UK Race Talk

Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Actually number of cells dont need sorting. 6 cell all the way. The only way to stop cells getting killed is to let the voltage do the work. You lower the cells you are asking the current to do the work and you kill the cells. A high voltage system is far more efficient than high current... end of story. Once got that realised then put something like a turn limit the on the motors to stop it from granading and we are all happy.

Last edited by sonneteer; 01-04-2007 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by sonneteer
Actually number of cells dont need sorting. 6 cell all the way. The only way to stop celsl getting killed is to let the voltage do the work. You lower the cells you are asking the current to do the work and you kill the cells. A high voltage system is far more efficient high current... end of story. Once got that realised then put something like a turn limit the on the motors to stop it from granading and we are all happy.

i don`t think the some people see it your way for some reason , thus we have all these classes proping up with diferent cell count
RE;;we don`t really need any more classes & making one for 13.5 brushless is not that clever

RE;comm vs can ,which gets hotter ??
i`m going to ask some one ,i`m willing to change my thoughts if proved different
Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mi2dude
Nice example of how to play nice Colin......

May all followers of the Colin please Ignore his manners, not very sportsman like
I see people are carrying on the trend from 2006 on uk race talk nice work boys!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boosta
I see people are carrying on the trend from 2006 on uk race talk nice work boys!!!
indeed
Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

sorry
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sonneteer
Actually number of cells dont need sorting. 6 cell all the way. The only way to stop celsl getting killed is to let the voltage do the work. You lower the cells you are asking the current to do the work and you kill the cells. A high voltage system is far more efficient high current... end of story. Once got that realised then put something like a turn limit the on the motors to stop it from granading and we are all happy.
Agreed Remo, 6 cell all the way!!

The question is as Colin says..

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
i don`t think the some people see it your way for some reason
The question is WHY DON'T THEY what other reasons could there be???

The way I see it, sooner or later - 6 cells (or some new battery technology like LiPo) AND brushless. It's simple really.

Have to see what 2007 brings.. reliable brushless ESC's without the thermalling problems etc.. hmm it must be possible, it is possible.. but is it affordable?? TCS system required? extra expense
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Boosta
Hey don't blame me, I'm not the one who Keeps on about it........
....... I tried to Play Nice but wasnt allowed too

Anyways I'll sort it tonight if hes there.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Terry_S
The way I see it, sooner or later - 6 cells (or some new battery technology like LiPo) AND brushless. It's simple really.

Have to see what 2007 brings.. reliable brushless ESC's without the thermalling problems etc.. hmm it must be possible, it is possible.. but is it affordable?? TCS system required? extra expense
can`t see how the 13.5 brushless will work coz that item for sure is far to expensive for entry level class
so 27t will have to stay here ,this is allright @club level & the other series ,but both can`t run together either (13.5/27t)
Main thorn in the side is money/price of it
it should be made available to the masses & the 13.5 is not that

6 cell , 5 cell or what the hell
idea ;;lower running cost`s,bring in more new comers to the Nats
splitting up cell count won`t bring in new comers to the nats ,if anything it wil drive them away to other racing

coz we are coming back to the club vs Nats here again (going round in bleedin circles here )
there should 2 sets of rules
1 for club use & the other nats use running in parralell to each other

not a unwritten rule for clubs to say they can run what ever they want ,some of them want it in writing they are supported by the BRCA & covered by the ins if they allow certain things to be used ,some clubs go by the BRCA rules only ;what ever ,this does not Encourage clubs to try out new stuff for the BRCA to pick up on & then claim the glory

stability in rules from club to nats ,then you will get intrest from new racers
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Addict

can`t see how the 13.5 brushless will work coz that item for sure is far to expensive for entry level class
so 27t will have to stay here ,this is allright @club level & the other series ,but both can`t run together either (13.5/27t)

Colin on the first how do you know this there are very few people running then side by side and from what I have read from the yanks talking is that they are pretty similar.

And with regards to rule stability there is no way on earth that a new racers would be more interested by this hell when I started I didnt race outside my local club for years, 1. I didnt give it a thought and was only interested in beating my mates.

2. When I did seek to race nationally I looked at the rules and went along with them, same as I`m sure most people do.

What really needs to be done is to drive the cost of everything down.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:57 AM
Tech Regular

i don`t think the some people see it your way for some reason , thus we have all these classes proping up with diferent cell count
RE;;we don`t really need any more classes & making one for 13.5 brushless is not that clever
Well I am guessing most of them have not got real electrical/electronics backgrounds. Always assuming that all cells and components are perfect. A cell has no internal resistance and nor does the cables. The thing that really pisses me off is that it is not rocket science... using DC to transfer power is bad enough (although no choice here), but high current also???

I am not saying an easy one with the mixed types of motors, but the cell issue is clear as water...

RE;comm vs can ,which gets hotter ??
i`m going to ask some one ,i`m willing to change my thoughts if proved different
I see many google heat effect on magnets and they see heat is one of the enemy... but they dont say how much heat.... at temp we get the can in racing is a walk in the park for the mags...

I am far more concern with resistance in the current path... which goes up with temp. One musn't assume wires in armatures has no resistance and remains so under high temp... at such high currents ANY resistace is BAD.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

heheh, you guys have far too much free time.

what really matters is: gear it too high motor go boom, gear it too low motor your dog slow , gear it right motor gets warm but stays consistent.

BAtteries have more voltage (ITS ALL ABOUT THE VOLTAGE) more volts = more speed.

13.5 discussion......probably more efficient but colin this wouldnt be a reason to stick your lipo arguement in there too would it?

the way i see it = more volt = more speed = smaller pinion = good performance

or if your no so smart = more volt = more speed = same pinion = more heat = more resistance = even more heat = crap performance = BOOM!.

thing is if your smooth with the throttle you could run a lower ratio that a throttle jammer.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Tech Regular

splitting up cell count won`t bring in new comers to the nats ,if anything it wil drive them away to other racing

coz we are coming back to the club vs Nats here again (going round in bleedin circles here )

The Nats arn't supposed to be for newcomers!!!!!! It should be a competition for the best from the UK!

2 different sets of rules??!!!???!! WHAT!!???!! OK so I have all this equipment for my weekly club racing, but now I want to do a nat, oh no none of this can be used it rules to completely different rules, I'll just have to go and buy another set of gear to do nats. Yep definatly sounds like I'm saving money there.........

Sorry but that has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions I've ever heard.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Main thorn in the side is money/price of it
it should be made available to the masses & the 13.5 is not that

not a unwritten rule for clubs to say they can run what ever they want ,some of them want it in writing they are supported by the BRCA & covered by the ins if they allow certain things to be used ,some clubs go by the BRCA rules only ;what ever ,this does not Encourage clubs to try out new stuff for the BRCA to pick up on & then claim the glory

Clubs should dictate there own rules using BRCA national rules as guidelines.

most clubs who wanna use them ..fine, if you dont fine.

Clubs who wanna attract new members should relax a little, and those with people who run nationals should know better.

Aldershot runs the policy as long as you have about 4 racer you get a heat.
kinda makes sence
Old 01-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
The Nats arn't supposed to be for newcomers!!!!!! It should be a competition for the best from the UK!

2 different sets of rules??!!!???!! WHAT!!???!! OK so I have all this equipment for my weekly club racing, but now I want to do a nat, oh no none of this can be used it rules to completely different rules, I'll just have to go and buy another set of gear to do nats. Yep definatly sounds like I'm saving money there.........

Sorry but that has to be one of the most ridiculous suggestions I've ever heard.
I can see where your coming from but! theres always a but....

As you say, the national's arn't for newcomers, there for the best in the UK. The only problem I see here is that most clubs use the BRCA rules, or at least in part as these are what we use to keep fair play and further, as Club Race Director's we assume that the BRCA with their wealth of experience know what they are about, but it's the members who dictate the rules, not the mass membership though, only the minority who can be bothered to go to the AGM and these by definition are 'the best in the UK' So, what we end up with is a mixed bag of different ideas collated by the BRCA, and it's most definately not done with the Local Club's interest at heart, it's done with an individual's idea of what best suits them.

So, to summarise your post:

1. The Nationals arn't for newcomers.
2. It's ridiculous to run 2 sets of rules. (i agree)
3. Newcomers must run National rules so that the minority top UK drivers dont have to buy 2 sets of gear so that they can run club rules.

I'm not trying to dig at anyone here, just trying to point out that even though you have a point, so has Jolly so everyone, please try and post positively and without trying to belittle the person you are responding to because all that you mainly achieve is to get people's backs up and this is how arguments start, and what does this acheive?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother

you read it wrong & keep you shirt on chill

newcomers!!! i meant newer racers just leaving the club scene for the nats

2 seperate rules ? errr No! on that one ,by the way you have 2 different rule stuff allready
clubs & series allow Li-Po ,BRCA don`t
club & series allow c027t /X/XX ;;BRCA don`t
club & series allow Bearings in 27t ;;BRCA don`t

i`m ridiculous

get 2 sets of rule to run hand in hand with each other to help bridge the gap between club & Nats

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service