How Much to pay RD? >

How Much to pay RD?

Like Tree5Likes

How Much to pay RD?

Old 02-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default How Much to pay RD?

Hello, I'm on a board for a nonprofit off-road racing club. Our RD has been the primary person for many years but is getting tired of it. Do you know if your RD gets paid? If so, how much?

Usually 35 people and 50-70 entries.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:17 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Why not train 5-6 people to run the program and rotate them through every couple races so they can race/wrench/rd on a volunteer basis instead of trying to pay one person to do it? That's basically what both tracks I race at in my area do for club races and they're both for-profit businesses; a club should have an easier time getting volunteers.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Generally on the club level RD's don't get paid. Some of the better ones will be paid to do a big event.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Our RD doesn't get paid for club races. The unpaid RD is usually a friend of the shop owner, or is the shop owner, and likely gets free entry fees for his racing.

RD...not usually a paid spot. They do it for the hobby/facility/club not the money..Have I seen clubs/tracks give RD's money for their help, yes. But more as a gift vs. expected salary.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Generally on the club level RD's don't get paid. Some of the better ones will be paid to do a big event.
Scotty Ernst ain't free
Old 02-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The board members do get free racing. We have 5 people at least including myself that could be on the mic but nobody wants to. We put incredible amounts of volunteer time (permitting, new track construction, regular maintenance, raffles, ect). Most of us put in the time so we can enjoy race time.

The Race Director really sets the "tone" for the race. If he keeps his cool, puts up with everyone's whining, and has a knack for creating excitement then it really seems important to club growth and stability.

If we paid the RD a buck an entry or $2 a head he would be happy. Ultimately That cost will get passed on to racers of course.

Still think it's best to divide the load rather than hire a willing and talented RD that is already there?
Goof likes this.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WALZ View Post
The board members do get free racing. We have 5 people at least including myself that could be on the mic but nobody wants to. We put incredible amounts of volunteer time (permitting, new track construction, regular maintenance, raffles, ect). Most of us put in the time so we can enjoy race time.

The Race Director really sets the "tone" for the race. If he keeps his cool, puts up with everyone's whining, and has a knack for creating excitement then it really seems important to club growth and stability.

If we paid the RD a buck an entry or $2 a head he would be happy. Ultimately That cost will get passed on to racers of course.

Still think it's best to divide the load rather than hire a willing and talented RD that is already there?
If a buck or two a head would hire a willing and talented RD, I think most racers would go along with that but you'll still have the problem of having an "undiversified portfolio" when it comes to that position - when he burns out, you're back to square one.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 AM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

If its a club or nonprofit duties should be rotated between members, if its a hobbyshop offer a discount or free racing.
1/8 IC Fan likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I as track owner and RD get to race for free and get a stand-in that calls for me when I race. but racing and doing RD is not the best way as I get no time to work on my stuff so it's more toss the car out there and drive then what I call racing. not that fun.

I have called races at other tracks and usually I got a minimum to cover my gas money if it becomes a practice day as not enough show up and I go home. that minimum is usually $20 if a local drive. and then I charge $1 an entry for a one day and $2 for 2 day as those races charge a little more usually. I just call the race. if it's an issue someone else handles it and TELLS me what to do with scoring. it's your track I'm just calling the race. this allows the club executives to race and only handle issues. the hardest thing is teaching someone how to call an event properly. that's a whole other thread.

what you need is someone that has the gift for gab and wants to be on the mic. hard to find. but sometimes a friend or wife might be talked into doing it to keep busy during the event. again hard to find but if they are getting paid it might make it easier to persuade them.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

RD's dont make money.. although if they are personally invested in track i have seen some get there share after rent and other expenses where taken out..rd should do it free or get heights free to race..
Old 03-14-2017, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Scotty Ernst ain't free
$5K plus expenses.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
rd should do it free or get heights free to race..
I have to disagree completely with this statement.

Have you ever RD'd? I do it for our local club... I take time out of my personal day to sit in a booth and get b*tched at and whined to, to do a better job, do this this way, do that that way, dont tell a certain person they can't sit while marshaling, beg for marshals so the next heat can race (sometimes going in 15 minutes in waiting time for a grown man to get off is derriere and do something a 14 year old does instantly after his heat)

What does an Rd get? Flack. Talked down to, disrespect over what their being asked to do because someone doesn't see eye to eye.

I haven't really raced with said club because I have had bad luck financially often right as the seasons starting, the field of work I used to be in was crap. So I volunteered every single Saturday with not so much as a thank you at the end of the day.

$1 per entry or $2 a head is what every RD should be getting paid, and then on big races up it to $5 a head.

Everyone who spouts off that rd's shouldn't get paid (I have heard it from multiple people, not seeing it on here as much) should have to sit and try and do as good a job as the current RD does. I'm no ace by any means, but I put up with way more crap from grown men than I should have to.

Just from an rd's point of view
WALZ and Goof like this.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

When i used to do Race Directing for my local club, i used to race for free.

Sometimes its really enjoyable and being the guy who calls it all, you get to see the regulars and new guys improve which is nice to see.

Other times, (like when we hosted bigger meetings), it was nothing less than a ball ache. Grown men having issues with each other but neither talking to each other, so one would come to me and bitch, then when he left the other would come over and bitch, then when he left the 1st would come back and want to know what he said etc etc.

Its a thankless task and ill be honest majority of the time not enjoyable. Occasionally it would feel worth it, but mainly it was something which needed doing and no-one else would do it.

I trained 6 people to use computer, timing system and microphone and none ever volunteered. When i left i went up to the club and it was complete shambles, in the end i came down to sell stuff and ended up back behind the computer....

oh well im off there tonight to sell stuff so im sure ill be in the hot seat
Old 03-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I must be one of the fortunate few who actually get paid as a part time employee at my local hobbyshop. I'm taking the summer off to actually hone in some of my announcing skills. I guess since I've gotten a little older (and hopefully wiser lol) I'm enjoying watching others improve on their, and we have a few veterans out there who love to not only enjoy watching the race happen but I get to announce it as well.

It can be a thankless job sometimes, especially when people start to complain etc. But at the end of the day i got paid to watch some really great racing and hang out with some friends.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't understand why anyone would expect the RD to work for free. A couple bucks per head seems a small price to pay for a day of work.

In organized sports, I've never heard of officials not being paid, even for young kids. How is this any different?

If you love the hobby, it would suck to have to watch without participating. If you're not a fan of the hobby, why would you volunteer to be RD in the first place?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service