Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Track Maintenance : Black Dirt >

Track Maintenance : Black Dirt

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EbbTide

Track Maintenance : Black Dirt

Reply

Old 08-25-2017, 11:15 AM
  #1  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (260)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 32,026
Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)
Default Track Maintenance : Black Dirt

Hey everyone. Did some searching but didn't really find what i was looking for, so I appologize beforehand if this is already in another thread.

We have a Black Dirt track here that has a tendency to breakup when its dry due to what I beleive is its lower clay content. In general we will water the track for traction purposes, but we seem to run into getting "marbles" of dirt as the line gets swept by the vehicles and then as it dries the surface will start to break up.

Short of getting more clay into the mix, are there other items that are not that abrasive to the vehicles that we could look at? I have heard some things like glue, soda water, and even a mixture of water and salt.
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (39)
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 4,255
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Hey everyone. Did some searching but didn't really find what i was looking for, so I appologize beforehand if this is already in another thread.

We have a Black Dirt track here that has a tendency to breakup when its dry due to what I beleive is its lower clay content. In general we will water the track for traction purposes, but we seem to run into getting "marbles" of dirt as the line gets swept by the vehicles and then as it dries the surface will start to break up.

Short of getting more clay into the mix, are there other items that are not that abrasive to the vehicles that we could look at? I have heard some things like glue, soda water, and even a mixture of water and salt.
Soda is what our local track used to use when they had an outdoor 1/10 track. I believe they used root beer specifically
Cain likes this.
EbbTide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:27 AM
  #3  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (260)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 32,026
Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EbbTide View Post
Soda is what our local track used to use when they had an outdoor 1/10 track. I believe they used root beer specifically
how long did an application last?
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (39)
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 4,255
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
how long did an application last?
I'll have to ask the track owner next time I get to the track, I was never there when they applied it lol I just know that's one thing they used. If I get more info I'll post it here
EbbTide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 AM
  #5  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (260)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 32,026
Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)
Default

Thanks! Do you know what tires they went to after application? example, say a big pin tire is good when its not sugared, what became good after.
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:46 AM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (39)
 
EbbTide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Posts: 4,255
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Thanks! Do you know what tires they went to after application? example, say a big pin tire is good when its not sugared, what became good after.
Some guys were actually running supersoft slicks at times. Otherwise it seemed any sort of low tread depth tire was preferred if it got a bit dusty. Like chainlinks or rebars.

I'll add that they got this track SMOOTH, like I genuinely miss driving on it.

Last edited by EbbTide; 08-25-2017 at 11:59 AM.
EbbTide is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:35 PM
  #7  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (260)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 32,026
Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)
Default

Cool. At least in that sense it would be easier to find tires.
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:43 PM
  #8  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MN
Posts: 437
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

not sure if it helps but the last MNRC race was at FTR and the owner sean used black dirt, I did see them laying calcium down which is suppose to hold in moisture, this is also a 1/8 scale track, but also had 1/10 2wd buggies.
TrespasseR_MN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:12 PM
  #9  
Tech Legend
Thread Starter
iTrader: (260)
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: West Fargo, North Dakota
Posts: 32,026
Trader Rating: 260 (100%+)
Default

thanks! Yeah that has been used at pingree with success, only concern is how it can damage the vehicles but it is an option. I figure to grab any info I can and pass that along to the club.
Cain is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service