Looking for ideas for a fun low cost race class >

Looking for ideas for a fun low cost race class

Like Tree29Likes

Looking for ideas for a fun low cost race class

Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Our tracks are usually city council owned, and we run the clubs as non-profit volunteer groups. The councils offer grants that help cover major construction, and the membership fees covers ongoing costs. I don't know if that sort of thing is feasible where you are.
I read of a few of those in other states few years back. Rural ares well away from city or suburbs. Around here tracks are privately owned. Just not enuff demand for any suburb to do it. Plus with winter in Midwest, an outdoor track could go used for 6-8 months.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
So based on your comments, what do you consider fun ? Only if you can go out and race your $ 79 motor and well worn tires..... and finish at the top ? In any kind of amateur sports, there will always be a variance in incomes. If fun is just being able to go out and run (practice or racing) with older equipment, hang out with friends and family and enjoy the time, who cares how much you spend or where you finish in the race, right ? The problem is when the idea of "fun" is tied into having to be a class that is cheap AND everyone can win. That is not reality. You can spec the heck out of everything but what is next ? It is unfair the person who is winning can afford to practice twice a week but the person who only wants to run once a month (due to time available, costs or whatever) feels they are being "out spent" and it is unfair they don't win ?

The best way to form a "cheap fun class" is to get some friends together, create your own class with your own rules, make sure you have enough to make your own class at your local track and support your local track by continuing to race every week or every other week depending on their schedule. But when someone outside your group wants to join, what do you do ? Sorry, you cannot race in our class because you are to fast ?

Panda
For a lot of people, they care because a) they can't even do that as it's out of their price range, or b) newcomers can't afford it so the class dies out. Debating whether you need to win to have fun misses the point that it's already hard enough to get people to the track.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
For a lot of people, they care because a) they can't even do that as it's out of their price range, or b) newcomers can't afford it so the class dies out. Debating whether you need to win to have fun misses the point that it's already hard enough to get people to the track.
Getting people to the track is more than making it "fun and cheap". You have people spending $ 500 + on a pair of Nike shoes or $ 300 + for a leather trimmed Raiders hat. RC racing is a unique sport / hobby / form of entertainment. Getting the equipment is just the beginning. But a person has to be willing to spend the time, money and effort to work on tuning the chassis and improving their driver skill. Some people are just happier to go buy a Slash and just do bashing in their street or back yard until the thing breaks. Why not think of ways to get more attention to the local track like work with the local city or Chamber of Commerce to put on a special event to get them to help promote and get people who would otherwise never hear of RC racing to come check it out. Set-up an event with some local schools where you do something like have teams with an experienced racer paired with a student (who has not raced before) from the various Clubs or Sport teams from the school to compete and draw in a larger crowd to watch. Maybe do a charity event with a local charity or church to promote to bring in that crowd that normally never show up at a track. Maybe talk to the local shopping mall to set-up a demonstration event or even local car clubs (gear heads are a captive audience). Promoting outside the box to get people who are not familiar with the sport to come watch will attract more people than waiting for them to come to the track to find out what is going on. But just as important, you need those veteran racers to want to be at events like this and be helpful to talk to people, answer questions, take the time to explain to them the sport. And be honest. If a person gets scared off by a price tag of $ 500 or more to get started, they will have more respect to the track and racers if you tell them up front rather than say "oh sure, you can get in for $ 200-300 and be competitive and win races". Some people will want to try, others will decide that $ 500 pair of Nike shoes is a better investment.

Panda
Old 08-24-2017, 05:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
Getting people to the track is more than making it "fun and cheap". You have people spending $ 500 + on a pair of Nike shoes or $ 300 + for a leather trimmed Raiders hat. RC racing is a unique sport / hobby / form of entertainment. Getting the equipment is just the beginning. But a person has to be willing to spend the time, money and effort to work on tuning the chassis and improving their driver skill. Some people are just happier to go buy a Slash and just do bashing in their street or back yard until the thing breaks. Why not think of ways to get more attention to the local track like work with the local city or Chamber of Commerce to put on a special event to get them to help promote and get people who would otherwise never hear of RC racing to come check it out. Set-up an event with some local schools where you do something like have teams with an experienced racer paired with a student (who has not raced before) from the various Clubs or Sport teams from the school to compete and draw in a larger crowd to watch. Maybe do a charity event with a local charity or church to promote to bring in that crowd that normally never show up at a track. Maybe talk to the local shopping mall to set-up a demonstration event or even local car clubs (gear heads are a captive audience). Promoting outside the box to get people who are not familiar with the sport to come watch will attract more people than waiting for them to come to the track to find out what is going on. But just as important, you need those veteran racers to want to be at events like this and be helpful to talk to people, answer questions, take the time to explain to them the sport. And be honest. If a person gets scared off by a price tag of $ 500 or more to get started, they will have more respect to the track and racers if you tell them up front rather than say "oh sure, you can get in for $ 200-300 and be competitive and win races". Some people will want to try, others will decide that $ 500 pair of Nike shoes is a better investment.

Panda
I like your ideas. And most I suggested to a local track when its member were looking for new people here. Got crickets for a response. Even when they have a basher website host an event at their track. They have posted in past that they will be sure to keep that group away from the regular racers.

Yes racing costs. And more then the obvious things. Race fees, fuel to drive to track. Most don't have a " local" track. Then there's the time factor. Not everyone has 6-8 hours open to spend day racing.

I started because a group came to the store. Track didn't draw me in. As we close in on end of second year, only 2 of us have become regular racers. 2 others that started dropped out after 2-3 races.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shaner74
Just trying to brainstorm for ideas.
Do you think this is doable?
Would this grow the hobby?
Would you race a class like this?
Make it a payout class?

Any recommendations?
This is probably doable. Question is it durable? By durable, will it last more than a season or two before fading? Possibly it will grow the hobby if it has built in stability to last long enough to build a supporting base of racers. I would support the idea of a class like this, but not race it. Definitely not a payout class. With few exceptions I have seen, cash payouts always result in hard feelings and diminishing class entries.

Two things I have noticed in my years of hanging around this hobby: 1) Too many classes that limit the actual RUN TIME a racer gets on the track. That and it takes WAY too long to run off a program. 2) Very little consideration is given to spectator seating. Hand in hand with that is a race announcer that can hold the interest of a spectator. Most people that do show up as spectators have little to no idea of who is racing what and how they are doing.

So, as the OP initially asks, finding a sustainable class is important. But there are external factors that are equally important to growing this hobby. My recommendation is two classes. One buggy style; one stadium truck style. Rapid fire quickly run program. Six to eight hours max start to finish.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'll tell you what I am considering-

Expanding on the 25.5 spec legends idea for my kids, and make a single 'spare' and use it as a gratis loaner from time to time when people are interested.

The thing is, for a new person to enter even with a spec car like this it gets expensive fast:
Futaba 3pv (decent radio) $100
25.5 spec legends car fully kitted & transponder $300+
2 batteries + charger $100?

So you are at $500+ and that does not include spare parts or tools to maintain it.. Cheap and RC are words that are unassociable with each other!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

One thing too, to make it competitive, you can do like they used to in the German Touring car championship, each time you win, you get weight added to your chassis. This will help curb the pressure of needing to win every race

But I recall back in the early 1/10 electric buggy days we ran 2wd and 4wd cars, and the occasional FWD (Maxxum FF) all in one race, until it started to morph away from the 1.6 & 1.9 tires into serious race cars. Those were fun days, everyone had a Mabuchi 540, Mechanical Speed Control and a few ESC's, 7.2V NiCds etc.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I think if transponders where half the price it would help a lot, that is one of the biggest cost for one item. With todays technology you should be able to usb charge a transponder.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I think if transponders where half the price it would help a lot, that is one of the biggest cost for one item. With todays technology you should be able to usb charge a transponder.
But they are pretty damn durable. I mean they can take heat, fuel, cold, impacts. I don't think it's too badly priced as it sits. Though perhaps bringing the 2-wire down to the 3-wire price tag would be nice.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Here would be a good chassis to use. https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tec-2-chassis Box stock besides battery, radio, servo,( if you choose to swap out) any body.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
Here would be a good chassis to use. https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tec-2-chassis Box stock besides battery, radio, servo,( if you choose to swap out) any body.
It's a good vehicle in stock form. I've had a few of the guys I race with run laps with it Its gearned wrong for any current class. Only 2 spur gear options now. And limited number of motor positioning. It would really need to run against itself.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I could see older Tamiya buggies being a fun class for offroad or onroad.

They are fun looking to the newcomer, cheap, and almost no option parts that I can think of. For the veteran racers, it's nostalgic and probably something that most remember fondly but never spent a lot of time racing.

You could put more into it and would have a big challenge getting it to handle well on a modern offroad track. Probably the only reasonable modification could be tires, but you could even spec the stock tire if you really wanted. Just limit the whole chassis to only stock parts, with a few minor exceptions.

I'd buy in, I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a grasshopper or frog.

Anyone at TRCR interested?

Doesn't this look fun?

Last edited by taylorsizemore; 08-29-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: video
Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by taylorsizemore
I could see older Tamiya buggies being a fun class for offroad or onroad.

They are fun looking to the newcomer, cheap, and almost no option parts that I can think of. For the veteran racers, it's nostalgic and probably something that most remember fondly but never spent a lot of time racing.

You could put more into it and would have a big challenge getting it to handle well on a modern offroad track. Probably the only reasonable modification could be tires, but you could even spec the stock tire if you really wanted. Just limit the whole chassis to only stock parts, with a few minor exceptions.

I'd buy in, I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a grasshopper or frog.

Anyone at TRCR interested?

Doesn't this look fun?
I like the track layout. Someday maybe I'll get to run a dirt track. As for the retro stuff. It was before more. Doesn't have much appeal for me.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We run in a box stock slash 2wd class here locally. It's a blast!

Keeps costs down and since all the trucks are identical. The racing is pretty darn good too.

There is an off road & oval clay track near me. I didn't even know it until a couple months ago..

You still have the best drivers rising to the top, buts that's expected. That's what this hobby is all about. Trying to be the best driver on any given day on any given track.

Me and my son have been racing in that class for 6 weeks or more now and have only burned up a motor a piece. No other part failures. We water broke-in and oiled the new replacements so they should last longer than the ones that came with the new trucks. Those trucks are pretty tough other wise.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

interesting thread. Personally getting the initial cost down is a big factor combined with a vehicle that offers the speed and bang for the buck people want.

Personally, the LC Racing line up of brushless vehicles offers a lot of bang for the buck in that:

- They can be had in kit form with electronics, just add radio
- Most brushless versus are under $200
- Can be had with a clear body for customizing as you want
- they are very fast and have good electronics
- They have items on them that you would see in a race vehicle
- They perform right out of the box
- They are small, but not too small. So you can use them indoors in a place where you don't need as much room as 1/10, but still can be fun outdoors as well, especially the truggy.

As we have limited space this winter, we will be trying mini's indoors with these vehicles leading the way, in addition to the Losi Mini-8ight based vehicles.

crossing fingers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.