Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Redistributing RB6.6 Weight >

Redistributing RB6.6 Weight

Redistributing RB6.6 Weight

Old 06-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Redistributing RB6.6 Weight

Currently my car is about 3-grams underweight. Going to a lightweight, thin, lipo has been the best mod I've made yet.

Anyway, I'd like the car to be "legal" and want to play around with the weight distribution at the same some time. To that end, I can order up a full set of titanium turnbuckles, suspension post mounts and front axles. I think this will shave another 3-4 grams off the car. After all of that nonsense, the car is 6-7 grams underweight. To make up that deficiency, Kyosho sells a 10-gram Aluminum Front Suspension block.

After all the adding and subtracting, I think the car will be about 3-4 grams overweight (which doesn't bother me) and there should be more weight over the front of the car. I'm thinking the end result will make it easier for a sub-par driver like myself to drive the car.

So am I full of crap? Will this serve only to lighten my pockets or will it actually help?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Weighted front end parts generally increase steering throughout the corner which is probably the opposite of what you want if you currently describe it as "squirrley." Also, an alum front bulkhead/block is probably only ten grams total, not an additional ten grams, i.e. it probably adds 5-6 grams over a plastic one which is not that significant - if you're racing dirt, that much weight in dirt probably sticks to the car itself during each run. For that matter, some tires can lose 5g in wear over their life.

Personally, I don't even add/subtract or move weight around in less than 1/2oz (14 gram) increments on any of my buggies and do much of the total loading/unloading of the cars' total weight using those 25g under-shorty plates and/or via a 44g steel front bulkhead for it to have a tangible effect on the track. YMMV
Old 06-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Very informative - thank you. The answer does seem to be that, if I just want to spend a hundred bucks, there it is. :-)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

In all honesty and assuming your sig is up to date, replacing your Novak 17.5 with something like a Schurrspeed short-stack will improve your car more than anything else you could do with $100. That or burn an extra $100 in tires during practice this month. 5g is less than a tenth of a percent of a 1500g buggies' total weight, don't spend the money trying to relocate that.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Sig is up to date - I love my Novak, man!

I have a possible line on a NIB MiP Pucks for the RB6, that'll burn a benjamin real quick. Let's hope the hobby shop in Montreal speaks English. If they do have it, if they do ship to the US for a reasonable price, that's an upgrade that will be worth it.