Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
What do you bring club racing??? >

What do you bring club racing???

Like Tree13Likes

What do you bring club racing???

Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What do you bring club racing???

So here's my question. On a weekly or monthly basis, however much you race, what do you bring club racing? I'm not talking a huge sponsored race but your local track races. My curiosity is how "prepared" do people go? Im just getting into club racing and sort of have the everything incliding the kitchen sink mentality. Whats your pit look like on a week in week out basis?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's a wide range from what I've seen with the group I race with. For me it's a spare battery for each vehicle. Basic tool kit. A spare spur/pinion gear or part. Couple of the guys have enuff to completely rebuild vehicles. Setup stations, scales, charger, one even had a tire warmer for his F1.
I'm only 5 races in. I use time between to just get as much practice as I can.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tools, charger, spares and anything else I think I might need. Oh, yeah, and the car too.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bring everything to every race big or small because it would be my luck if I didn't bring everything and that would b the time I needed the item I didn't bring always be prepared!!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

I don't bring other transmission options (stand up), worn out tires, soldering station. The rest comes to the track.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loaba View Post
Tools, charger, spares and anything else I think I might need. Oh, yeah, and the car too.
Don't forget the radio. Yes, I have done that.
k_bojar, ZEe_NYC and loaba like this.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What to bring

Originally Posted by GarrettM View Post
So here's my question. On a weekly or monthly basis, however much you race, what do you bring club racing? I'm not talking a huge sponsored race but your local track races. My curiosity is how "prepared" do people go? Im just getting into club racing and sort of have the everything incliding the kitchen sink mentality. Whats your pit look like on a week in week out basis?
Big or small, can I buy spare parts at facility? I usually bring spare Esc, motor, arms, shock towers, steering blocks, spring options, oils, alignment tools, batteries spare tire/wheels. If out of town I may pack spare buggy. I just assume if I can hit the wall and break something then bring it. Obviously you have to bring your basic tools and radio an charger. In the summer we take a fan with us.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

pit towel and lipo bag
Old 07-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

We race 4 cars typically so tons...

Tool box, pit towel, charger, batteries, spare motor-esc setups, spare parts for 2 short course trucks, spares for a different short course truck, 2wd buggy spares (arms, shock towers, shocks and such) ESC programmers, laptop for esc programming, separate laptop for liverc.com live laptimes etc.. charger for our Transmitters, tire options, 2 high speed fans to keep the cars cooled and us... a cooler full of water, pop and snacks.. 2 brothers that are the dads, and all 4 of our kids, which 1 drives nad 2 soon will be..

Yeah, we're a 3 ring goat rodeo circus of chaos energy and frustration.. that has ablast every trip lol
Old 07-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

if you are just starting out, bring everything you have, you will figure out as you go what you don't need. As far as tools, bring the tools to completely tear down the car. Also, bring a smile and an open mind.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by buster8787 View Post
if you are just starting out, bring everything you have, you will figure out as you go what you don't need. As far as tools, bring the tools to completely tear down the car. Also, bring a smile and an open mind.
That's what I'm doing now.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bring almost everything I have. The track I race at is about an hour away, one way; I've had to solder at the track, I've broken tons of parts (the kids help with this one), I've had an esc go up in smoke (but rare). It never fails that if I leave something behind to lighten the load I'll end up needing it: I left one of my onroad boxes home when I went offroad racing and realized once I got there that all my transponders were still in the touring cars. :doh:
Goof likes this.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Get a good Toolbox that holds a lot and is on wheels and bring the usual things, Tools, Gauges, chargers, shock oil, gear oil, pit lamp, pit towel, setup board, Etc...basically anything you used at home to get it built and racing.
Spares are the hard one, I carry Spares but I don't break things often and when I do it is usually the part I don't have a spare for.

For the first year you can come light and other racers should be able to help you out and lend you a tool or part, just don't show with car, radio and a battery and nothing else and expect help. That might be ok on your first night, or if your under 12 but second time you do it people will get very annoyed.
I basically had a small tool box my first year and a notepad and pen, anytime I borrowed something I made a note of what it was and added it to the tool box, by the end of the season I had a toolbox on wheels. The guys were great, I was helped out and borrowing a tool or part was ok, they made it very easy to figure out what I needed.

When your in your second season and still not packing things you need and trying to borrow tools and parts your going to get ignore and start annoying people.

Oh and on the Borrowing parts, make sure to make a note of the part you borrowed and get the racer a replacement ASAP or if your not going to see him again cough up the money for the part on the spot....I have give out parts to keep a racer in the game and no offer to buy the part was give and I never got a replacement. Needless to say I see him regularly and last time his truck broke mid race I was like to bad so sad.
It was a $3 bulkhead, it wasn't a big deal, I had 3 extras but how he handled it ie, no offer to pay me(I would have said no it's cool), minimal thanks, no next race 'oh here is a replacement' (again would have said, no you keep it as a spare).....not cool.

Oh and we had a situation where a driver actually said to a sponsored driver "your a sponsored guy, you have spares for my car, you have to give me one" Sponsored drivers will help you out, and almost all of them will give you a part if they have one....but they don't have to, they are their to promote their brand and the hobby, not as your local 'free' parts person.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

I bring everything all the time. Club race Trophy race no difference.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I tried to just bring my car and my charger once, and ended up bumming tools and everything else. So now I just bring it all. I wish I didn't have the feeling of needing everything though. If I could grab a backpack and my radio and go racing and not need another thing that would be fantastic
Goof likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service