Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Traction compound >

Traction compound

Traction compound

Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Traction compound

First day at the track for me today and someone was telling me about mixing oil and paint thinner to make a traction compound. Any truth to this or anyone do something like this?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monster Mudder View Post
First day at the track for me today and someone was telling me about mixing oil and paint thinner to make a traction compound. Any truth to this or anyone do something like this?
No idea, but that's definitely something you DON'T want to do without knowing EXACTLY what ingredients(& what quantities of them) are being used. Not to mention, there are easier alternatives to branded traction compounds, like Goo Gone Pro Power, for example( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goo-Gone-...Spray/17300573 ). It's what I use on pretty much all of my cars, be it off road rubber, on road USGT or touring car tires, VTA tires, even 1/12 scale foam tires(though I will use a track's preferred compound when they mandate it). I've found that Goo Gone works every bit as well as SXT 3.0(which I've also used on ALL of my cars), yet it costs MUCH less for a bigger bottle, & that lasts up to 6 months(as opposed to about 3 weeks for any bottle of SXT I buy)....
Old 02-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If the track has a built in hobby shop, buy whatever traction compoiund they recommend for the tires that you are using.

Seriously don't try to make your own concoction.

Worst comes to worst, most people get away with using wd40, if you wanna be hella cheap. If you do want to be a cheapo, apply wd40 evenly, let sit for 15 minutes. Wipe dry if tires are still wet. Wait 5 minutes and hit the track. Your car will be a bit squirrelly for the first few laps.