Wiki Posts
Search

Long Island On Road Racing 2011

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by walo
Jim you have accomplish two things, interest and conversation. Let the planning begin .
What's the plan for barriers? are you still using road rails?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Not sure yet, but I still have the road rails and fire hose from last year.

I have a survey question for you guys. We need to have a meeting that will establish the club and where we can discuss all the issues. What would be a good time to have it?

Friday night?
Saturday?
Saturday night?
or Sunday?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Lord

Default Car Show Race Date is Set...

...well, sort of.

I went to the President's Council meeting yesterday. The Presdients Council is where all of the Long Island car clubs get together and announce their car show dates. This way everyone's on one palce and if there is a conflict they can work it out there.

Earlier this year one of the bigger car shows announced they were changing their date to the same date as my car clubs show. I went with my clubs president to talk about the date and see what we could work out. Unfortunately the person we needed to talk to wasn't there, but we did talk to other people in that club. It seems now they also lost their venue, so that show is up in the air. So we went to the council and make it clear our show would be on the 18th.

So the official date of The Long Island Grand Prix will be September 18th.

Last edited by jiml; 02-28-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Great news Jim, Would love to race at tanger a few times this summer season!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by plack75
How about 1/8 motorcycles?
I've been out of the look but besides the Kyosho what 1/8th scale motorcycles are out there these days?

I have 2 5th scale motorcycles, 1 EP and 1 Nitro... I have not run either in a few years though.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ralph m
Jim,

You should give some serious consideration to safety. There were many spectators dangerously close to the track in the sweeper last year. Between the 5th scales and now 1/8th's? Someone WILL get hurt.
I agree... While I was taking pictures I did ask some people to move, I do understand the risks... (There's a video of me jumping up on the barriers during a Demo derby at Riverhead, lol)

The problem with barriers that will stop the cars (unless you really get one airborn) is the money, weight and storage. We'd need a trailer and a place to store this trailer. Plus there is significant setup and tear down time involved.

Yea, I know I've been saying I'll fix my car but if there's truly an interest I'll actually fix the thing... I have a lot of money into my Evo 7 and it's a shame to see it just sitting on my workbench....

I'm in it for 5th scale, I MIGHT pull out a 10th scale but it's a huge maybe, I enjoy the big cars and gasoline....
Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Lord

For the nitro cars, a 4 inch high plywood barrier all around the track is usually enough, although there should also be a secondary barrier. For the Tanger lot we should use this for the electrics as well.

For 5th scale something much stronger will be needed. I was going to lean on the 5th scale racers to come up with something, but as of right now I haven't heard from any 5th scale racers. You don't count because your car isn't running!

I also haven't heard from any of the nitro racers. Yea I know it's a parking lot but it's better than nothing. You go over to the Brooklyn thread and you see some crazy stuff there, but I'm confident they will be racing at Floyd this year.

I have a lot of work to do contacting a bunch of people to see what we can arrange.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
I've been out of the look but besides the Kyosho what 1/8th scale motorcycles are out there these days?

I have 2 5th scale motorcycles, 1 EP and 1 Nitro... I have not run either in a few years though.
Venom has one.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
For the nitro cars, a 4 inch high plywood barrier all around the track is usually enough, although there should also be a secondary barrier. For the Tanger lot we should use this for the electrics as well.

For 5th scale something much stronger will be needed. I was going to lean on the 5th scale racers to come up with something, but as of right now I haven't heard from any 5th scale racers. You don't count because your car isn't running!

I also haven't heard from any of the nitro racers. Yea I know it's a parking lot but it's better than nothing. You go over to the Brooklyn thread and you see some crazy stuff there, but I'm confident they will be racing at Floyd this year.

I have a lot of work to do contacting a bunch of people to see what we can arrange.
Actually, you're incorrect, it runs... I'm assuming my trip through the boards at 301 started what would eventually strip the threads on the left front knuckle. I either have to find small enough metric heli coils or replace the whole knuckle. It pissed me off and I put the car on the shelf...

My other issue is do I continue to use my Nomadio radios or ditch them and dig my Futaba stuff out... Wont discuss my disgust with Nomadio ditching their RC line, they still owe me stuff... Think I'm just gonna put the whole lot up on ebay.

4" plywood wouldn't be enough for 8th scale, they may not have the weight of a 5th scale but they definitely have speed behind them. I've seen the different ways of constructing barriers and I have some good ideas, still need someone to transport and store.

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Venom has one.
Gotta take a look at 2 wheel hobbies... I've got a Kyosho HOR somewhere in a box, never liked it. I'd pull out the 5th scale bikes...
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Give me a PM before you put your Nomadio stuff up.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I will mainly be racing at FBF this season but I would definitely come out there to race nitro. As long as it doesnt conflict with FBF's schedule I'll be there. The more places the better. I would be coming with two other guys as well.

Most of us racers started racing in parking lots anyway.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Lord

I'm not going to conflict with Floyd races because I want to race there too!

I have more problems with the date for the big race. As soon as those get straightened out I'll work on a schedule.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

This bump is dedicated to Mr. Greg Sharpe.

I just went over this thread and realized I didn't update the race info. So to make it official,

The 2011 Long Island RC Grand Prix will be on Sunday, September 18th, 2011!!!

The car show date conflict was resolved when the one big car show, who said they didn't want to have their show on the previous weekend (which is 9/11) decided to have their show on 9/11 and dedicate the show to the veterans.

The car show and the race are to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, wil all proceeds going to that charity.

I am also working on another possible car show/RC car race at Tanger for July 10th. Again this will be for charity but not just one. There are 2 other car clubs looking to my club for help with putting on an event, and each club wants to do it for a different charity. So the RC race can be for a different charity of our choosing, and I have one in mind. Again this one is in the early planning stages.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Hey Jim It's Pucho I am looking forward to racing with you out on the Island because of so many conflicts with my work schedule I hope i get to stretch my VTA a little further then just 2 races this year..... See you soon buddy.....
Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
This bump is dedicated to Mr. Greg Sharpe.

I just went over this thread and realized I didn't update the race info. So to make it official,

The 2011 Long Island RC Grand Prix will be on Sunday, September 18th, 2011!!!

The car show date conflict was resolved when the one big car show, who said they didn't want to have their show on the previous weekend (which is 9/11) decided to have their show on 9/11 and dedicate the show to the veterans.

The car show and the race are to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, wil all proceeds going to that charity.

I am also working on another possible car show/RC car race at Tanger for July 10th. Again this will be for charity but not just one. There are 2 other car clubs looking to my club for help with putting on an event, and each club wants to do it for a different charity. So the RC race can be for a different charity of our choosing, and I have one in mind. Again this one is in the early planning stages.
Would be nice to support the relief effort for Japan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.