Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Like Tree100Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 AM
  #106  
Super Moderator
 
roadrashracing2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 67,190
Default

I think all it takes is someone to come out with something new and better. With today's technology the whole scoring system is a dinosaur. A scoring system could be wireless with different sensor pickups though out the course for more real time scoring. I mean why are they still powered by receiver power. You could a "house type" transponder that was usb charged and could send so much info to your smart phone. I know they have live scoring online but think of getting back to your pit and your times get uploaded right to your phone. Back to different sensor locations your times could get broken down even more to different segments so you know exatly where you are gaining and losing time.
roadrashracing2 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM
  #107  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 6,218
Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I think all it takes is someone to come out with something new and better. With today's technology the whole scoring system is a dinosaur. A scoring system could be wireless with different sensor pickups though out the course for more real time scoring. I mean why are they still powered by receiver power. You could a "house type" transponder that was usb charged and could send so much info to your smart phone. I know they have live scoring online but think of getting back to your pit and your times get uploaded right to your phone. Back to different sensor locations your times could get broken down even more to different segments so you know exatly where you are gaining and losing time.
The biggest problem with this (although I absolutely love your idea) is that you need a different decoder at every data collection point and that's insanely cost prohibitive. The club in my area once added a "Joker Lane" temporarily and this was only possible because the 1/10 track building was destroyed from heavy winds and it took 6+ months for the new structure to be constructed so they had a spare decoder to play with.

The Joker Lane would short cut about 10 seconds of track, and they allowed you to use 2 joker laps per race... it was a lot of fun to add an element of strategy... if you waited to use your joker laps too late in the race, you could inadvertently be forced to put yourself into lap traffic or worse, crash while merging with other traffic on the joker pass.

Then there were some folks who hated the Joker concept because they couldn't keep count of how many they used and additional joker laps didn't count... oops!
billdelong is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 08:53 AM
  #108  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex
You've just stereotyped a whole race in a derogatory fashion. They have the largest population in the world. Of course they're likely to top the charts in many categories in terms of sheer numbers. That doesn't mean every product from China wilfully violates IP laws.
Where did I say that every product from China violates IP laws?

FYI...China is a country, not a race. Try again

China, again a country, is known worldwide for breaking IP laws. They simply don't care and for most companies it's not worth trying to fight them in court.
DRTMI likes this.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:08 AM
  #109  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jasburrito
Get a grip. Us population vs the world is only 4%. Only 13% of world population is white. There’s a big chance something you wanna buy is gonna be by another country and race from your own.Rip MYLAPS. They will be gone like other greats.
What's your point? Do your stats make my comments about China any less true?

I don't care what people buy, or where they buy it from. I'm sure I buy all kinds of stuff from China. I honestly don't even bother to check really. My entire point form the start, which you either missed or chose to ignore, was the fact that people, some people, complain about and/or boycott Chinese products as much as they can because of their history breaking IP laws making copied/cloned products... Yet have no problem purchasing and defending MRT for doing the exact same thing. Again, buy MRT products, I don't care. BUT don't complain when MyLaps makes changes that render them useless.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:31 AM
  #110  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billdelong
First off, your racist comment is unbecoming... you should also do your homework better, MRT is based out of the UK:

Team MRT



Whether I choose to support Chinese manufacturers is really irrelevant, but since you asked, let's take a brief run down of where MY money goes (i.e. not YOUR money):

Majority of kits I race: Tekno = USA Distributor / Taiwan Mfr
Tires: 6MIK, ProLine, Schumacher = USA Distributors, + France and England Mfr's
Batteries: SMC, ProMatch = USA Distributors, pretty sure all batteries come from China regardless
Majority ESC's: HobbyWing = USA Distributor / China Mfr
Motors: Trinity,SMC,HobbyWing = USA Distributors
Radio: Graupner = USA Distributor / Korea Mfr
Servos: Savox, PowerHD, JX = USA Distributors / China

It's safe to say that my budget is fairly balanced with the bulk of my expenses (batteries/tires) going toward USA Distributors... does that satisfy your racist requirements? As much as your hatred is apparent for China (kinda sad really) the fact remains that it's nearly impossible to buy 100% American made products if that is what you're forcing upon me.



Never once experienced a duplicate RFID at any of the dozens of clubs I've raced over the years, however IF I ever come across a rare case where these is a duplicate, there are 20 different RFID's that I can easily switch with the press of a button, and I think the largest class I've ever raced had something like 15 drivers on the stand so this concern you have is 100% irrelevant due to the forethought that MRT put into their design
Like I said, and you failed to realize, or ignored. Is the fact that I dislike China's disregard for IP laws when it comes to the production of some of their products. How you even remotely skew that into me having a "hatred" for the PEOPLE of China is beyond me.

That "forethought" you talk about, you realize the reason they did that is because EVERY RFID that MRT has comes from a copied/cloned MyLaps/AMB PT that was sent to them? MRT gives each PT ONE unique number and the other 19 are all the same in every other PT they produce. Why? Because the odds of you encountering one same RFID is slim to none, encountering 20 is near zero. Thus giving you the option to say "sorry buddy, I'll change the number on my CLONED PT to a different one.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 09:46 AM
  #111  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sacmiata
It is a different topic but those that are still out there are affected.
If your local track doesn't have house transponders then are new people at these tracks shelling out $100 bucks to start racing? I don't think I would of gotten back in without getting a chance to test the waters.

I don't think tracks rely on house transponders either - but new people getting into the hobby do. Maybe its a new product line that mylaps needs to offer along with the update. Novices at my local track will bring whatever they have to run and throw in a house transponder for the night. Eventually some get hooked and buy new cars, equipment and a transponder. Seems like a good business model is to have house transponders. But your right - these are a pain to service the battery and even the 5 or so left don't hold a charge more then an hour or two.

Talking to one our local dirt track operator they are aware of the update and are not going to do it based that there is no benefit to them and on what it would do to the racers. The tracks bread and butter is based on racer turnout - not on selling transponders.
1) Most tracks won't do the update, one because as of now there's no reason for them to. And two it would "brick" any of the older AMBrc and MRT PT's that people are using. Tracks aren't going to update unless they're forced to.

2) Tracks have had to "work around" some type of House or rental PT program for a long time. My small local track owner was able to become a MyLaps dealer. Some of us had our own PT's many others didn't. He offered them for sale at his cost, IIRC about $80 at the time, not much less than anywhere else really. Some continued to rent them @ $5 per race day. Most people bought them when it was explained that they tend to hold there value and could easily be sold for $60+ if they decided to stop racing. Basically, buy a PT for $80 and after 4 weeks you can sell it and break even. Almost no loss really. That still holds true today. Yes initially the cost of a PT seems high but when you factor in the resale value it's not.
billdelong likes this.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:06 AM
  #112  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

howardcona, what is stopping, or why can't, MRT or anyone else obtain or produce their own unique RFID numbers to compete with MyLaps?
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 AM
  #113  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Little FYI on dealing with China. Whatever country you're from, lets assume you want to start a production plant in China. Not contract them to make your product, actually start your own production there. No matter what equipment you buy or bring into the country, no matter the cost..Million dollar CNC's, Welding robots, custom made fixturing equipment engineered and fabricated in your country..all the way down to the simplest thing such as a pare of pliers. If you decide to stop production there, for whatever reason. You leave everything behind, yes EVERYTHING. You hand them the keys and walk away.

How do I know. I work for a manufacturing company that has almost a billion dollars in annual sales and we recently closed our China plant. No hate on China for it, it's just an FYI and it honestly means more work for our US plants.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:39 AM
  #114  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
jasburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The 70s
Posts: 674
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812
What's your point? Do your stats make my comments about China any less true?

I don't care what people buy, or where they buy it from. I'm sure I buy all kinds of stuff from China. I honestly don't even bother to check really. My entire point form the start, which you either missed or chose to ignore, was the fact that people, some people, complain about and/or boycott Chinese products as much as they can because of their history breaking IP laws making copied/cloned products... Yet have no problem purchasing and defending MRT for doing the exact same thing. Again, buy MRT products, I don't care. BUT don't complain when MyLaps makes changes that render them useless.
FYI whites invent most things. Asains are smart and make up 60% of world population. There gonna have to copy ideas. There are many species of humans that are all good at different things. Plus they prob think f the corrupt ip and USA. Shill much 3.50 .MYLAPS are looking like crooks. F them if we can.
jasburrito is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 AM
  #115  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billdelong
Here's the thing, the language is written ambiguously (probably on purpose) that it leaves a rather loose interpretation. In contrast, there are too many cases that have been argued in the past which would easily find in favor of MRT... starting with the IBM lawsuit against Compaq:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq

"Unlike many startups, Compaq differentiated its offerings from the many other IBM clones by not focusing mainly on price, but instead concentrating on new features"... Compaq was a US based company, i.e. not from China

The key here is "new features" and bear in mind that MRT offers new features such as reverse polarity protection, custom ID requests, and swap-able ID's.

There is no doubt in my mind that if MYLaps was ever foolish enough to build a case against MRT, then MYLaps would get laughed out of court. Now if MRT didn't offer any new features, then yeah, I'd be drinking the same Kool-Aid as everyone else.

The key difference is "improving upon the original design".
Polarity protection, maybe. But unless you yourself move the wires in the plug, you can't plug a PT in "backwards" and short it out anyway. The negative wire would simply be put in the signal slot, no issue.

Custom ID requests? You can get multiple PT's with the same RFID from MyLaps, have been forever.

"Swap-able" ID's? Whether MRT gives you 20 or 100 to choose from, they're ALL copied/cloned form MyLaps.

My scenario if MyLaps were to take MRT to court, and this is just a guess I don't know the legalities of it..

"MRT, do you have and use unique RFID's in your PT's?"

........"No sir, all of our RFID's are cloned from MyLaps PT's sent to us"

"Do you have the ability to obtain or produce your own unique RFID's?"

........."No sir, we have to copy/clone them all from MyLaps PT's."

BANG! Gavel slams down.."MRT stop cloning MyLaps PT's"

end of story
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 10:52 AM
  #116  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jasburrito
FYI whites invent most things. Asains are smart and make up 60% of world population. There gonna have to copy ideas. There are many species of humans that are all good at different things. Plus they prob think f the corrupt ip and USA. Shill much 3.50 .MYLAPS are looking like crooks. F them if we can.
I gotta quote this before you wake up and delete it
F the corrupt IP laws and the USA?
whites invent most things?
Mylaps are crooks?
shill much 3.50....huh?
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:07 AM
  #117  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
jasburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The 70s
Posts: 674
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Do research. Open your eyes. You tube. Everthing is a rich mans trick. Plus many other vids. We’re not in the club. Those quotes s taken out of context is like fake news. Glp. (Your a moderator remove them both) I decide to bite after you quoted me. Comedy it mostly dead. I get my laughs on the net now)
billdelong and Darkgenerals like this.
jasburrito is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:12 AM
  #118  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jasburrito
Do research. Open your eyes. You tube. Everthing is a rich mans trick. Plus many other vids. We’re not in the club. Those quotes s taken out of context is like fake news. Glp.
Do you want to have a legit conversation or just be a smart ass and ignore people when they ask questions?
billdelong likes this.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:17 AM
  #119  
Suspended
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 781
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812
Polarity protection, maybe. But unless you yourself move the wires in the plug, you can't plug a PT in "backwards" and short it out anyway. The negative wire would simply be put in the signal slot, no issue.

Custom ID requests? You can get multiple PT's with the same RFID from MyLaps, have been forever.

"Swap-able" ID's? Whether MRT gives you 20 or 100 to choose from, they're ALL copied/cloned form MyLaps.

My scenario if MyLaps were to take MRT to court, and this is just a guess I don't know the legalities of it..

"MRT, do you have and use unique RFID's in your PT's?"

........"No sir, all of our RFID's are cloned from MyLaps PT's sent to us"

"Do you have the ability to obtain or produce your own unique RFID's?"

........."No sir, we have to copy/clone them all from MyLaps PT's."

BANG! Gavel slams down.."MRT stop cloning MyLaps PT's"

end of story
How well do you know Antitrust laws? The FTC could rule that myLaps has established a monopoly, and shut them down. I don't know Antitrust laws enough to say, but I sure would be interested to see what the FTC has to say about it.

Also, do you know where myLaps is headquartered? Because it is not in America.
urnotevenwrg2 is offline  
Old 11-06-2017, 11:22 AM
  #120  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,499
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

try again...

Argue mine or anyone else's point all you want but bring some facts and not just ignorant opinion. Prove me wrong and I'll have no problem admitting to it..
billdelong likes this.
racer1812 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.