R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 10-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default LRP solder station using QK202D/QK303 solder tips

Has anyone tried using QK202D/QK303 solder tips on their LRP Solder station? The QK stations looks similar (QK202D), I wonder if they are the oem for LRP and possibly the tips can be use too. They have lots of solder tips in varying shapes and sizes.

SMTmax - Your #1 Source For SMT Equipment

QK202D ESD Lead Free Soldering Station, SMTmax
Old 10-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The LRP branded soldering iron has been great. While I don't use an iron as much as the 'old'/pre-brushless days, I am not a fan of the bevel style tip. Had much better control with chisel tips, like the one that came with the Ungar UTC-300 model.

In any event, went ahead and ordered 303-3.2D and 303-4.2D chisel tips. Shipping was higher than I would have preferred (almost $10) and the Paypal hyperlink generated some "Fatal error: Class 'httpClient' not found in...". Was able to get through the self-serve checkout process otherwise.

Will try to remember to come back here and post a follow-up.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The tips arrived about 3-4 business days after I placed my order. Well packaged.

Though the tip tube and pin connector seem exactly the same between the two, the smaller chisel tip would not slide all the way down to seat, thus not connecting/working. The larger tip seated and works just fine.

I didn't try 'forcing the issue' with the smaller tip, nor have I had an opportunity to see if there might be something inside that tip's tube, that slides over the base, obstructing the tip from fully engaging. I did remove the base from the plastic handle housing, just to ensure the banana plug was aligning, the smaller tip wouldn't even slide on to that point to matter.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote