Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
Pursuing the dream >

Pursuing the dream

Pursuing the dream

Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default Pursuing the dream

Anybody got a good story dropping there life and decide to pursue your dream in the radio control industry? Thinking about getting a one way plane ticket to California and giving it a shot..
Old 10-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As long as you have the funds to survive in the beginning and the driving skills to be ultra competitive on the track, those guys are blazing fast, on the verge of out of control!! Good luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default do it now

Do it before you any commitments including a wife, kids, a mortgage, a job, etc. Just remember that if you do succeed, you will be racing toy cars for a very average living. One other thing, what you think is fun as a hobby or an activity becomes a very different thing when you have to do it for a living.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Anybody else have anything to share? Just trying to get some inspiration
Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Have you been to any "big events" and talked to the pros?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Have you been to any "big events" and talked to the pros?
Yes. This was all while I was real young though and all had the same input. Stay in school and get an education. That has come and gone and really considering going for the dream.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

You'll never know unless you try!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Joe Alessi moved out there. He owns Lucky 7, but I am not sure he went because of RC. How old are you? I hate to say it, but it seems teams are looking for younger demographics today. In addition, where do you live now? After watching the off-road fuel nationals this year, I can pretty much say it appeared most of the east coast guys were battling for the D-Main national championship. The West Coast crew really has it going on and they are top notch.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jmackani
Joe Alessi moved out there. He owns Lucky 7, but I am not sure he went because of RC. How old are you? I hate to say it, but it seems teams are looking for younger demographics today. In addition, where do you live now? After watching the off-road fuel nationals this year, I can pretty much say it appeared most of the east coast guys were battling for the D-Main national championship. The West Coast crew really has it going on and they are top notch.
19 from jersey.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody_ferone
19 from jersey.
Where do you run at? Critters, Jackson, Vineland, Horsham? What classes are you running? Do you know Anthony Mazzara? If you have run with him, and can even hang on to his bumper, you might stand a chance on west coast. Although, the east coast does have some of the top on-road guys around. If you are running on-road, my only fear is that the numbers are declining or not as popular as the off-road scene is right now. If you have what it takes or a natural that no one has discovered with deep pockets or your parents have deep pockets and are willing to fund it, then go for it. Otherwise, get a degree and use that to get a job and support your habit. When they said stay in-school I think they meant further than high school unless your are some accelerated level genius and went straight to college at age 15.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cody_ferone
Yes. This was all while I was real young though and all had the same input. Stay in school and get an education. That has come and gone and really considering going for the dream.
:-) I thought when you said 'school has come and gone', I thought you meant you were finished with college! Your school hasn't started yet, sorry to bust your bubble, but hey, you can always patch it and refill it!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Yep! Well worth it... If you do what you love it doesn't feel like work. If you can't follow your dream and goals then what direction are you really going?
If you do sack up and make it out to Cali... Look us up
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TOPNOTCH SERIES
Yep! Well worth it... If you do what you love it doesn't feel like work. If you can't follow your dream and goals then what direction are you really going?
If you do sack up and make it out to Cali... Look us up
For sure dude! im thinking within the next 2 months. My biggest concern is finding work and a cheap place to crash.. Leaving a full time 9-5 here thats paying the bills is kinda freaking me out. haha
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

What's the hot classes out there? Is 1/8 gas still running things? Been running 2wd and 4wd mod a lot.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

My cousin lived in socal for over a year (30 mins from OCRC, WCRC, Hotrod, etc.).. Anyways, there is no cheap place to live and getting a job out there is very tough. She is moving back to FL at the end of the month because shes been looking for a job for months and not finding one. As for living in cali... Goodluck finding a cheap place... Theres no such thing lol. She was living in a studio apartment that cost more per month than my moms morgage payment on our house (in FL)...

as for hot classes, 2wd mod buggy is considered the premier class.

Honestly, not trying to crush your dreams or anything, but you really should consider going to college and getting atleast a BA degree.. Then maybe you can get in working at AE, losi, or whatever.. With no college experience, you have extremely limited options.. And unless your a god-sent RC racer (top 3 nats driver), you are going to have a really hard time making it big.. Alot of 100% drivers say its a very stressful job, and you are always travelling.. Most of them have jobs at major companies (like AE, losi, etc.) as R&D people on the off time.