Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Like Tree97Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Old 11-03-2017, 08:29 AM
  #76  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,354
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I can? I'm not aware of a single track in my state (or even country) that runs anything other than MyLaps decoders. I either buy a MyLaps transponder, or my laps don't get counted. Period.
Tracks do exist that run other systems. If I choose to race at a track that uses an IR system can I whine and cry that my MyLaps PT won't work? Who can I blame?
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 AM
  #77  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,354
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

MyLaps is almost certain, they're going to basically, offer a trade in program directly through them and most likely through their dealers. My guess, they'll offer the trade in to you as long as your PT is RED I won't speculate on how much $$ that trade in will be but I was given a rough idea.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 AM
  #78  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 3,309
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Tracks do exist that run other systems. If I choose to race at a track that uses an IR system can I whine and cry that my MyLaps PT won't work? Who can I blame?
Unless the tracks you're thinking of are in my area, knowing that some exist somewhere on this planet doesn't help me follow the advice to only race at tracks that don't use MyLaps. I'm telling you I don't have that option. I can't vote with my wallet, unless you consider walking away from the hobby as an option.
billdelong likes this.
gigaplex is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:17 AM
  #79  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
jasburrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GR MI
Posts: 417
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals View Post
You have a choice, its called your wallet. If you dont want to use mylaps, you can choose to race at places that use other systems. You can choose to spend your money with hobby shops that support other timing devices. You are choosing to say you dislike the model that Mylaps spent time and money to develop. In the end you have every right not to race and spend your money at places that support the mylaps standerd.

On a side note: I had to look it up, but your correct. I think Microsoft had several anti-trust lawsuits over included programs. IE was one of the early ones it appears.


I hate to break it to you guys, but this is the real world. Nothing is fair, nothing is just. Mylaps is a business that wants to make money, and this is one of the ways to get people to adopt a newer standard.

Roelof's comment is also spot on, first to market is a real thing. Why do you think the Iphone blew up so fast. Apple made all the money because they killed it with that first phone. (No linky prob stinky)

Jasburrito - Thats a pretty wild statement, do you have anything to back that up?
Some of these drone racers are pretty smart and have a few of there own ideas. With working connections with some Chinese manufacturers already. Hopefully these new advanced decoders will be done sooner than later.
DRTMI likes this.
jasburrito is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:47 AM
  #80  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,354
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Unless the tracks you're thinking of are in my area, knowing that some exist somewhere on this planet doesn't help me follow the advice to only race at tracks that don't use MyLaps. I'm telling you I don't have that option. I can't vote with my wallet, unless you consider walking away from the hobby as an option.
Then you should have a MyLaps PT. I'll assume you have an MRT PT. MRT knew this was a possibility, when you bought their PT did they offer you a full refund if MyLaps ever made a change to their system that would render your MRT useless? I doubt it, be mad at them.

If you, or anyone else, has an AMBrc PT. You've either had it for years, or bought it used at a discount. Either way it's still worth about $60 on the open market because few if any current tracks are going to opt for the firmware update anyway. It's not like these PT's are instantly worthless, they're not.

What I find funny is that nobody who is upset is willing to touch any part of my previous post that says if you own an MRT PT, you bought an unlicensed KNOCK OFF and now it doesn't work. But you're probably the same people who bitch about Chinese knock offs hurting the US economy (or where ever you're from)
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 12:02 PM
  #81  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,354
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jasburrito View Post
Some of these drone racers are pretty smart and have a few of there own ideas. With working connections with some Chinese manufacturers already. Hopefully these new advanced decoders will be done sooner than later.
How will this affect anyone? These systems would have to be compatible with every AMBrc and MyLaps PT, and yes MRT otherwise tracks won't buy it. In the end just another Chinese knock off and not a stand alone competing product.

Airplane and Land R/C people don't cross mingle much, the Drone crowd even less. In general we don't really care what the other does.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 12:57 PM
  #82  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 4,939
Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
...What I find funny is that nobody who is upset is willing to touch any part of my previous post that says if you own an MRT PT, you bought an unlicensed KNOCK OFF and now it doesn't work...

I addressed this concern on the very first page of this thread:
R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

What MRT does is moot, they don't need to license anything, what's really nice is that MRT offers the ability to use the same RFID across multiple PT's so racers (like myself) only need to remember a single RFID when visiting different clubs, this is a huge convenience that MYLaps has grossly overlooked.

Another flaw is relying on the RFID as a single source identifier is that when folks sell their PT's ( for any reason), their track history should be mapped to the individual not their RFID, so any subscription based model will need to take this into account.

I look forward to the day that MYLaps gets squashed out of the market just like Blackberry did. Right now MYLaps have left themselves vulnerable by pissing off many track owners who rely on House PT's... all it takes is a comparable RFID system to be introduced at the right price and then MyLaps will be about as popular as Novak.
DRTMI likes this.
billdelong is online now  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 PM
  #83  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 4,939
Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default

One more thought... the way MRT does their free trade up is that you send in your old PT + cost for 1 unit, then you get 2 new PT's back. This in turn saturates the market with MRT's because most racers will end up selling their trade-up PT's to break even and have no out of pocket expense. The more often MyLaps upgrades their RFID sequencing, it only promotes that many more MRT's into the market during the respective upgrade cycle.

If MYLaps was smart, they would leave well enough alone and rely on advertising to grow their customer base... MRT market share will grow exponentially with each new MyLaps release who is actually doing MRT a huge favor!
billdelong is online now  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:30 PM
  #84  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (66)
 
Darkgenerals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Granbury Tx
Posts: 1,545
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
pretty sure it was Blackberry that was the first smart phone to market, and where are they today?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry
Well I was mainly talking about the touch screen and packaging, but semantics I guess.

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I can? I'm not aware of a single track in my state (or even country) that runs anything other than MyLaps decoders. I either buy a MyLaps transponder, or my laps don't get counted. Period.

Edit: Side note. Our sanctioning body specifically calls out AMB-compatible transponder systems. If a hosting club for an event doesn't use AMB-compatible decoders, the club is responsible for providing transponders to all competitors for every heat and final. While I can't directly blame that on MyLaps, it's another barrier to entry for competing transponder systems.
Yea, its called you don't race and spend money at establishments that support Mylaps. Dont play the victim card and act like your being forced to do anything, no one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to frequent these establishments.

So on your edit: Umm, thats their right as a club to do that? You also don't have to be apart of this club.

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Tracks do exist that run other systems. If I choose to race at a track that uses an IR system can I whine and cry that my MyLaps PT won't work? Who can I blame?
You should probably blame your senator or congress from not protecting you from the monopoly they allowed to form. I mean how can they let an incredibly small niche market be over run with these companies who spend alot in R/D and want to recoup it.

What I find funny is that nobody who is upset is willing to touch any part of my previous post that says if you own an MRT PT, you bought an unlicensed KNOCK OFF and now it doesn't work...
Don't be bringing your logic up in here. How dare you!
Darkgenerals is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 03:16 PM
  #85  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,354
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
I addressed this concern on the very first page of this thread:
R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

What MRT does is moot, they don't need to license anything, what's really nice is that MRT offers the ability to use the same RFID across multiple PT's so racers (like myself) only need to remember a single RFID when visiting different clubs, this is a huge convenience that MYLaps has grossly overlooked.

Another flaw is relying on the RFID as a single source identifier is that when folks sell their PT's ( for any reason), their track history should be mapped to the individual not their RFID, so any subscription based model will need to take this into account.

I look forward to the day that MYLaps gets squashed out of the market just like Blackberry did. Right now MYLaps have left themselves vulnerable by pissing off many track owners who rely on House PT's... all it takes is a comparable RFID system to be introduced at the right price and then MyLaps will be about as popular as Novak.
You really are a fan of Chinese Knock offs aren't you, that's not even a question.

Single RFID, who really cares. Car crosses the line, system picks it up as unidentified, you cross again. End of story unless you change PT's in that class, at that track. Until then, the PT is in the system. I've got 4 PT's all with different numbers, NEVER had it be an issue..if it is write em' down! MyLaps will clone PT numbers by the way.

MyLaps being squashed? HOUSE PT's? are you serious? You can't be serious.

Anybody know the last production date of AMB house transponders? Other than on a hope and prayer that either you or someone else is willing to change the batteries in those things they're a dinosaur. I think one of my local tracks has 3 and only 2 still work consistently. Tracks that still rely on those heavily are barely a blip on the radar, and honestly are even a topic of discussion really. I don't see MRT offering a house PT to track owners, why not??

The opportunity for another company to make a comparable SYSTEM has been there for DECADES and nobody has done it, end of story. The only thing anyone (MRT) has done is continually COPY the most profitable part of that system, the PT. Why because they know that to create a similar yet uniquely their own system wouldn't be profitable.

Why hasn't MRT, or anyone else, developed a complete system that works with both their own PT as well as all of MyLaps PT's and offer both the decoder and PT's for half the cost of a MyLaps system, why?

Last edited by racer1812; 11-03-2017 at 03:32 PM.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 03:42 PM
  #86  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,782
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Why hasn't MRT, or anyone else, developed a complete system that works with both their own PT as well as all of MyLaps PT's and offer both the decoder and PT's for half the cost of a MyLaps system, why?
Transponders have been manufactured by other companies because they are simple, profitable, and contain nothing that is protected by patent or copyright law (therefore not requiring licensing).

Decoders are far more complicated, less profitable, and in the case of AMB/MyLaps, protected by at least one patent. While it is possible to create a decoder that does not infringe on any patents, that won't prevent MyLaps from filing a lawsuit against any company offering a similar decoder for sale. The lawsuit can be without merit, but defending against it still costs quite a bit of money. That's a big reason why there are no commercially-produced, competitive decoders.

Right or wrong, it comes down to money.
billdelong and gigaplex like this.
howardcano is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM
  #87  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 3,309
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Then you should have a MyLaps PT. I'll assume you have an MRT PT. MRT knew this was a possibility, when you bought their PT did they offer you a full refund if MyLaps ever made a change to their system that would render your MRT useless? I doubt it, be mad at them.

If you, or anyone else, has an AMBrc PT. You've either had it for years, or bought it used at a discount. Either way it's still worth about $60 on the open market because few if any current tracks are going to opt for the firmware update anyway. It's not like these PT's are instantly worthless, they're not.

What I find funny is that nobody who is upset is willing to touch any part of my previous post that says if you own an MRT PT, you bought an unlicensed KNOCK OFF and now it doesn't work. But you're probably the same people who bitch about Chinese knock offs hurting the US economy (or where ever you're from)
I've got two MyLaps RC4 transponders. So for now I can keep racing. The assertion that I can't be unhappy about the situation because it doesn't affect me personally is irresponsible. There are people I race against that do have MRT. I don't want to see my friends have to deal with this crap. Most of them bought them because at the time they were advertised as compatible, and being new to the hobby they didn't know the history and risks. The numbers are shrinking enough as it is at the tracks. We don't need to add transponder problems into the mix.

To paraphrase - "First they came for them and I kept silent, because it didn't affect me. Then they came for me and nobody was left to speak for me."
gigaplex is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 06:33 PM
  #88  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,354
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
Transponders have been manufactured by other companies because they are simple, profitable, and contain nothing that is protected by patent or copyright law (therefore not requiring licensing).

Decoders are far more complicated, less profitable, and in the case of AMB/MyLaps, protected by at least one patent. While it is possible to create a decoder that does not infringe on any patents, that won't prevent MyLaps from filing a lawsuit against any company offering a similar decoder for sale. The lawsuit can be without merit, but defending against it still costs quite a bit of money. That's a big reason why there are no commercially-produced, competitive decoders.

Right or wrong, it comes down to money.
You yourself lay it all out right there in those 2 sentences. What smart business wouldn't try to stop other companies from profiting from their investment? There isn't a successful business owner on the plant that would say "Not me."
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-03-2017, 06:48 PM
  #89  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,354
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
I've got two MyLaps RC4 transponders. So for now I can keep racing. The assertion that I can't be unhappy about the situation because it doesn't affect me personally is irresponsible. There are people I race against that do have MRT. I don't want to see my friends have to deal with this crap. Most of them bought them because at the time they were advertised as compatible, and being new to the hobby they didn't know the history and risks. The numbers are shrinking enough as it is at the tracks. We don't need to add transponder problems into the mix.

To paraphrase - "First they came for them and I kept silent, because it didn't affect me. Then they came for me and nobody was left to speak for me."
This is the second trip down this road with MyLaps and MRT. Yes there are some people who unknowingly put themselves in this situation and own MRT's. Yes it sucks for them. But once again, blame MRT.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 11-04-2017, 01:40 AM
  #90  
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,200
Default

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post
What MRT does is moot, they don't need to license anything, what's really nice is that MRT offers the ability to use the same RFID across multiple PT's so racers (like myself) only need to remember a single RFID when visiting different clubs, this is a huge convenience that MYLaps has grossly overlooked.
Here you are wrong.......

Like with MAC adresses of network cards it is determed in what range each company can create their MAC adresses, the same with RFID and all othe unique hard coded identify numbers and may only use it once.
And yes, some Asian companies do not care if they use a number several times and sadly that caused many frustrated IT service engineers searching and finding double MAC adresses in their network.

MRT does not get a range of numbers to use so far I know so are their numbers really unique?
Roelof is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.