Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Season Points for weekly racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool Season Points for weekly racing

I have been thinking about this for a while , so i figured i would ask here.

This is for weekly club races or for Hobby shop tracks. I would like your feedback. Our local track doesn't do a point season and i am trying to convince him to start doing it because I think it could increase the crowds.

Do point seasons for your weekly club race matter to the guys at your track?

How long is your point season? 8 weeks? 10 weeks? 12 weeks?

Does your track use throw out weeks? If so how many? What do you consider optimal?

Please post your thoughts on this.
Thanks
Hugh
Old 12-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Points is a great way to keep people interested in the racing. Where I race we have used points since the beginning. We race anywhere from a 8 to 12 week series and are allowed to drop two weeks. You can either drop a week you miss or a "bad week".
This is how we rank the points:
Points are for Mains only

10 points for TQ

1st 100
2nd 95
3rd 90
4th 85
5th 80
6th 75
7th 70
8th 65
9th 60
10th 55
11th 50
12th 45
13th 40
14th 35
15th 30
16th 25
17th 20
18th 15
19th 10
20th 5
21st AND LOWER 1 POINT

We tally the points and post them weekly on the track website. Hope that helps.
Jim
Old 12-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Arrow points series

oh yeah. we have done it here, at the gate, each season. due to the highly competitive nature of our patrons, this fall the stakes were raised. courtesy of a generous offer by eric anderson (ea) of ea motorsports, a team sponsorship was on the line. one each to the top finisher for stock 12th and stock sedan. we wrapped it up last sunday and the recipients of the prizes were:

1/12th - ray adams
sedan - chris music

watch for these guys to be even faster this spring! props to ea!

thanks, man.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

We've done a summer series for the last two seasons. It's a complicated system, but makes racing very fair and rewards consistancy.

The series last 12 races. Each racer gets two drops. These can count for no-shows or worst finishes.

Rules:

1 pt. for TQ
1 pt. for making the A-main
1 pt. for every racer you finish ahead of.

100 pts for the winner
98 for second
97 for third
96 for fourth
ect...

This system yeilds a very tight series if you have racers with similiar skill levels. It is a weighted points series b/c if you have more racers in a class, then the winner gets more points making that race more valuable.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

we do one point for tq 100 for first and down the line.. Im not sure id like the 10 points for tq thing listed above.. if you have one person who Tq's every week there gonna walk away the winner without ever even finishing an a main. Where i run we race oval. ive got 4-5 tq's and 4-5 wins.. I would have a 50 point lead on second place at least, and he would have no chance to catch me. At least only being 1-2 points behind it gives the other people a chance to com back..

if you run an 8 car main

first gets 100
second 99
third 98
fourth 97
fifth 96
sixth 95
seventh 94
8th 93 and tq+10 final 103 points

finishing last you still come out 3 points more then the winner.. i dont see how fair that is..
Old 12-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

WE tried a points series and it looked like things where going well. One point for TQ and 100 to win 99 for second and down the line. We only did it for a spec nitro class. Take off rubber tires, everyone had to buy the same engine and pipe from the hobby shop for $125 (what a great deal).

After the third race I had about 5 points on second place. That was when I started hearing people say that they had no chance in catching me and the turnout started to drop off. It was 8 out of 10 races. The series only ran 9 races. At the eighth race I had enough points that I didn't need to run the nineth race. On the nineth race there where three guys running. I moved up to the Mod class so the other guys could fight it out for second and third. The prizes where $750 for first, $125 for second and $100 for third.

At first it was great, lots of competition and full mains but after the turnout started to drop then it was like I was doing the races just for the money. I would of rather been running in the Mod class with the main group of guys. Don't get me wrong the money was great and I was running each week but half way through I wish that I could have switched class.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the responses guys.

Do points seasons matter to you? Does it add to your want to be at the track?

Thanks
Hugh
Old 12-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ObiWan Kablowme
Thanks for the responses guys.

Do points seasons matter to you? Does it add to your want to be at the track?

Thanks
Hugh

I say yes.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default points

I say it does draw people to races and keeps them coming back on a regular basis for the series races. I have seen in my area the turnout drop towards the end because those not running in the front lose some interest, It would be benificial to find a way to keep these guys coming back to somehow.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
WE tried a points series and it looked like things where going well. One point for TQ and 100 to win 99 for second and down the line. We only did it for a spec nitro class. Take off rubber tires, everyone had to buy the same engine and pipe from the hobby shop for $125 (what a great deal).

After the third race I had about 5 points on second place. That was when I started hearing people say that they had no chance in catching me and the turnout started to drop off. It was 8 out of 10 races. The series only ran 9 races. At the eighth race I had enough points that I didn't need to run the nineth race. On the nineth race there where three guys running. I moved up to the Mod class so the other guys could fight it out for second and third. The prizes where $750 for first, $125 for second and $100 for third.

At first it was great, lots of competition and full mains but after the turnout started to drop then it was like I was doing the races just for the money. I would of rather been running in the Mod class with the main group of guys. Don't get me wrong the money was great and I was running each week but half way through I wish that I could have switched class.
What was the entry fee to get the cash prizes you had? Or did the LHS kick in? Seams to me, that would draw a BIG crowd around here for that kind of purse
Old 01-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

Sorry, I didn't put this in the last reply, but point series races do help the attendance at our track. I think it gives everyone a shot at the top spot. Every track has a "guy to beat".. and that can be a draw for the rest of us
Old 01-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run 12 week seasons with points as such:

1st - 25
2nd - 23
3rd - 21
4th - 20
5th - 19 etc