• 3 Post By anthonyscardina
  • 4 Post By fast-ho-cars
  • 2 Post By buster8787

Mains; First turn etiquette?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Mains; First turn etiquette?

I find myself blowing my position in the race in the first turn almost every time i race.

Being fairly new to he racing aspect of rc, im just curious the "official" stand on the first turn.

Im not saying going out to cause a wreck is appropriate, bit laying back all the time is putting me at a disadvantage too.

Where do you stand on the issue?
Old 06-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For the first turn I always play it safe, staying away from other cars. This is a lot faster than the amount of time it takes for a martial to get your car. Remember: slow is fast
Old 06-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

As someone also relatively new to racing, I find the more you race the less it happens. It's just not knowing your car and how to react to what's happening with a touch of nervousness. I used to do it a ton at first and now I'm more worried about someone coming up at me from behind. The people at the track used to make fun of me for it in a nice way because it turned me into an overly cautious driver. But you get over it and just drive. Now I get to make fun of the new people. Circle of life.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You can check up, and a lot of times the guy behind you will blow you up for your trouble. Of course, driving through the guy ahead is not very good form, either. Most of the time it's luck of the draw unless you have a group of drivers that are not only good, but have at least a modicum of courtesy.

That being said, if you are going to make contact, for your own good be on the gas. You have a much better chance of getting through the accident.
thirtydaZe likes this.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

1st turn even if im tq thats 1st .. ill either out accelerate .. or pause and wait for the smash then drive around the mess.. its however you play it..
Old 06-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I usually wait for the pile up, go around, only to get lapped later on anyways lol.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm going w/ luck of the draw, If your in the middle of the pack it's pure luck to get out of a tight 180 first turn. Staying on the gas seems to help when your making contact with other racers. My local track has a really tight 180 at the end of the straight and we start in the middle of the straight. Every main has a ugly start and even if your in the front of the pack ur not safe.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hobby town i race at, for expert 17.5 and 13.5 4wd they have started implementing on mains....cars are started inline (used to be left right stagger), 4-5 ft car spacing

no passing on straight, first turn, and first roller jump, there are some exceptions if a racer flips, drives into a pipe, or massively over shoots first turn, is asleep on the tone start, or has to be marshalled in those first three areas.

our announcer race director, will restart race, or issue stop and go which may be as long as the marshal takes to fix the car you hacked, and for that car to go by you. also announcer also lets drivers know when leaders approach later in a race, so you can hold a line, or take a slightly wider line so they can go by

doing this has cleaned up our starts, racers use their brakes more, and we have had first 2-3 laps at times run in a nice train, with clean passing
Old 06-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

There is an old saying in racing : You cant win a race on the first lap, but you can lose a race on the first lap
Evoking1230 and Goof like this.