside, than its more than 4 meters.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by toplakd View Post
As I'm not good at point to point soldering on raster plate, I've decided to make the board for the decoder and the the loop amp.
Once I have both boards ready I will try to solder them together with help of my friend, to see how the thing works.
Very excited already.

Nice work. I would suggest you move the crystal as close as possible to the kit pins. Usually the closer the better for external oscillators
toplakd likes this.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andreas78 View Post
Nice! If those PCBs work, it would be a nice contribution to this project and could be uploaded to github. I myself was working on a PCB layout, the first try didn't actually work. Unfortunately right now I don't have time to work on it. Maybe during the winter.
A working PCB is what will boost this project, I'm sure.

Andreas
Doing the proper BOM (no a generic list of components, but specific Farnell/RS/whatever codes) and matching PCB requires quite a lot of time... any contribution in wellcome. I've always thought transponder PBC would be more usefull for smaller components, still people seems to be struggling more on building the decoder...
Old 08-06-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for your reply.

​​​​​​Picture shows old version as decided to make it with smt. And on that one the crystal is directly by its pins.
also finished the transponder.
The thing that is bugging me is the loop amp, especialy limitation to 12 feet, as i would realy like to have it working up to 5 meter.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello all,
I 'm in the process to pick up the work were I stopped about a year ago, to make a working decoder. So I wanted to update to firmware 0.7 (I'm on 0.5 right now). I updated the PSOC Programmer to 3.28.24 and I also updated the KitProg Version 2.21, as recommended by the PSOC Programmer software.
However, the hex file is not accepted, the message being : "Hex File parsing failure. Unknown record type". Same with V0.6 and V0.5 hex files. Has anybody else had this kind of issue?

Edit: Alright, I know what I did wrong. I didn't download the whole repository but only the hex files, by right click, "save as..". Don't do that, it is not saved in a proper way and won't work.

Andreas

Last edited by andreas78; 08-18-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: additional inof
Old 08-19-2019, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andreas78 View Post
I didn't download the whole repository but only the hex files, by right click, "save as..". Don't do that, it is not saved in a proper way and won't work.
Andreas
That's the only reason I could think of. Glad you found out. Let us know how your build works.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Slowly finishing the 2 layer transponder board with smd components and backside pads for programming.
19x19mm board, 24t, slightly less inductance as original design and different CAP values for the loop.
Now just hoping it will work as planed and calculated

Same goes for the decoder prototype.
All components on one side, CY8Ckit on the other side with big ground plate.
On the CY8Ckit side the only traces are the ones that are needed for beeper and led.
frewster likes this.

Last edited by toplakd; 08-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm Finaly happy with design and routing, and I think I'm ready to order some test board and enclosure if it will work.
scoobyrs25, frewster and Llo836 like this.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:59 AM
Tech Adept

Nice job! I just wonder if USB and RF connectors on the same side are good in the final box layout. Also from experience PSOC usb port is not very strong...
toplakd likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.