Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
members only tracks? >

members only tracks?

members only tracks?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default members only tracks?

what's everyone's take on this? good, bad?

I found a off road track semi close to home that requires a membership to run there. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a membership for a RC track.
I know it's common practice for flying fields and all.

and I'm not sure if you have unlimited access to it. what if you can only go there once a month? seems a bit anti social elitist and bad for the hobby if you ask me.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing View Post
what's everyone's take on this? good, bad?

I found a off road track semi close to home that requires a membership to run there. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a membership for a RC track.
I know it's common practice for flying fields and all.

and I'm not sure if you have unlimited access to it. what if you can only go there once a month? seems a bit anti social elitist and bad for the hobby if you ask me.
Not a bad idea. I think it'll help keep tracks opened. A lot of tracks cost more money than people think to rent space and maintain. If you can get a core group of guys to make the payments then you will always have a place to race. Here in NY renting an 8000sq/ft space can easily cost 5k-8k a month. Fyi that is not rear the NYC area. We have only 1 track at the moment in NY (near nyc) and it's an indoor offroad track. The old indoor offroad track shut down after 15+ years. i currently drive 40 minutes to an 80x34 track or if i want to run on a larger track i have to drive 2 hours. I race every weekend and i go to both. you're calling it Elitist but is there another place to race in your area? if not you have to ask why..
Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Suspended

there are at least 4 other tracks and 2 onroad tracks. by elitist I mean they don't seem to want "outsiders" in their club. is how I view it.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Pay to play. Tracks cost money, time and effort. Maybe you can contribute via means other than monetary.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

there are at least 4 other tracks and 2 onroad tracks. by elitist I mean they don't seem to want "outsiders" in their club. is how I view it.
If they don't want outsiders they wouldn't allow you to join. And if that's the way they want it, that's their perrogative. But like you said, flying fields have been doing this for a long time, and it seems to work. If you have a stake in it, you're going to take some pride in it, and not allow others to try and take it away from you through carelessness.

Ever seen the European tracks? Those are almost all club tracks, and for some the dues are $500 a year!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

from your statment i'm going to ASSume they wont let you join... is that the case?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
from your statment i'm going to ASSume they wont let you join... is that the case?
I personally would never consider it. that's why I've never bought a plane even though I really want one.

the track looks really nice and all but, no thanks. if it was the ONLY place to go to then maybe. but it's a 90% chance I wouldn't have a RC car at all if that was the only track.

back in 2003 that's why I sold all my RC stuff. the local onroad track was members only. several hundred bucks to join, mandatory meetings, mandatory other stuff. no thanks.

i am actually more willing to volunteer my time than be told to show up on a nice weekend to work.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 01-04-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Suspended

there is actually a flying field by my house. literally down the road. their website says in order to become a member you have to meet with all the other members separately in a meeting. basically an interview process. then they vote to allow you to join. on top of that, you can only join of they have an opening.
I know two of the members. I used to work for one of them at his dads company. the other one I know from the motorcycle shop he owns.
I just don't even want to bother with something like that. it's not a upscale golf course.

the only flying field in distance that I would consider joining based on their website and flying filed location is these guys, http://www.hawksrc.org/

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 01-04-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

There was a time when all RC tracks were clubs. There was no such thing as a commerical track. And like any other club, if you wanna race, you need to help. Running an RC track is a tremdous amount of work.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Backyard
Club
Commercial
Private
They provide different levels of service and require different levels of money.
You choose.
Heck yea I'd pay for private. Think about it.
Now the part about being approved by members ? yea thats chaps me too but you can only have so many members.

Last edited by asc6000; 01-04-2014 at 04:40 PM.