Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
How to promote r/c? >

How to promote r/c?

How to promote r/c?

Old 12-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default How to promote r/c?

I know that people try alot of things for the hobby shops, but what has had the best results? Races at county fairs,Hot rod shows, local weekly stock car events.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

i would have to say the best thing we have done is a try me track for people to try at car shows or conventions. great way to let new peeps get bit by the same bug that has us all.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info Team D. Anyone else?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

we can run our nitro cars up and down our neighborhoods.. and show them off to residents..J/K

Doc.. if you think about it.. new racerz in our area are quite low. same ol faces dont ya think??

i tried recruiting my friends by bringing them to the TRACK and letting em run my sedan... usually they just wanna pick up monster trucks.

i know of nitro racers.. novice guys that dont run indoors.. i tried to get them involved.. but no results.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the best way to get people into racing is having a beginner class even for big events. Our local track Rev seems to be pretty good at attracting new racers year in year out. The novice trophies are just as nice as the Expert class and another perk for the novice is that 80% of the prizes raffled at our track are for beginners only. Getting people to buy an rtr seems pretty easy, the hardest part seems to be getting these guys to attend a race so they can stay in the hobby for longer than a month.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Doc.,

A novice class is a great idea for new guys/girls.

Mentor or buddy system would be awesome, difficult maybe to do, but would be a big benefit to the beginner.

Meet and greet seminars. Let say a factory driver comes down and does a seminar for a local track.

Race director that is responsible and knows what he/she is doing.

Advertising is one of the biggest issue this sport has. I don't know how many people have come up to me and others at the track and said, "I never new this place existed" and they live a few miles away.

A fun atmosphere that one can enjoy, and not feel intimidated. This one is also a big one, because it you have a lot of trash talking or rude comments outsiders or on lookers have no idea how to take it.

Clean and well groomed track/facility goes along way.

More if needed....

Mark
Old 12-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the replies.

Mark, You have been to alot of tracks. Do you think the appearance of our local track is a turn off for someone that would be getting into the hobby? I know we see it week after week and don't look at it as new eye's would. I know when I started there where no true track and hobby shop combos like you find now. I just wanted something and someone to race. Just wondering?

What kind of event would put the hobby in front of so many new people that might be interested?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Anyone know what a booth at a World of Wheels show costs?
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Tech Master

I think the most important thing is to run a friendly race program. Make sure to keep beginners in the loop by reminding them over the PA what they need to be doing. Even the seasoned racers need reminding from time to time.

The mentor idea is a great one as well. It can be fairly informal. The race director can get the beginners together with some of the experianced guys that like to help out.

Emphasize fun and clean racing.

Last edited by Rapid Roy; 12-27-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Rapid Roy
Old 12-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mike,

No, we don't have an appearance problem at all. I think we've got everything a racer would want. It would be nice to see a community air compressor, and maybe a tire truer for people to use. LOL. The track actually has a tire truer, but the average person doesn't know it and he/she is to shy to ask for help.

Rapid Roy is correct, that it needs to be a friendly race environment. I think sometimes we have it and sometimes we don't. There are many of times where I see what looks to be new people coming in and I here people blasting (but joking) with other racers and the outsider has no idea how to take it.

The other issue is cost. I don't care what class you run, it's simply expensive.

Mark
Old 12-29-2004, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 12-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by munrath
Mike,

The other issue is cost. I don't care what class you run, it's simply expensive.

Mark
Hey Mark,

i agree with you here. i race at a parking lot track where we attract anywhere from 20-30 kids depending on the weather.

ive answered a few questions about how fast they go.. etc.. then the costs come into play. I'll say ($200) a figure and they get this look like, "gee thats too expensive". And in the back of my mind, im only talking about a TL-01 RTR without batteries or a charger. It's really difficult to promote it to new people because of the new car / initial cost.

A teammate really wants us to promote it at a local church, but people will hesitate to plunk down $500 for a car a kid can outgrow.

I think what would be a better idea is if you see a kid at a race with a TL-01, RTR... bashing, racing, having fun. Approach them and see if they need any help. Then encourage them to come out the next month. I know when I was at Socal a few saturdays ago, i cut 2 motors for two kids. They were about ready to buy a new motor because their cars got slow. (The motor was so used I had to make 5 passes on the lathe). Anyways, offering and providing help to those that are already there might be more useful than trying to get new people in.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

I agree about helping out kids that are already in the sport. But I can only think of one new racer that was at the track in the last 4 race days. I saw Jim helping him out. Everyone else has been there a couple of years now. I just see our attendance dropping now with people running off-road at that other track in the winter time. I think that it is mostly a cost thing. You can run week after week probably the whole season with one set of slicks at that track. You also don't break many parts.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

You could try running a couple of races in the parking lot of some of the local hobby shops. Have the hobby shop sponsor the race by giving raffle prizes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service