Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
RC Blog: theRACERunderground >

RC Blog: theRACERunderground

Like Tree5Likes

RC Blog: theRACERunderground

Reply

Old 07-23-2017, 08:17 AM
  #1  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default RC Blog: theRACERunderground

Hey fellas,

I maintain a small RC-related blog that I thought I'd share.

theRACERunderground

the blog is centered around a sportsman/privateer racer's point of view. Everything from local race reports, to car setups, to my personal opinions on certain topics are covered.

Have a read, and let me know what you think! Feedback/contributions is always appreciated!

Here's the link to the latest post:
theRACERunderground: Thoughts From a RACER - Have Fun Like a Novice

Thanks for reading!
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:14 AM
  #2  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 612
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for sharing - semi-off topic, BMX is awesome for the kids! I was a BMX dad for years, doing 3 or 4 races a week as well as several nationals a year. Good place for the kids if they aren't stick and ball sport oriented, and involves many great people.

Especially loved the small guys racing - careful though, it can get just as involved ( or more ) as RC Racing. Race frames, carbon forks, titanium spokes ...... been there.

Bruce
belewis01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 AM
  #3  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

Originally Posted by belewis01 View Post
Thanks for sharing - semi-off topic, BMX is awesome for the kids! I was a BMX dad for years, doing 3 or 4 races a week as well as several nationals a year. Good place for the kids if they aren't stick and ball sport oriented, and involves many great people.

Especially loved the small guys racing - careful though, it can get just as involved ( or more ) as RC Racing. Race frames, carbon forks, titanium spokes ...... been there.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce!

Yeah, it's going to be interesting for sure, if this is what he decides to do. He loves learning how to drive a RC car, but bike just might be his thing.

I will say this.... At no point in my RC career, was I as nervous and excited as I was watching him race for the first time. So crazy.
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:10 AM
  #4  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default New Post!

Hey kids, got a new post up!

This one deals with the current state of RC racing and the lack of "new blood" within the hobby. Have a read!

https://theracerunderground.blogspot...ity-check.html
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 AM
  #5  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
darksiede's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 127
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Good reads! I've recently come back into the fold as well, and have the same view point.. HAVE FUN! I drug my brother back into it and we've been teaching his oldest the ropes, he took 2nd last race and was on top of the world!
darksiede is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:38 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
Good reads! I've recently come back into the fold as well, and have the same view point.. HAVE FUN! I drug my brother back into it and we've been teaching his oldest the ropes, he took 2nd last race and was on top of the world!
Thanks for the words! Yeah, it's funny how serious we take this when we get into our element. I still try to be as fast as I can, but it just means more to me to enjoy myself. Nothing like a first podium though!
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM
  #7  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 645
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86 View Post
Thanks for the words! Yeah, it's funny how serious we take this when we get into our element. I still try to be as fast as I can, but it just means more to me to enjoy myself. Nothing like a first podium though!
I like your take on racing, very enjoyable piece of writing. I have the same feeling as you in terms of racing. I like to race regardless of where I end up and never really cared as long as I had fun. And really the biggest detriments to having fun is bad attitudes at the track.

Hope you and your son keep enjoying BMX biking as well.

cheers.
cementsurfer86 and urban like this.
tobyzhang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:47 PM
  #8  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

New post is live!
Finally finished my race report from my visit to 702 RC Raceway in Las Vegas, Nevada. If you guys have the chance, I highly recommend stopping in next time your in Sin City. Such a rad place!

https://theracerunderground.blogspot...-2-at.html?m=0
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:48 PM
  #9  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

Race report from the SeaTac RC Raceway season finale is live!


Pictures, my thoughts on the season, and the first ever RACERunderground "Lit Kit" award winner! Give it a read.


https://theracerunderground.blogspot...ort-91917.html
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 AM
  #10  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

New post is up!

For those in the Northwest, or those wanting to travel to our fine region, I've compiled a list of the main programs, and the schedules they follow. All info on NW RC racing in one easy place. We gotcha covered!

https://theracerunderground.blogspot...e-of-year.html
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:34 PM
  #11  
Tech Adept
 
intimdator10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW GA
Posts: 140
Default

This is awesome! I have your take on racing. I don't get to go as much as I would like to, so I am usually the back marker when I get to go. The BMX was piece brought back a ton of memories for me. My dad and I raced when I was a teenager. Man those were some good times! If I had a son, I would have hoped that he would have chose BMX. When we went to national races, we always found a hobby shop. If they had a track, I would always run my trusty gold pan RC10 until my parents made me leave. I am a softball dad and I would not trade anything for the time I get to spend with my daughter! If you ever want to talk BMX or need help with a bike, hit me up. I still follow the sport.
intimdator10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:54 AM
  #12  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

Originally Posted by intimdator10 View Post
This is awesome! I have your take on racing. I don't get to go as much as I would like to, so I am usually the back marker when I get to go. The BMX was piece brought back a ton of memories for me. My dad and I raced when I was a teenager. Man those were some good times! If I had a son, I would have hoped that he would have chose BMX. When we went to national races, we always found a hobby shop. If they had a track, I would always run my trusty gold pan RC10 until my parents made me leave. I am a softball dad and I would not trade anything for the time I get to spend with my daughter! If you ever want to talk BMX or need help with a bike, hit me up. I still follow the sport.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it! He loves riding bikes and doing the RC car thing, so I suppose I lucked out.. lol. It's just great to be able to share my passions with him, and he's taught me a lot about just having fun with these activities. it's pretty awesome!
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:36 AM
  #13  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

Hey Fellas, got a new blog post up! This one covers my love for the best part of RC: Club Racing! Have a read and tell me what you think! 👊🏼

https://theracerunderground.blogspot...bbing.html?m=0
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:49 PM
  #14  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

New blog post is up!
I love wrenching on my toy cars. You can’t be as OCD as I am and not enjoy it. This post is dedicated to the calming activity of working on RC cars, or really anything for that matter.

https://theracerunderground.blogspot...sions.html?m=0
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:58 PM
  #15  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 1,062
Default

New post is up and live!


We had a couple incidents at a recent club race that got me thinking about racer etiquette, but the more I wrote, the farther into the issue I went, ultimately ending at what I feel the root of the issue: Managing a hobby that by it's very nature is competitive. Have a read!


https://theracerunderground.blogspot...ive-hobby.html
tobyzhang and Latino277 like this.
cementsurfer86 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service