Need help getting into racing

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By SouthFloridaApp
  • 1 Post By tobyzhang

Need help getting into racing

Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help getting into racing

I have been in the rc scene for about three years now and I have decided to give racing a try. I am wanting to give the 2wd buggy class a try.

What I am wanting to know is, what is a good starter buggy to get? My local tracks do both dirt and turf racing but I think I want to focus more on the turf for now.

I am wanting to keep my initial cost lower so I will be looking for a nice used buggy. Do I want to buy a used roller or a rtr? As far as motors and ESC goes I'm not really even sure what to get. What are some good ones for starting out?

Again I will be new to all of this so I dont need the latest and greatest setup, just something to get me going and be competitive.

Any input would be great. Thanks
Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can get a TLR 22 3.0 pretty cheap right now since the 4.0 just came out. It is a really good car. See if you can get one with the laydown transmission conversion for the turf.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wilson1 View Post
I have been in the rc scene for about three years now and I have decided to give racing a try. I am wanting to give the 2wd buggy class a try.

What I am wanting to know is, what is a good starter buggy to get? My local tracks do both dirt and turf racing but I think I want to focus more on the turf for now.

I am wanting to keep my initial cost lower so I will be looking for a nice used buggy. Do I want to buy a used roller or a rtr? As far as motors and ESC goes I'm not really even sure what to get. What are some good ones for starting out?

Again I will be new to all of this so I dont need the latest and greatest setup, just something to get me going and be competitive.

A lot of your questions can be answered by: What are the most common brands supported by your local track?

As for electronics, what class(es) are you planning on racing? (Check with your track to see what has good turn out, gearing up to race mod when everyone does stock or vise versa can be a bit of a set back).

As far as brands for electronics, for motor's top of lines are going to be your fantoms, maclans, schuurspeeds, orions from what I'm told, for esc I personally love the HW xerun line but have been debating on trying the maclan mmax pro esc. Really it's going to come down to what your budget is and what deals you can get to fit the best items into said budget.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Rookie

I found a b5m with a hobbywing ESC and a revtech 17.5 motor for $185 shipped.

It's the older one with the 4 gear transmission but the buggy appears to be in good shape and well maintained. Is that a good deal on that particular buggy?
Just looking for a ballpark figure, I know it's hard to say without seeing any pictures.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go to your track and ask many people. A lot of guys will sell last years model inexpensively. The most important thing is that you will gain friends and get expert advice.
GrandeGixxer and mooby64 like this.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wilson1 View Post

I think going to your track and see who has a used buggy for sale there is a good bet. Since the buggy has already been raced on your track, the setup shouldn't be far off. Asking for some used electronics for sale is also a good bet at this point.

Stay away from rtrs if you plan to race. I do suggest in investing in a good quality radio, a good charger, and some decent tools.
mooby64 likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

better find what track rules are 17.5 blinky or mod.. tires? .. id look for a sho used k2 would be great,,
Old 03-08-2017, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I second going with what others at the track race - especially if a hobby shop is near by - what parts do they stock etc.