Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Jump/obstacles for carpet off-road? >

Jump/obstacles for carpet off-road?

Jump/obstacles for carpet off-road?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Jump/obstacles for carpet off-road?

Looking for ideas to take to the local track for different jumps and obstacles for the carpet off-road track. I helped construct a couple of small jumps. One is a kicker and one roller. They are both twisting after 3 weeks. I used a 2x4 on its edge for the peak of the roller and one 2x4 at an angle to provide take off/backside support. The kicker is shaped like a mini ramp. Anyway trying to come up with more ideas and designs that have proven to work better than what I tried to help construct!

Would like to see what other tracks are building jumps, rollers and whoops out of?
Attached Thumbnails Jump/obstacles for carpet off-road?-img_7357.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017, 05:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here's the Facebook page for my local track, there's videos of the off road track to give you some ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/windycityrc/
Old 07-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Old shipping pallets make great bases for jumps. That and don't try too hard to simulate the waves of "organic" jumps - those get trashed too fast. Short take-off ramp, longer downramp and everyone will be happy. You can find more pics of some jumps that proven very durable at my local track's page although you may have to scroll down a ways to get to them.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

^^agree, short straight take off, long landing works best. We have some that have a curved 'launch' take off, and they are not as popular because they launch too high and far.
Our table tops are built in 3 parts - take off, flat, and landing.
All of our jumps are probably over built. We use 2x4s for stringers and/or legs, ply for sides and tops. This makes for really heavy jumps, but they don't get destroyed when people walk on them.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

I used to race at a track which used some plastic which you would use on top of carpet for a roller chair. It was bendable under its own weight so it was a relatively smooth transition onto the jump. Stuff worked well
Old 07-20-2017, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buster8787 View Post
I used to race at a track which used some plastic which you would use on top of carpet for a roller chair. It was bendable under its own weight so it was a relatively smooth transition onto the jump. Stuff worked well
I agree, the transition is the key. You can have a pretty aggressive jump, meaning steep take off, as long as the transition is fairly smooth. Running a car into a 4x8 sheet of plywood set at a 45deg angle isn't good.