Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
ATTN OCRC Racers (Huntington Beach, CA) Need your advice.. >

ATTN OCRC Racers (Huntington Beach, CA) Need your advice..

ATTN OCRC Racers (Huntington Beach, CA) Need your advice..

Old 01-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ATTN OCRC Racers (Huntington Beach, CA) Need your advice..

Hi All,

I'm new-ish back into the RC scene (been in hiatus for 10+ years)

So all of the brushless/lipo stuff is all new to me.

Just picked up a B44.2, took it out to the track to realize I'd probably get swallowed up in the Noob Class.
Fast forward a couple of weeks, and bought a Schelle setup, so here is where my questions lie.

I essentially am now building a brand newish car, I WAS a fairly skilled driver.
I thinking to run in the stock/intermediate class, BUT i've been reading with the new tech out that more and more guys are running mod.

BASED ON OCRC's setup, what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about buying a new motor and ESC setup, but dont necessarily want to buy 2-3 motors to run in multiple classes, nor do I want to bite off more than I can chew and make an ass out of myself racing...(I barely made it a few full laps, no joke, it was pathetic. Always on my lid)

So far I have a brand new Associated Non sensored ESC (SC1300), a Speed Passion ESC and 17.5 motor combo (currently in my onroad car), and a Castle ESC and motor setup (fast, I'd assume somewhere in the 6.5-8.5 range)

OR

I bite the bullet and purchase a new Orion R10.1 setup, with a motor to be recommended.

So here is a combination of things that have been told to me and I already knew....
1. 4WD is not as big of a class as 2WD buggy, I never had a 4WD off road back in the day so I just wanted 4WD. No other reason, at this point I already have it, so I'm using it.
2. I feel I'm a quick study, so I've learned not to buy noob stuff only to go out and buy the pro stuff a few weeks later.
3. I realize that I need a lot of practice since I left off years ago with on-road, and semi got back into RC with another on road, only to find out there isnt enough demand to get regular racing. So my off road knowledge is ancient, and any good advice is welcome.
4. Lastly, gearing. Its always been my Achilles heel, any FULL recommendations??
- What I mean by FULL recommendations:
Motor Size, Spur and Pinion, AND car feel/expectation. I know the basics, but always seem to be dumbfounded and can't find my ass from my elbow when I need to pick the right gearing combo...

Thanks for your help everyone, and thanks to the turn marshalls that flipped over my car every 10 feet last time I was out....LOL
Old 01-06-2016, 01:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If ocrc runs 13.5 wheeler that would make the most sense for what motor wind you'd want to but. I'm a big fan of Motiv motors, but have heard good things about the new Reedy's as well.

Also, the locals at my track run the R10.1 Stock as its cheaper than it's pro counterpart. Our track is too small for boost anyway but ymmv!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fenton06
If ocrc runs 13.5 wheeler that would make the most sense for what motor wind you'd want to but. I'm a big fan of Motiv motors, but have heard good things about the new Reedy's as well.

Also, the locals at my track run the R10.1 Stock as its cheaper than it's pro counterpart. Our track is too small for boost anyway but ymmv!
Thanks Fenton,

I just found out that they run a Rookie class, "brung what you run" and a 4WD mod, obviously any motor too..

soooo, now I really dont know what motor to run..LOL
any recommendations?

I think at this rate I'm going to just run a mod motor and learn the hard way into racing again. I did realize real fast that a faster motor means I crash more, and drive even crappier.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
Thanks Fenton,

I just found out that they run a Rookie class, "brung what you run" and a 4WD mod, obviously any motor too..

soooo, now I really dont know what motor to run..LOL
any recommendations?

I think at this rate I'm going to just run a mod motor and learn the hard way into racing again. I did realize real fast that a faster motor means I crash more, and drive even crappier.
What model is the castle motor? And what ESC model is the Speed Passion?

First of all, before you buy anything you should get comfortable so you can make the next purchase wisely. I think you have enough tools to do so.

It sounds like your best bet may be to put the Castle motor in alongside the LRP ESC. Many run motors in the 5.5-6.5 range in 4WD. So if the castle is in the 6.5-8.5 range you may be good to start getting wheel time (I wouldn't run it as your final setup). No sense in buying say a 13.5 motor to get more comfortable with driving and then turn around and buy a quicker mod motor. Also, I think all Castle motors are non-sensored. I really don't think that'll be an issue for now especially since you're running 4WD.

So try the castle, de-tune with the ESC, gearing, and transmitter (end points and expo) as necessary.

For gearing, check out www.petitrc.com and look at other setups. Problem is, without knowing what motor, I would have no idea what gearing to suggest.

For motor reference: I currently run a 6.5 in my wheeler, and it's more than enough. Probably too much. I have tried an 8.5 in the past and that just doesn't seem to cut it. If I did it all over again I'd go with a 7.5.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

IMO if you run the 4wd mod class you are going to spend the majority of the time pulling over for the fast guys, especially if you are new. I would say that a 4wd buggy isn't a great choice for a first car...I would recommend parting with it and going in the shop and seeing Jackie or Nick, they can get you setup with a 2wd buggy/truck/SC that you will be more comfortable with and will be more reliable than the 4wd buggy. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by goehm
What model is the castle motor? And what ESC model is the Speed Passion?

First of all, before you buy anything you should get comfortable so you can make the next purchase wisely. I think you have enough tools to do so.

It sounds like your best bet may be to put the Castle motor in alongside the LRP ESC. Many run motors in the 5.5-6.5 range in 4WD. So if the castle is in the 6.5-8.5 range you may be good to start getting wheel time (I wouldn't run it as your final setup). No sense in buying say a 13.5 motor to get more comfortable with driving and then turn around and buy a quicker mod motor. Also, I think all Castle motors are non-sensored. I really don't think that'll be an issue for now especially since you're running 4WD.

So try the castle, de-tune with the ESC, gearing, and transmitter (end points and expo) as necessary.

For gearing, check out and look at other setups. Problem is, without knowing what motor, I would have no idea what gearing to suggest.

For motor reference: I currently run a 6.5 in my wheeler, and it's more than enough. Probably too much. I have tried an 8.5 in the past and that just doesn't seem to cut it. If I did it all over again I'd go with a 7.5.

Thanks for the reply, Its a Speed Passion Reventon S with 17.5 motor (was in my on road car)

A racing friend of mine suggested it to me, but I seem to be having a lot of issues with it. (I even had other people who have knowledge of that ESC still say its funky) so I'm not too keen on continuing to dick with it, other than to use it for awhile despite the issues to save a few bucks.

The castle setup that came with the original B44.2, only says 100,000 RPM...but has no other markings to figure out what type of motor and esc it could be...I think I may just leave it in that chassis and sell it with it.

I did some research and I think I will go with your suggestion of getting a 7.5t motor. I dont want to get a 8.5 and get out motored, then again get a 6.5 and cant drive it more than a few feet without crashing lol...

I guess since there isnt as much competition with my on road car, I was thinking of using the Reventon S, sensored ESC with a new say Reedy or Orion 7.5t.

What are your thoughts on that?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
IMO if you run the 4wd mod class you are going to spend the majority of the time pulling over for the fast guys, especially if you are new. I would say that a 4wd buggy isn't a great choice for a first car...I would recommend parting with it and going in the shop and seeing Jackie or Nick, they can get you setup with a 2wd buggy/truck/SC that you will be more comfortable with and will be more reliable than the 4wd buggy. Just my opinion though.
Please heed this advice.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Socket
Please heed this advice.

Plain as day....

1. 4WD is not as big of a class as 2WD buggy, I never had a 4WD off road back in the day so I just wanted 4WD. No other reason, at this point I already have it, so I'm using it.