Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just thought of a new Rule Set....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Just thought of a new Rule Set....

You guys will have to bear with me on this one. I was watching some racing on the TV and thought this would be a cool idea and want to hear your opinions, good or bad.

Now, I come from a city that doesn't really do a whole lot in regards to RC racing. That would be Rapid City, South Dakota. So it might be I am just looking for something more, but who knows. A lot of times it seems that we don't have enough vehicles for a class, so sometimes we have to combine some classes just to get enough vehicles in the main. I know, its blasphemy to run a shortcourse truck against stadium trucks on the same track.

To generalize my idea, I'll put it in this kind of perspective. My idea is closer to how the Baja 1000 and the LeMans series is run (everyone runs together.) What we do now is closer to Nascar (classes are segregated to running at different times and not together).

Well, I was just watching the Le Mans series on TV and the thought just ocurred to me. On there, they were running all the cars on the track at one time. The same goes for the Baja 1000, everyone is on the race course at the same time generally. You have trucks racing with the buggies and the dirtbikes at the same time. Then you have the podium for the overall win, so all the classes are grouped for this podium. Then they break it down into buggy, truck, dirtbike, and atv. So they really aren't racing out of class, although they may be racing another different vehicle on the course some point throughout the race.

Why can't we do something like that, especially with the variety of classes that are being raced now. Rather than having 1/10 stock buggy, superstock buggy, and mod buggy, then all of the respective stadium truck and shortcourse truck classes after that, why can't we just group them all together but split them based on stock, superstock, and mod. So all the stock buggies, stadium trucks, and SCT's race together in one race. Then same goes for superstock and mod. Then when the racing is all over, declare the overall winner (the guy who won the A-Main), and then declare the individual class winners and such. So even if the top SCT guy could only place 3rd in the overall B-Main because the buggies were so quick on that track, he would be the 1st place winner in SCT after all the racing was done, because he placed the best out of all the SCT's.

Catching my drift?

This could be done for 1/8 scale vehicles too. We could put the buggies, truggies, and Monster trucks in the same race.

I just like this rule set for a few reasons.

-more competitive racing. With all the classes out there at once, people will feel there is more competition out there. Lets face it, if you are driving a SCT and railing the hell out of a buggy or stadium truck, there is going to be some serious competition going on to keep the lead.

-spectators! People like to watch the racing, but I believe this will attract their attention a little better.

I could go on forever, but the only thing I see that people will hate my idea for is the fact that if you go with this rule set, it will be much harder for a racer to race multiple classes. If you want to drive both a buggy and a truck in the 1/10 scale, you would have to run one of them mod and the other stock, or whatever. I can see that as a hinderance, but this could be great for most guys who don't want to spend a fortune on racing so many vehicles. This means they can race against every class in their scale without having to own multiple vehicles. Besides, who has the big money to race competitively in every class available anyways.

Give your thoughts, guys! I want to see how well my thinking is going on this. Who knows, maybe I can get a race director to take this idea and bring it to life!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Because toy car racers are impatient overtakers. Right now, it's up to the slower cars to get out of the way, but that doesn't work when the slower class cars are battling for position as the faster class cars (or trucks) come blasting through. Heck, even the 1:1 guys complain about the slower cars in ALMS, F1, LeMans, and Rolex. I love this idea, but "we" as a community of hobbyists aren't sophisticated enough to handle multiple classes on the same track......but I want you to prove me wrong so I can point to your race as an example of successful multi-class racing. I want to make this happen as well. My local area has a great onroad track where I'd like to have a bunch of WGT cars with Protoform Mulsanne bodies running along side a bunch of TCs with proper GT bodies (911, Ferrari, Vette, etc) for an endurance race. Just like you proposed, one track, multiple classes with multiple podiums.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

We actually do this at our offroad track....The popular classes (1/8th Buggy and Truggy) still race as usual, but the small classes all race together and get scored separately like you mentioned.

Six cars make a class....anything less goes into a combined class.

Plus, our scoring software (Autoscore) will assign points according to the class (instead of overall finishing position) in case you are running a point series. I'm sure other software can do the same.

I really like this concept because you can have a full heat, have enough marshalls for the following heat, and save a lot of time by condensing classes....
Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

We've considered an endurance race based on this theory. VTA, 17.5 and mod TC all on the track at the same time. No real rules set just yet, but the thought was very entertaining to all. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a quick video, I have better, but I can't find them right now.

This was when I first started racing my Blitz. It was ALL stock against mod class stadium trucks, but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I still think it was funny that I was racing here with no brakes. Damn RTR electronics anyhow.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=media#!/...=1345103955128
Old 07-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes the racing is lacking in rapid a lot of it is due to the leadership of the club.
Plus most of the rc racers also race karts so they don't want to be bothered with rc racing in the summer. There website hasn't been updated in 3 years. Rapid has always been a race what you bring. Plus rapid is alot backwards stadium trucks on carpet? Foam touring car? But I have always enjoyed running the mixed classes. Maybe if I find a job you won't be the only stadium truck in rapid. Get a 1/8 late model body maybe run some stadium truck oval also.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

turn marshals... also most transponder systems only hold a certain number of cars 10-20. sounds cool though.