Sponsorship questions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MarkA
  • 1 Post By robracing

Sponsorship questions

Old 03-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sponsorship questions

Hi guys. I don't get on here much so if this is in the wrong spot or is breaking some rule, let me know. Anyways, as I keep getting into the hobby, I want to get sponsored someday. My question is, do you think it is a bad idea to email a company now and ask them their sponsorship requirements? Would they think I'm a noob and not take me seriously? I want to know what the specific companies require before I go after it, but I don't want to ruin it for myself.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Well the biggest thing they want to see is a race resume, i.e. races you have attended and your placings. I keep a folder of my timesheets, and also have printouts of my AMB / Mylaps data as well.

Make sure you have your resume ready, also attending bigger races will look better as well, regardless of how you place.

Also there are different levels of sponsorship, i.e. parital / full etc.

But asking never hurts, as for certain companies make it easier than others, given that a lot of time they just would like to get some exposure.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

There are companies out there that will "sponsor" you right now even if your career best finish is 3rd in a stock B-main at a club race. That is because the vast majority of sponsorships are really just direct marketing deals. If you are a smaller/medium sized company, to get your product carried by the major online stores and into the specialized RC distribution system, you might have to sell it out your door for 30% of retail. If you "sponsor" people at 50% (when people say they are 50% or 70% or whatever with whatever company, that means how much off retail they are paying to buy that companies products), your margin is actually way better and you create a legion of fanboys for your stuff along the way. Just don't point out to said fanboys/"team drivers" that when you ship them a motor/car/gizmo at their "team price" and charge them shipping, they often wind up paying at least the same price as Amain... It's also not uncommon for your "team driver contract" to mandate that you have to buy alot of stuff you don't want/already have to get what you might want for the privilege of becoming a "team driver."

Here's a good article to ponder via LiveRC.
k_bojar likes this.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Just don't point out to said fanboys/"team drivers" that when you ship them a motor/car/gizmo at their "team price" and charge them shipping, they often wind up paying at least the same price as Amain..
I ran into the same scenario with motocross. You could get "sponsor deals" through a website and get X% off retail which sounded cool. This is until you compared the final price to a mail order catalog and realize its just the same and often cheaper.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

You have to get yourself into the picture. That can be performance wise but but it can be also with knowledge or as a good helper.
With todays economics no shop or manufacturer is going to give you a sponsor deal so you can drive cheap. You must give someting in return like driving important races. And there is a possibillity you get a deal with a bad product, you may never speak bad about it.

Shops can give you discounts, to me that is no sponsorship but only only a reason to do more shopping at that shop...

A sponsorship comes with responsabillities and commitment, if you can not comply them then do not try to get one. And basically, you will have more self respect, fun and spend money more carefull when you do it on your own budget.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shirillz731 View Post
Hi guys. I don't get on here much so if this is in the wrong spot or is breaking some rule, let me know. Anyways, as I keep getting into the hobby, I want to get sponsored someday. My question is, do you think it is a bad idea to email a company now and ask them their sponsorship requirements? Would they think I'm a noob and not take me seriously? I want to know what the specific companies require before I go after it, but I don't want to ruin it for myself.
MY first question, and most likely and potential sponsors first question, is going to be, "WHY do you want to be sponsored?"

There's a long list of other questions you need to ask yourself before becoming a "contract customer". But that's the most important one. IMO
Old 03-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
MY first question, and most likely and potential sponsors first question, is going to be, "WHY do you want to be sponsored?"

There's a long list of other questions you need to ask yourself before becoming a "contract customer". But that's the most important one. IMO
I agree with this 110%. I've been doing this off and on for over 25 years now and I can say that I'm not sure I would ever want to get sponsered (not that I could ever get that good anyway lol). There's many things to consider when becoming sponsored. Traveling to big races, which would often include hotel costs, food costs and other misc expenditures. Also, there's the pressure of always performing well. And when you're having a bad day you still have to be nice to be people, answer questions etc. At this point in my life I think I would rather just average racer guy and show up to support my local track - Access Hobbies in Springfield Ohio - and hang out with my friends. Just something to think about....
Old 03-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Some advice here from someone who was a "factory" driver years ago when factory sponsorships were pretty hard to come by. Just make sure that what you are being sponsored to run actually makes you faster. True story, I was running a big onroad race in northern California and struggling to find the speed. Got frustrated and walked into the hobby shop and bought a basic off the shelf Reedy modified. Was much faster with better run times. I learned right then that sponsorships have to be worthwhile on track, and not just on your wallet.

Travel, gasoline, hotels, food, and entry fees are your biggest expenses. Save for those, travel will some buddies, and go have fun. These days, it feels like sponsorship starts making RC racing "work" again. Not the goal for me. Just my two cents.
Goof likes this.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE View Post
I agree with this 110%. I've been doing this off and on for over 25 years now and I can say that I'm not sure I would ever want to get sponsered (not that I could ever get that good anyway lol). There's many things to consider when becoming sponsored. Traveling to big races, which would often include hotel costs, food costs and other misc expenditures. Also, there's the pressure of always performing well. And when you're having a bad day you still have to be nice to be people, answer questions etc. At this point in my life I think I would rather just average racer guy and show up to support my local track - Access Hobbies in Springfield Ohio - and hang out with my friends. Just something to think about....
Spot on...I have folks always wanting me to race big events. To me..club races are just as fun..especially most of the time all me friends can't go anyway to the big events. Like you said point in my life....why bother.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

delete

Last edited by Tamiyadan; 04-17-2019 at 08:38 AM.