Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Racing Forum
NY HPI Challenge >

NY HPI Challenge

NY HPI Challenge

Old 08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Default HPI Challenge 2004

I don't visit forums too often but a few people asked me to chime in. The track for the HPI challenge will be set up on friday - rain or shine. It will be ready for Saturday and Sunday and hopefully it won't rain. We are bringing parts. tires etc. Wolfpack Radicals has donated some FREE parts. There are 192 entries today Monday 16th. A lot of people feel they can just sign up and go on race day - that won't happen. At this point I am going to allow categories to fill up but not add any more heats. 200 entries makes the racing more exciting. I will try to help people have a good time
tom baffer
Race Director
Bruckner Hobbies
Old 08-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: HPI Challenge 2004

Originally posted by tbaffer
I don't visit forums too often but a few people asked me to chime in. The track for the HPI challenge will be set up on friday - rain or shine. It will be ready for Saturday and Sunday and hopefully it won't rain. We are bringing parts. tires etc. Wolfpack Radicals has donated some FREE parts. There are 192 entries today Monday 16th. A lot of people feel they can just sign up and go on race day - that won't happen. At this point I am going to allow categories to fill up but not add any more heats. 200 entries makes the racing more exciting. I will try to help people have a good time
tom baffer
Race Director
Bruckner Hobbies
Thanks Tom!

Last time you guys put on a great event. I am sure this one will be better.

Can't wait!

"... ....... is out"
Old 08-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tom,

I'm glad you posted. I called last week and was told that I could register the day of the event, well after reading your post, I called and registered over the phone, so you should have a spot for Reuben Williams, I spoke to Dan.

Just hope the rain holds off.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

As of today Tuesday 16th I have 200 entries. I went and bought more transponders and newer software so that I can run up to 13 racers in a heat. This will allow some more people to race without increasing the number of heats. I intend to run 2 qualifiers on Saturday, one on Sunday and then the mains. I need to have people signed up before race day so that I can plan everything, erspecially the amount of time required to run all races. I expect to run 50 heats at 8 minutes per heat = 400 minutes or a little less than 7 hours. Start at 12 noon, finish by 7PM. Obviously I need everyones cooperation. I intend to have one group racing and the next two heats in staging areas - ready to go. This race should be the one that everyone who missed it will regret. Have fun and good racing!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:34 AM
Tech Addict

13 racers in one heat .............

boy that's gonna be crowded.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Will there be any electric available for the racers or are we on our own as far as that goes???
Old 08-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Let me be the first to say THANKS to everyone at HPI/BRUCKNER for doing a great job!

We got rained out on Saturday (after the concourse, some practice and 2 heats in the first round) but they managed to finish two full rounds of qualifying and the mains in one day on sunday.

I had a great time, good to see everyone again!

CAN"T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Louisville, KY!.. USA!! ....Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I second that.....The Baffers and Bruckner hobbies did a great job..........they deserve a tremendous amount of credit for taking on the challenge on short notice.......and having it run so smoothly......
Old 08-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Glad everyone had a good time. 13 in a heat really was not too bad but it allowed us to have 60 races on Sunday. I have no complaints except for the few guys who don't want to marshall. I would disqualify anyone who misses 2 times - it's not fair to those who do marshall. By the way I am running the races in Edison NJ 1/8th on road and nitro touring cars - next race is Sept 5th. The track is very big. www.brucknerhobbies.com has the info.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Honestly ,

Tom DID do a good job calling the races,, Thumbs up to you dude !

But .........

The track was horrible ( next time yellow boards instead of white ones that blend in with the parking stall lines.)

The radio impound was horrible. ( pile em up in a bucket in the sun... great idea

That old F*#cker helping Tom was just mean to about every racer, Check your attitude A hole !!

If everything was in place at "the crack of dawn" like we were told, Everyone would have had a chance to finish thier mains, I had 3 friends that did'nt even get a chance to race.

But thanks Tom you did your best and we all appreciate it !

but next year Please ............

South Jersey Cost Controlled Racing (SJCCR)
Old 08-24-2004, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

uh..that old guy helping tom was his Dad..so you might want to keep your opinions to yourself...as well as your choice of language.......

and not to start anything,but things happen.....we started racing at 9....they squeezed in an extra round of quilifying that was voted on by the racers........AND,at the time,TOM STATED he would run run the extra round,but some of the finals might not get run....and I saw NO ONE'S hand up on the "NO" vote,so everyone understood the terms.......(including your freinds)

Without the professionall job they(all the Baffers and Bruckner hobbies crew) did,you wouldn't have gotten that in...

BTW(and I love Ray Murray and the job he did last year)....
But I remember running my cars in the dark and COOL track last year in Deptford because of the computer problems that occured all day....so things happen to everyone...

You ought to be glad Tom JR and his "OLD MAN"(Who started Bruckner Hobbies) gave you a chance to race.......I didn't see Cost controlled racing jumping at the chance...

Last edited by fastharry™; 08-24-2004 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

And lets not forget to give a big thanks to HPI RACING for running another Challenge......

HPI did the challenge's this year after the outpouring of emotion from the racers....and they did it for us........

Hopefully they will benefit from the exposure and continue to do them in the future....
Old 08-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

FastHarry is right. Mr Baffer did a great job.

Everyone voted and wanted to race. He said it would get late. We raced until 11pm-ish last year on Sunday and that only had one round of heats and the mains. So to get two round and the mains is was awesome.

The track was a great layout, had decent traction and was fine. I have been to plenty of tracks that have white boards, RoadRail is white and just about all indoor tracks have white boards/pipe. I don't think it was an issue at all.

Mr Baffer also did a good job of calling many of the races.

Sorry if you didn't have a great time but a post like that is unnecessary.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by treky11
FastHarry is right. Mr Baffer did a great job.

Everyone voted and wanted to race. He said it would get late. We raced until 11pm-ish last year on Sunday and that only had one round of heats and the mains. So to get two round and the mains is was awesome.

The track was a great layout, had decent traction and was fine. I have been to plenty of tracks that have white boards, RoadRail is white and just about all indoor tracks have white boards/pipe. I don't think it was an issue at all.

Mr Baffer also did a good job of calling many of the races.

Sorry if you didn't have a great time but a post like that is unnecessary.
Actually, the white boards was a problem. The white boards would blend into the white parking line paint and was difficult to differentiate at first. I overheard several racers complaining about the boards. That was a minor problem, except when the boards were moved. A quick solution to that would be to add red cones. And as for the aspault, I'm sure there were better places to host this, but on such short notice, I'm willing to let that slide by. And congrats on being able to pull off 2 quals and a main, especially since many were first time racers or newbies. When you have racers that run on a regular basis every weekend, it's very easy to pull off 2 quals and a main. So again, congrats on Bruckners pulling it off. Trust me...I needed that second qualifier. I had problems my first qual, especially in Nitro mod. berfore the 2nd qual, I was 39th overall. After the 2nd qual, I managed to qualify into 4th position.

All in all, I had a good time as always. I didn't make the challenge last year so I was really looking forward to this year's challenge. I hope that HPI will continue to hold CHALLENGES. So to everybody, let's not forgot to drop an email or better a phone call to HPI and let them know how you feel. Remember that the only reason HPI is in business is to serve the racers.

See you all next year!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Bagamaspad
Old 08-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Ok, Time for me to add my two cents.

1. Thanks goes out to HPI for having another challenge. I can speak for all the guys that go to the challeges that we do appreciate the fact that HPI is willing to come out to the east coast to hold a race. And we will continue to appreciate their efforts (hint hint, next year) Kent, I hope your reading

2. The fact that they allowed the racers to decide on a second round before the mains. (it didn't help me out but it was nice)

3. Tom did a really good job calling the mains, and allowing as much time as he could to allow racers to get their cars ready.

Dislikes:

1: No drivers meeting. I think the races would have run smoother if one was held

2. The radio impound. That sun was killing the radios, and not everyone had their radio in the impound.

In all:

Dispite the fact that the bad luck bug bite me, I still had fun. Given the situation we were under, I think Tom and his crew did a great job. Yes I can see how Tom and his Dad can come across as being a bite rude, heck some will say his dad is down right rude. I just think you have to understand them before you approach them. Once you know how they are, you won't get offended.

THANKS again to HPI for coming out, Kent, please use whatever power you have to keep the series alive. Thanks to Tom and his crew. Despite the rain on Sat. it was still a good weekend and I had a blast.

Kent, look forward to seeing HPI over on the east coast next year (hint hint)

I could say more but that is enough.

Fastharry and Eric, just wait till next year when I can actually get some practice time before the challenge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.