Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders! >

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Like Tree92Likes

MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!

Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
@ Racer1812

You closed the other thread which received posts and support by MRT to replace it with this one.

Now we have a thread where everyone is arguing to the legalities of MRTs transponders versus support or solutions.

Since you are a moderator, I ask you to get this thread on the subject or support for MRT transponders

Thank you!
1) I closed the last thread because the subject matter was old and honestly dead; concerning Mylaps and MRT. In THAT thread.

2) Like what is being discussed or not, this is the thread to use for the most current issue on the compatibility between MyLaps and MRT regarding the current OPTIONAL MyLaps decoder box firmware update.

3) I don't need to get this or any other thread in support of anything, especially MRT.

4) If you want specific support on this forum, in this thread from MRT. Contact this guy. He's certainly free to give any updates or provide any info on what MRT is doing in order to be able to continue copying/cloning MyLaps PT's.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:09 PM
a1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

looking to get a transponder , is it safe to get a new one or not? I have no clue what all this means in this thread,lol. I did ask at my local track about the mylaps system being updated and they claimed to have no clue about any of this.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 231 (100%+)

Originally Posted by a1 View Post
looking to get a transponder , is it safe to get a new one or not? I have no clue what all this means in this thread,lol. I did ask at my local track about the mylaps system being updated and they claimed to have no clue about any of this.
Long as they don't upgrade to the newer version (for drone racing) , no need to worry. All the popular ones will still work.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by a1 View Post
If you buy a brand new MyLaps you are set, no matter, then you don't have to worry like you do if you buy a non-MyLaps one.
Darkgenerals and a1 like this.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so whats the process to trade in my old AMB for a new one, how much of a discount do I get?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
so whats the process to trade in my old AMB for a new one, how much of a discount do I get?
$25 credit... explained 1 page back: R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MyLaps update killing MRT, AMBrc DP and house transponders!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I believe the system for the Kyosho dNano is just based on rfid. But rfid is I believe too slow.
We have used RFID UHF Tags for MX Racing, track was 5m wide, without
problem....

The only things that is bad, the anti-collision system from RFID is to wait
a random time, and resend data, so when two or more tag are read at the same time , you cannot seen with was first ans second
Old 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mroc View Post
We have used RFID UHF Tags for MX Racing, track was 5m wide, without
problem....

The only things that is bad, the anti-collision system from RFID is to wait
a random time, and resend data, so when two or more tag are read at the same time , you cannot seen with was first ans second
I think its just a matter of time before some one comes out with tech that solves this issue. Amazon has been pushing physical store fronts hard in the past few years with no cashiers. I've seen it mentioned they are working on RFID systems to accomplish this goal.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals View Post
I think its just a matter of time before some one comes out with tech that solves this issue. Amazon has been pushing physical store fronts hard in the past few years with no cashiers. I've seen it mentioned they are working on RFID systems to accomplish this goal.
Cashier systems don't need split second accuracy.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Cashier systems don't need split second accuracy.
Thats true, but you really think if some firm does the research and hard work to improve the technology they wont try to sell it to other markets?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Darkgenerals View Post
Thats true, but you really think if some firm does the research and hard work to improve the technology they wont try to sell it to other markets?
They could try, but the physics behind RFID will make it hard to get split second accuracy and since that's not a key requirement for them, they're not likely to put effort into the engineering.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

your right, I know amazon was doing it in some of their beta stores with camera system help track products and people.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

AMB invented this tech in the 80s. So that patent is expired. That is how mrt was making transponders. MYLAPS has a 2012 patent which is good for 20 years and I would bet there is something in the rc4 transponder that is patented that keeps mrt from making full rc4 compatible transponders. Now the switch has been flipped to disable rc3 and rc2 compatibility in rc4+ decoders.

Someone will have to make a decoder that copies the rc2/3 and it won’t work with non hybrid rc4 transponders. Who is going to pay for that? Better to figure how to hack the rc4 decoder and fix the firmware.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
Someone will have to make a decoder that copies the rc2/3 and it won’t work with non hybrid rc4 transponders. Who is going to pay for that?
Someone already has, and you can build one yourself:
https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-e...o-revised.html
Old 06-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default a question from a total noob.

So I am a rc nerd who has been in the hobby for a long time 15 years or more. I fly helis, planes, and do a bit of sct, and touring car driving also. However I have not had a local track until recently so I have not raced. I do however work for a company that deals with electromechanical CAD software and although I do IT work know a lot of engineering people. My question is this: I read the comments about using RFID as a different solution and the reasoning behind why it would not work well. Why not use a RF bluetooth system? Even if the system loses connection with a Bluetooth receiver, it can be stored locally until next lap, and the Bluetooth receivers can be both fairly inexpensive and very lightweight. I just looked and saw that immersion is making a timing system using bluetooth so if someone could tell me why that is not preferred I would appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service