Wiki Posts
Search

Swearing at the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Default Swearing at the track

This happens way to much at some of my local tracks. It drives me a little crazy but what can you say?

I know in the real world guys swear. I get that. I just hate seeing it at the track. There is lots of kids there and people still let it rip.

My daughter used to come with me but now she won't as all the swearing just makes her so uncomfortable and scares her off. She was doing well with racing but it put her right off.

I've asked race announcers to mention it before and when they do most guys just laugh it off. I thought this was meant to be a family hobby/sport.

When I've asked people to 'tone it down' they seem to take offense. What do you think it the most polite way of asking them?

I really think it drives quite a few people away from our tracks. Th track owners do agree it should not go on but they don't enforce it much.

Maybe a no swearing sign at the track?

I did think about buying one and giving to the track owners to put up?

I really don't want to seem like a prude so hate to mention it time after time.

How does your track deal with it?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:32 AM
Tech Initiate

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, it seems your local track doesn't give a toss. Sadly, there aren't so many tracks as to enable us to vote with our wallets, so in many cases, you are stuck with poor management.

I think in this particular case, as someone with a 5yr old daughter who may or may not one day get into RC, I would explain to her that some people are just rude and not to pay any attention. I expect your daughter (as mine) is probably a bit sensitive, ours is overly so, to be honest, so it might be a struggle. As for the people who take offense at being asked not to swear in front of children, they are not worth the time of day, take it on the chin and have no further interaction with them.

Here in Greece, you would have the same problem, they swear a lot. Again the nature of this hobby being so close knit makes it very difficult to combat. The track owner is also the LHS owner, so all the track customers know him and he knows them, it wouldn't be easy for him to suggest a no-swearing policy, they would ignore him unless he barred them from the track, which would certainly put a dent in his model sales. It's easy to make a rule, but not so easy to enforce, or live with the consequences of enforcement.

A rock and a hard place really, as I said above, I think the only thing you can do is educate your children to understand that there are selfish and uncultured people in the world. Good luck with it.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:41 AM
Tech Initiate

As an addendum in response to your question about whether a sign at the track will do it...I have a better idea. Create a campaign! Print leaflets with a big bold title 'RESPECT', and a single paragraph highlighting the problem. Or another approach, have your daughter rwite an open letter to frequentees of the track saying that she gets frightened when people are aggressive and swear a lot, and that she really wants to play RC but being at the track makes her nervous, then hand them out, or even better, ask the track owner to wrap the transponders in them. You might be surprised how quickly you can change a culture if you're clever about it and pull on people's heart strings.

Last edited by Foxy; 02-25-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I heard swearing in school by the time I was in 3rd grade or about 8 years old so its really nothing new. If that is the worst thing a kid hears nowadays especially then that isn't that bad. Yes guys should tone it down some and I know at are track most do so its not a huge problem. It is racing so sometimes guys get a little out of hand and then are owner will go over and say something to them and its not a problem after that as we do have a fair amount of kids at are track. I will say if someone actually swears at a young kid then my owner, or anyone of the staff finds out will have a talk with the offending party right away and 99% of the time that is all it takes. We don't allowing that kind of behavior and especially when it comes to kids but we do realize that people will swear so we take care of it as needed and over the yeas hasn't been huge problem. I have to say I do swear a lot at my job but at the track I turn it off 99% of the time.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm getting back into racing after a 25 year break and enjoy the competition very much. However, I have noticed the swearing more...I'm probably more sensitive since I am now a father of two girls. When they are at the track, I have asked people to tone down the language and they usually respond well. I ask them politely and even try to make a new friend while I do it.

I agree with the comment that if it is directed at a child, it needs to be dealt with directly. Ultimately, we all swear at times, even if just in our heads, so no judgement toward my rc friends that let an expletive rip in the heat of competition! I just want our hobby to be appealing to as many people as possible.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Since this is our hobby and go to the track to enjoy the cars and buggies we have built, NOBODY should be exposed to offensive / hostile attitudes. If I wanna hear that crap I'll stay at work or hang around thugs. At the end of the day we the adults have to first control ourselves and lead by example. The young people see that kind of behavior and think it's the norm around the track. Wrong message .... Nobody gets paid to race Rc cars , so chill out and enjoy your little toys. No need to get upset over some new guy cutting you off.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Thanks for the input. Yeah my Daughter is sensitive to it as we brought them both up to not swear.

Of course she hears it all the time at school but she has no option on being there.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

There's also degrees. When I started, there was plenty of S's and such, but the number of F-bombs was pretty low.

I recently jumped back in and was pretty astounded by the sheer volume (both number and loudness) of F-bombs.

Oh well.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

and what is your position on the subject of swearing if said person has a neurological condition?
sometimes i struggle to speak if im excited and out of frustration i do happen to swear and its always an f-bomb. its sort of like" i was going into the corner a little quick and clipped, clipped, clipped,clipped......f-bomb......the pipe and rolled"
its actually upsetting me to write this as im trying to get back into racing after a few years and having my condition now im worried ill be kicked out of the tracks.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

That pesky 1st amendment might be an issue for you. Sure, you could start a club, collect dues, and then be able to infringe on a public right (in the USA) however, I doubt this would take place.

How about you be a responsible parent, and sit your daughter down and explain that people are all different, and come from different places and have different expectations in life. Explain that just because someone does something a certain way, doesn't mean it's the way you do it too. Explain right from wrong, and why people say things like they do.

What's the oldest saying? Words will never hurt me...Unfortunately, the protestant/prude culture that America was founded on is still perpetuated today. This same culture is what gave America prohibition.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brit_racer
Of course she hears it all the time at school but she has no option on being there.
So it's OK for teachers and other kids to swear around your children, but not someone at the track enjoying themselves?

this world is stupid.

Last edited by Grizzbob; 03-02-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: language
Old 03-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by Boomer; 04-20-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think asking people not to curse when around you and or your daughter is a fine thing to do. I would think that most people would be open to it but, depending on where you are, curse words are common place. I was raised with a little decency so curse words are not in my daily vocabulary. Just not professional enough for me.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I understand guys head to the track to enjoy the comradely and blow off steam. I also don't think it's a big deal if someone occasionally lets something slip out of their mouth that isn't good manners....but it's usually a big mouth that continues to drop the F bomb or feels the need to share his inappropriate story with the entire track instead of just his couple buddies that makes it not kid friendly. I'm not having a conversation with my kids explaining why it's ok for people to talk like that...that's not being a responsible parent?! Why would I need to justify someone else's behavior to my kids or I'm not being responsible?

I think when in public with the possibility of younger folks being around you should be a responsible adult and keep your swearing to a minimum or at least keep your voice down....that's basic manners. Go to a bar or any other number of places that don't have kids around to let it fly. Contrary to some peoples opinion, an RC track/racing IS a family friendly activity.

It's not at a first amendment issue... It's a lack of common sense and manners issue.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaymancd
I think asking people not to curse when around you and or your daughter is a fine thing to do. I would think that most people would be open to it but, depending on where you are, curse words are common place. I was raised with a little decency so curse words are not in my daily vocabulary. Just not professional enough for me.
And I agree, there is a time & place for a colorful word, but when children are present, it's inappropriate, & impolite. And Socket, if you really want to be like a mod here, I'd watch the language yourself. Yes, I know we have the First Ammendment, but this is a PRIVATELY owned forum, & a FAMILY-ORIENTED one at that. There ARE children here, & using those colorful words here are NOT tolerated. If you have a problem with that, I'm sure there are other forums you can do that on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.