Carpet Racing

Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Carpet Racing

Long story short, local track shut down forever two weeks ago and reopened yesterday as a carpet track. Was clay previously.

Ran carpet for the first time and with the proper rubber (Jconcepts Swaggers/ Proline Pinpoits) it was phenomenal. I lowered the car as far it would go and lengthened the rear camber link. Added some negative camber all around and the car performed very well.

I'm still light on the throttle so I'm getting away with 69/34 gearing.

Anyway - it was a blast and I don't miss the dirt!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:36 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Welcome to what is either the savior of many a track or the darkside of "not-really" OffRoad depending on your point of view...

But, we don't need another one of "those threads."

Unsolicited advice, having ran only artificial surface OffRoad for years now and using a sample size of three different carpet and three different turf tracks, Schumacher tires are still generally measurably faster than anything else on the market. Use these fronts with these or these rears on these inserts and thank me later. The only exception is that we now have a carpet track that is so extreme-grip, the PL rears (with Schu fronts still) can be good because they are bad. I can push the car harder on those with a wider margin for error before it traction rolls while the surfaces' natural grip level compensates for any other shortcomings of the tire. I take those same PL tires to a different track and they're a second a lap or more off the pace. YMMV.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Welcome to what is either the savior of many a track or the darkside of "not-really" OffRoad depending on your point of view...

But, we don't need another one of "those threads."

Unsolicited advice, having ran only artificial surface OffRoad for years now and using a sample size of three different carpet and three different turf tracks, Schumacher tires are still generally measurably faster than anything else on the market. Use these fronts with these or these rears on these inserts and thank me later. The only exception is that we now have a carpet track that is so extreme-grip, the PL rears (with Schu fronts still) can be good because they are bad. I can push the car harder on those with a wider margin for error before it traction rolls while the surfaces' natural grip level compensates for any other shortcomings of the tire. I take those same PL tires to a different track and they're a second a lap or more off the pace. YMMV.
You da'Man, man!

I will definitely take your suggestions on tire selection. Track is small and very fast right now, shedding/piling too. Grip out there wazoo as well.