Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery mah for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery mah for racing?

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.
I'm just getting back into the hobby after about 12 years. Last truck was a TL XXXT. I just pre ordered the TLR SCT 3.0. Also ordered the Novak Crusher system.
I'm curious about batteries now. My track runs 3 5 minute heats and a 7 minute A-main. Is it common to buy a higher mah battery and use it for several heats? Or a lower one and just use it for 1 heat? Also, any battery recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

5-6000 is plenty. I ran an 80c battery in my 4x4 sct with a 4.5 turn 550 motor. Yes it was fast. Better check the motor/battery rules before you buy. It would run for about 15 mins fully charged. Buying a higher mah (seen some 10,000) for practice. Just not necessary for a 7 min race. I charge my ebuggy between rounds.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Deton8er
I'm just getting back into the hobby after about 12 years. Last truck was a TL XXXT. I just pre ordered the TLR SCT 3.0. Also ordered the Novak Crusher system.
I'm curious about batteries now. My track runs 3 5 minute heats and a 7 minute A-main. Is it common to buy a higher mah battery and use it for several heats? Or a lower one and just use it for 1 heat? Also, any battery recommendations would be greatly appreciated
I have the TLR SCT 2.0 with a Mamba Max Pro and a Tekin Redline Gen2 10.5T. In a 8 minute main I'm still well above storage charge after the race if I run a 6000mah battery. I could go a 20 minute main for sure. I have a couple of 4000mah batteries as well and they are more than enough to finish a main and still have plenty left.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. So if I had a good 6000mah I could run two 5min heats? Should I charge the battery I between even if it's not discharged?
Old 08-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Easily. I don't think you should have to charge between, but I would just in case
Old 08-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Agree to charge just in case, at least so that you have a fully charge battery for the main.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Suspended

5000 50c will get you thru a 7 minute main always charge between races.. i run a lst sct v2 with a tenshock 3500
Old 08-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

So no need to discharge the Lipo before charging it?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Tech Initiate

So no need to discharge the Lipo before charging it?
You can just top it up, no need to discharge.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Always charge between heats and balance charge at that - no need to discharge.

If you can afford, I would run multiple batteries. Heat destroys LiPos and unless you can make sure your battery has cooled down in time for you to charge it back it and get to the next heat.

And do spend the time getting your pack back to storage charge at the end of the day otherwise your LiPo will deteriorate quicker
Old 08-17-2016, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

if you dont want heat in the battery why is it that I see so many people charging at a fast rate then discharging after there run.. I just dont want to have to buy extra batteries as it's me and my son racing and it could get rather expensive buying =several batteries.. thanks for anymore info.. Jedd
Old 09-23-2016, 03:39 AM
Tech Rookie

You can easily get 2 5 minute runs without charging maybe 3 depending on what motor you run. But you at least need 2 batteries per car
Old 09-28-2016, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The reason why you want to charge after every run is to max out the voltage. Hence towards the end of your run your battery will not suffer from a significant voltage loss.

Most of us wait ten minutes before you charge again. There is really no need to have multiple batteries unless your charger charges at low amperage and you do not have a lot of time before races.....or u want to get back on the track for practice sooner. Hence, two batteries will be more than enough in the worst case scenario.

I would ask in the Losi Sct thread regarding what milliamp battery to get. I personally think a minimum is 6000 mah but I d not run your SCT or run at your track. Ask at the track too...
Old 10-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Might be a good idea to find a couple of fellow racers running the same truck/class at your track, and find out what batteries they're using... why try to reinvent the wheel
Old 10-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

I think a lot of guys missed something in your first post. If you preordered the 3.0, then it's the SCTE 3.0 4wd, which will be different than alot of the guys below are talking about.

You'll want 6500mah+ Batteries, personally I run www.smc-racing.net 7200mah batteries in my 4wd. 4wd's are power hungry rigs, and you don't want to be running your truck to lipo cut off, at any time. I can run a 7 minute main and have my batteries at 3.8 a cell (Which is storage charge) If you happen to go someplace that runs 8-10 minute mains for 4wd sct, you may not have enough. Some guys commented to use one battery for 2 rounds...Never...You'd see too much of a drop off, and flirt with lipo cutoff which is not good. Charge between every round. And yes, minimum 2 batteries for each vehicle you want to run. I used to run 3 for 4wd sct just because. But when i bought new batteries for this season, I only bought 2.

Also, the power plant you want is a bit different. Most run a 4 pole motor with a good size ESC. I personally run all Gen 2 RX8's with SMC motors. (4500kv for sct)

IGNORE all of the above if you meant that you ordered the 22SCT 2.0